Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Pissed... whats this gonna cost?(PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 07:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Pissed... whats this gonna cost?(PICS)

Somebody pulled out in front of me today and then ran off. He said I got not insurance and no license and I got to go. Whats the damage gonna be on this? thanks. It warped my airbox lid, knocked my grille out , shoved my bumper in and screwed up my fiberglass SS hood. Thats another thing im worried about. Since my car is a Z with a SS hood will they put a SS hood back? I also had a billet grille, and aftermarket lid. I don't want stock crap back. heres the pics

Old 10-19-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't so much be worried about what hood they put on it. I'd be more concerned about it being totaled if it messed up the core support. It's a 2000 right? How many miles? If it's over 100k, then she's probably a goner if the core support and the frame horns are fucked up. I've seen quite a few of the same year at my job get totaled because of that
Old 10-19-2011, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

How can I tell if they're damaged? I drove it home if that means anything.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:02 PM
10 Second Club

Oh and its got a 120,000 on it. Man I hope they don't total it.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Easiest way to tell is to look for any cracks or stressed parts behind the bumper. Also check to see if your radiator seems crooked in any direction other than the factory lean backwards they take. If they are, you are fucked. If not they may save it if you use used or aftermarket parts. It really depends on how nice your insurance company is and what shop you go to for an estimate

EDIT: I looked at one of your pics and one of the radiator support rails looks kinked on the drivers side..... I'd get an estimate anyways but it doesn't look good.

Last edited by Blackhawk777; 10-19-2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: re re moment
Old 10-19-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

If you fear it getting totaled and you drove it home have someone who knows what there looking at to make sure you didnt bend the support or any frame damage and fix it yourself . It may take longer but if you want to keep the car its probably the best way to go . GL
Old 10-19-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ocala93TA
If you fear it getting totaled and you drove it home have someone who knows what there looking at to make sure you didnt bend the support or any frame damage and fix it yourself . It may take longer but if you want to keep the car its probably the best way to go . GL
He hit the nail on the head really.... That's about the best option.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

Well if they do total it couldn't I buy it back and have it fixed with a salvage title? I'm gonna go outside and take a few more quick pics up close of everything and post them up. The car was actually hit on the drivers side before. Alot of the little things were missing or loose. The front clip hung down slightly before and some of the bolts were missing. It also had a new headlight on the driver side. It wasn't yellow and the passenger was. I'm gonna say anything bent was probably there before. Whoever fixed it before did a crappy job. I'll brb with more pics.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

I took some pics but you can tell as much from the ones thats on here all ready. The frame rail looks exactly the same on the drivers side as the passenger. Its got that little dent and overlap on it. underneath the bumper never made it no where near the radiator or the air dam. The radiator is straight from what I can tell. It does look like someone spilt some body filler or something on the frame rail on the passenger side tho. Im thinking I'll be good hopefully anyway. In the event that they do fix the car will they put all stock parts back or will they put back what I've got? thanks
Old 10-19-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd go get a qoute first before you go to your insurance that way you can figure if there gonna total it get the blue book value of your car usually if the damage is 70% of the value they will total it but your insurance may be different so don't take my exact word for it. Having a salvaged title could be a little tricky getting insurance on it so if you know there gonna total it I wouldn't even go to your insurance. It doesnt look all that bad from the pictures if you can take some more pictures in the daylight of your frame rails,core support and structural parts we can probably tell you how bad it is. From what you described in your last post it sounds like some seem sealer has popped somewhere. As for the guy running off I would have chase him to his house and called the police
Old 10-19-2011, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 6898camaross
As for the guy running off I would have chase him to his house and called the police
This.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately, insurance will not usually replace aftermarket parts or body panels that did not come on your car stock. I would do what everyone else said. Take it to a frame and alignment shop and have them look at it.

Your damage looks mostly cosmetic, except for the tweaked radiator support. You can pull the bumper and impact bar and have a look at the front horns. If you're lucky, they won't be bent at all.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:53 AM
10 Second Club

We knew the guy. We told the cop where he lived and everything. The cop more or less told me I was screwed in the situation anyway. Whether they take him to jail or not my insurance is stuck paying for the hole thing. He said if he couldn't find him he would leave his card with his relatives and tell him he had until 12 oclock to call him and he would treat it like a normal accident or if not he would be charged with some kind of felony. I was pissed, panicing I didn't know what to do. Maybe I can work something out with the body guy since aftermarket parts are cheaper than originals anyway.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:03 AM
Launching!

they gonna totaled it bro, you can always get it back... if the hood did not came with car, they gonna put the z hood on there,,you pay the difference for the ss hood, if they fix the car.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

depends on what state whether or not you have to get a salvage title.

tbh if you're mechanically inclined you could wind up making a little money. insurance totalled out a truck I had, I got it back plus 500 less than Norfolk, fixed it for a grand and a weekend of my time, wound up pocketing 4k.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Yeah insurance companies total these cars like no tomorrow. They totaled my V6 after I wrecked on black ice heading home from work. Needed new front bumper, right-front quarter panel, 1x new rim, dented oil pan, and a log that my car rested on bent the exhaust at the headers. They said it was more than 4.5K in damage so they totaled it and gave me 4.5 grand. I would of bought it back but I was deploying in 15 days and I was ready to do away with a 6 cyl. They are not going to replace your hood, in some cases they will actually put any hood that came from the factory of that car on it.

Might as well just cut your loss and fix it yourself if you dont want it totaled. Someone backed into my v6 in a friggin football field sized parking lot and noone saw it, they destroyed the front bumper and pushed my driver headlight in so bad it broke the motor. Ended up dishing out 800 bucks to fix it myself. 2 Months later I wrecked it on the black ice, but live and learn. Any signs of rain in winter months and I will be taking the wifes FWD to work lol.

Man, I miss that car it was only a 6 but I had some fun in it, lol.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6_Veteran
Yeah insurance companies total these cars like no tomorrow. They totaled my V6 after I wrecked on black ice heading home from work. Needed new front bumper, right-front quarter panel, 1x new rim, dented oil pan, and a log that my car rested on bent the exhaust at the headers. They said it was more than 4.5K in damage so they totaled it and gave me 4.5 grand. I would of bought it back but I was deploying in 15 days and I was ready to do away with a 6 cyl. They are not going to replace your hood, in some cases they will actually put any hood that came from the factory of that car on it.
This is why I'm not going to be putting a lot of money into mine.

I already need a new driver door, front and rear bumpers.. my car is already totaled.

hate to say man, it doesn't look good. They total these cars for ANYTHING.

Best bet is to have it fixed on your own.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Teching In

they totaled my car some guy tried to beat a train and t-boned me
Old 10-22-2011, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

It seems like a lot of people have their V6s totaled, almost like some traffic lord doesn't like them.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everytime ive had a wreck, The insurance company replaces what it had, So if it had a ss hood on it aftermarket thats what they put back on, Also do not let them put aftermarket fenders on it unless you know for a fact their a good company, Every after market fender ive had never has the point right by the headlight it seems, Good luck op

Quick Reply: Pissed... whats this gonna cost?(PICS)