Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How to remove the Door Belt Molding?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove the Door Belt Molding?

was trying to remove it to paint my camaro. went ahead and taped it off but would rather remove it if it isnt too hard.

Last edited by FastRidesOnly; 12-06-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the door trim or the body trim?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Door Belt Molding. goes against the window on the exterior

Old 12-06-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

remove door panel, remove side mirror and bracket, use small flat tip screwdriver to GENTLY open the clips.. they will most likely be rusted and break, rarely can you reuse them.. you MUST open the clips.. if you dont and you pull it off the door, it will dig one hell of a groove in the door material and it will most likely not grab again, even if you put on a new strip... remove them and replace if you want a good paint job.. that area flexes so if you tape off and paint, the seam will crack eventually since you cannot adequately prep the surface that close to the trim... there will ALWAYS be a step in the paint there.... just fyi... thats one of those things that make a great job look average...
Old 12-06-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

thanks. do i access the clips (with flathead) with the window up or down? and do i access them from the top or bottom (from inside the door)
Old 12-06-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

Their a PITA just pull up, with the window down n start at the back of the door.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

^what anticop said is the more correct way, definatly take off as much as possible for a proper job.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FastRidesOnly
thanks. do i access the clips (with flathead) with the window up or down? and do i access them from the top or bottom (from inside the door)

DO NOT just pull up.. they dig into the door. Door skin is fiberglass and it will splinter... remove the felt guides, use med tip flathead and put inside the clip from the inside of the door. Push the handle toward the ouside gently while lifting on the trim piece.. it will slide up easily.. go slow and use as little pressure as possible.. this will increase the likely hood you will be able to reuse them later.. mark them before to make sure they are aligned properly upon reinstall... if you F them up, they are readily available online... avoid used ones as they will likely be in the shape yours will be in... You can get a set new for around 70 shipped...

Quick Reply: How to remove the Door Belt Molding?