Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Matching NBM paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matching NBM paint

How hard is it to match navy blue metallic paint? I've read online that some shops can match it out perfect and some it turns out more black than blue. Any tips or tricks on getting it to match right? Thanks!
Old 08-21-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a guy mix me some NBM and it came out exactly the same. i just gave him my paint code.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
i had a guy mix me some NBM and it came out exactly the same. i just gave him my paint code.
Thanks! How much paint would it take to spray a front and rear bumper?
Old 08-21-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

According to what kind of paint you use,20 oz unreduced will be more than enough,a pint unreduced will probably do it with good paint but 20 oz. On the safe side.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

Use a dark sealer also will help
Old 08-21-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm about to spray my ws6 hood NBM in a few weeks, I'm not going to bother blending everything because I'll be respraying the whole car eventually so hopefully it matches decently

anyone use PPG omni in this color?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
I'm about to spray my ws6 hood NBM in a few weeks, I'm not going to bother blending everything because I'll be respraying the whole car eventually so hopefully it matches decently

anyone use PPG omni in this color?
Im curious to see how its going to look like as I was quoted for a full repaint on my NBM SS and they are using PPG paint.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:17 AM
11 Second Club

I just used the napa paint, martin senour, and it laid down nicely in the engine bay. I've never used anything other than a rattle can. It looks much better than the rest of my car . If I didn't need to get my car running, I'd paint the whole car.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help! Is NBM paint expensive?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:29 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by DDrumR
How hard is it to match navy blue metallic paint? I've read online that some shops can match it out perfect and some it turns out more black than blue. Any tips or tricks on getting it to match right? Thanks!
The big issue comes form not the mixture of the paint but rather how its applied, pressure, and technique.

I had my WS.9 Hood done a few years ago and the shop I will say got it near perfect. Blended it into the fenders and doors and got the "factory orange peel" perfect as in some cases too perfect of a paint job can stand out and take away from older paint.

Most metallics can be hard to match simply because of the contents. Since its a factory color, you will stand a good chance to get a good match but when you start dealing with one-off mixes, then its a whole different kettle of fish.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
The big issue comes form not the mixture of the paint but rather how its applied, pressure, and technique.

I had my WS.9 Hood done a few years ago and the shop I will say got it near perfect. Blended it into the fenders and doors and got the "factory orange peel" perfect as in some cases too perfect of a paint job can stand out and take away from older paint.

Most metallics can be hard to match simply because of the contents. Since its a factory color, you will stand a good chance to get a good match but when you start dealing with one-off mixes, then its a whole different kettle of fish.
I came in at the right time. I'm looking at getting my hood and a front bumper cover done NBM and the guy mentioned "blending them" onto the fenders. I don't understand this term, our cars have paint and then Clear Coat correct? If you blend , what is the correct process? spray paint over the clear then add more clear? Please help me to understand this process, I want it done right but I can't get that done if I don't know what Right is.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by LS1121
I came in at the right time. I'm looking at getting my hood and a front bumper cover done NBM and the guy mentioned "blending them" onto the fenders. I don't understand this term, our cars have paint and then Clear Coat correct? If you blend , what is the correct process? spray paint over the clear then add more clear? Please help me to understand this process, I want it done right but I can't get that done if I don't know what Right is.
The human eye can detect small difference in paint between panels. Heck depending on the meterial used and when it was sprayed you can see factory difference. Best example I ever saw was on a 2004 GTO, Yellow Jacket paint and the spoiler had the look of a dull banana color.

Yes our cars are a 2 stage paint/clear vs single stage "All in one".

This was the best web based example of blending.

http://www.jackspaintplace.com/blending.htm

http://www.autobodysupply.net/Articles.asp?ID=140 A good explaination on product variation, even among the factory.

My car more or less was half painted and It came out great but I was not that more away from just having it redone....
Old 09-01-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
The human eye can detect small difference in paint between panels. Heck depending on the meterial used and when it was sprayed you can see factory difference. Best example I ever saw was on a 2004 GTO, Yellow Jacket paint and the spoiler had the look of a dull banana color.

Yes our cars are a 2 stage paint/clear vs single stage "All in one".

This was the best web based example of blending.

http://www.jackspaintplace.com/blending.htm

http://www.autobodysupply.net/Articles.asp?ID=140 A good explaination on product variation, even among the factory.

My car more or less was half painted and It came out great but I was not that more away from just having it redone....
Thanx man great information. I'm going to have my aftermarket SS hood and a new front bumper cover painted. Now i understand.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Duplicolor NBM spray paint in the 5 oz is no longer available, BUT you can buy NBM paint here:

http://automotivetouchup.com/choosec...t&model=Camaro

I was just looking for it myself...

Quick Reply: Matching NBM paint