Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Hail Damage Assessment

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hail Damage Assessment

I was one of the 15,000 people who had claims in the SE for hail damage. I took it to a body shop here and they are saying I need to:
Replace the hood:

Pop out dents on DR Quarter Panel

Pop out dents on PR Quarter Panel and paint the panels and hood.

I'm not worried about it since I have full coverage, but does $2,970 sound about right to do all that?

Also, I noticed some molding or trim that is cracked around the windshield on both sides. This is my other question: Are these pieces connected to the windshield? What's involved in replacing these? How much should it cost?

I have to wait til June 2nd to meet with a claims adjuster and I want to have a good idea of what everythings going to cost before I take it in. Any help would be appreciated.

PS: I've had the car for eight months, I have polished and waxed the hell out of it and even after the hail and rain water still beads up . I used to walk out to start it up in the morning and just look at it and it made me happy haha. Now I go out and . It makes me sick to see it and I hate that feeling. My roommate has a 2 car garage with his POS civic in it and a bunch of boxes. He owns the house and refused to make room for my car even though I told him I would move everything.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Teching In

The window trim pieces slip off (have to push mine back on all the time). I negotiated a body shop to patch a huge hole in my door (my old 96 z28), big dent in driver rear quarter and repaint the spoiler, all for $800. Your problem is they want to repaint the whole car. Let that quote go to the insurance, get the check and go to a cheaper body shop.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mudluver27
The window trim pieces slip off (have to push mine back on all the time). I negotiated a body shop to patch a huge hole in my door (my old 96 z28), big dent in driver rear quarter and repaint the spoiler, all for $800. Your problem is they want to repaint the whole car. Let that quote go to the insurance, get the check and go to a cheaper body shop.
That's the plan. I have a Sunoco SS hood lined up already
Old 05-04-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would have punched that dude in his **** if i was you. it sounds alittle high by it could be right depending on your area. nows your chance to get a new hood and paint it. those little dents arent gonna be too much of a hassle to the bodyshop
Old 05-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Like Tim said, were just glad yall are ok
Old 05-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Looks to me like painless dent removal might be able to fix the quarter. If so all that would need paint would be the new hood.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

I work at a shop in tn and it's horrible damage to the cars we are seeing,some estimates around 9,000 I'll be busy for the next year,I put my TA in the shop 2 hrs before it hit,but it got my wifes trailblazer n my house pretty good,need to pray for the ones that lost more just thinking God it didn't get worse here
Old 05-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Teching In

there is a company out there named indent usa they repair dents without refinishing my uncle does it professionally.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SinisterZ28
I work at a shop in tn and it's horrible damage to the cars we are seeing,some estimates around 9,000 I'll be busy for the next year,I put my TA in the shop 2 hrs before it hit,but it got my wifes trailblazer n my house pretty good,need to pray for the ones that lost more just thinking God it didn't get worse here
I've seen the pictures of AL. Def be praying for those folks. I'd rather get it repainted if they're going to pop the dents out. I've heard the paint will become brittle and crack once the panel has been dented.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudluver27
Like Tim said, were just glad yall are ok
Hope you get her all fixed up bro
Old 05-10-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Insurance called today! I have to drive to Alcoa on Monday the 16th which is about 45 mins but its a hell of a lot better than waiting two more weeks.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

I got hit with hail in my buick it was cheaper to replace the hood and trunk than have it fixed.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too am one of the 15,000...... My 98 T/A was beat up pretty bad too. I went to Alcoa and they cut me a check and now i am searching for a Ram Air hood and have a line on a good PDR place that i will check out once the rush here dies down some.
Good luck with your car.

Dave
Old 05-13-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by redsscamaroboy
I too am one of the 15,000...... My 98 T/A was beat up pretty bad too. I went to Alcoa and they cut me a check and now i am searching for a Ram Air hood and have a line on a good PDR place that i will check out once the rush here dies down some.
Good luck with your car.

Dave
So they cut you a check right there in Alcoa? i'm supposed to head up there on thursday next week and it would be awesome if they get me a check then. I have a suncoast hood lined up and hopefully I can find a place in Nashville to do the body work. We shall see. LMK where you take yours cause i'd like to find a good place to do this. Are they going to have to repaint the panels?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just got back from the drive thru claims hut. The guys that are doing the adjustments are from FL and Dallas, but they sure are living comfortable. They had a long line of cones lined up that I really wanted to fly through but I figured my ins company wouldn't think it was funny. They also asked me how fast I've had it, idk if it was a trick i just said "faster than I want to tell my ins company".

Anyway, they cut me a check for $3700, the guy couldn't find the trim pieces around the windshield in his parts book so hopefully the body shop can. Any help on finding those would be great, or I guess I'll head to a junkyard and cut some off.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check with an auto glass place, they may know where to get those parts.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

So I took it to a body shop and they noticed little nicks ALL over the windshield from the hail. Great. The body shop just called and said they weren't going to be able to do the driver side quarter paintless because of the gas cap and inlet tube? Does that sound right? I really don't know what's involved in PDR but i figured there would be plenty of room in there?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A body shop is trying to take dents out, due to being able to access the panel from the inside. Since the filler neck is in the way, they may need to sand, fill, level, and paint. Sometimes you can't get all of them.

Be thankful you do not have metallic paint. A car like this would need possibly a complete re shoot.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
A body shop is trying to take dents out, due to being able to access the panel from the inside. Since the filler neck is in the way, they may need to sand, fill, level, and paint. Sometimes you can't get all of them.

Be thankful you do not have metallic paint. A car like this would need possibly a complete re shoot.
Thanks. ok, I knew that they would go from the inside I just figured there would be room in there to get those. Oh well, hopefully I can call the insurance and get an adjustment to my check and they wont total it. We shall see.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see why the car would need the panels repainted. All of that should be able to be paintless dent repaired. It's steel. Paint sticks to steel usually and I doubt it'll crack.

Guess I should mention the reason I think that. My sister's Z28 was hit by 3 pieces of hail. 1 baseball size in the quarterpanel and 2 golf ball size on the hood. The car was at the GM dealership for A/C repairs and in their parking garage when the hail storm came. The dealership repaired the car under their insurance for free. All that was required was PDR. The quarter panel one was very deep and I can't tell it was ever there.

Last edited by Brangeta; 06-10-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Hail Damage Assessment