Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Do you think I can turn my garage into a big paint booth? (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you think I can turn my garage into a big paint booth? (Pics)

Here's a few random pics of my garage below (ignore all the decals on my Cobra, I removed those)

I've seen where people build frames out of wood or pvc pipe and use plastic for walls in one little corner of their garage. But I was wanting to turn the whole building into a paint booth so I have plenty of room to walk around.

What could I use for the walls? Or could I get away with my current walls? Only problem with my current ones is that dust can hide behind the metal frame and come out while I'm painting. Or maybe not.. I could silicone around the frame to prevent any hidden dust. I can easily wash/spray the inside of my building to get rid of dust so maybe I dont need to add anything to the current walls?

If I kept a small corner for my tools then I was thinking of covering it with a plastic drop clothe while I'm painting.

Would I need to cut window-like openings into the sides of my shed to put fans? I have extra sheet metal to cover the holes when I'm not using the fans.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

Wow nice garage ..
Old 11-27-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, can't really help you with your question but is that a garage kit that you built there? You mind giving some more info on it as I would consider building one of those if I could get it in a kit somewhere. I like how tall the ceiling is without having normal wooden trusses in the way...thanks
Old 11-27-2011, 09:55 PM
FormerVendor

i wouldn't turn the whole thing into a booth. what about buying a carport/canopy that you can set up inside your garage whenever you need to spray something.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

dont know the laws where you live, but in NJ if your caught painting without a legitament spray booth and lisences they hit you with some pretty hefty fines. hope your neighbors arent ********
Old 11-28-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah they do that here too. how much is the fee? a guy behind me on a dirt road got fined because his neighbor complained of overspray on his car. I live on a main road. My direct neighbors are my sister and then a 65 yr old guy that I'm friends with. He doesnt care. People across the street from me are all drug dealers so I doubt they'd call because it would draw attention to them or they know that I can retaliate. But I need to make a list of things to practice like keeping my gate shut when I paint. maybe paint at night time only. and ways to prevent overspray all over the place.

I bought the garage from a local place.. they had 3 mexicans install it. They made it look easy. I'd say any 3 guys could do it. Its probably 2,000 just for labor. My whole fee was almost 5,000 i think. so knock maybne 2k off, it was probably only 3k. its 30x30. You could def build one cheaper. I thought of building another one myself, i have a few huge stacks of the same shet metal. Just have to build a frame.. probably out of a wood. or i could use the extra metal to build a lean-to. Still trying to find out how to build a lean-to though.

Last edited by FastRidesOnly; 11-28-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Massive garage, shitted on me......

Old 11-28-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

^what do you mean?
Old 11-28-2011, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

I worked as a painter assistant for a cpl years when I was in HS at a dealership, we had a makeshift paint booth in an extra bay that we'd use when we were busy, or some of us would do side work in it, before painting we would just hose down the walls/floor to keep dust down. Install some exhaust fans and u should be fine. If you wanted to get picky, u could hang some of that plastic sheeting like "Dexter" uses for his murders.

Other than that, I'd just hose down the walls/floor and u should be fine. (Don't hit the ceiling or you'll have water dripping for ages.)

Edit: To deal with overspray, a friend of my dad built onto his detached garage with cinder blocks, and installed 4 box fans in the rear and put little brackets to hang filters on. So the air exhales into the outdoors (rear of garage) but the spray is filtered.

Something like this

but his was actually built into the cinder block walls. You could probably do the same as the picture with your garage door. Make sure u hang a lot of lighting, it'll make a huge difference with spraying.

Edit 2:

Heres some links to homemade paint booths

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/here...ml#post1461141

http://www.hotrodders.com/kb/paint-spray-booths

Last edited by BigB02Z28; 11-28-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

thanks. i want to do a fan set up like that since i have a pull-up garage door. i already have the wood. just need to cut out the circles. i have 2 box fans, need to get 2 more. then i might add more around the garage. not sure.

good links
Old 11-28-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me know when you get setup. I would love to give you a hand and learn something at the same time.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

You need lights on the top n sides, some fans n filters, water down the floor, maybe rig some plastic or something like some shower curtains might work, maybe a fan in the front n in the back( pushing n pulling ). When it's cold you will need a heat source but be carefull paint is flammable! When you paint in a cross draft start at the end of the car and move with the direction of the air movement to keep overspay from getting on what you've already sprayed. Last thing you will need a buffer and compound/polish. A good buff job can make almost any paint job nice! Good luck n keep us posted!
Old 11-29-2011, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice garage but I bet in the summer where you live that thing must get like an oven, huh?
Old 11-29-2011, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you've got pretty solid advice here.
you want some airflow, a lot of guys use the furnace filters to filter the air in and out and multiple box fans. A good bit of plastic and a mist of water to keep the dust down. Tape all the seams like your life depends on it.

It's a pretty common formula for a good DIY paintjob.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:58 AM
Staging Lane

If you're sealing anything where you'll be spraying paint or have airflow into the area I'd use butyl sealers rather than silicone. Some silicones can transfer or outgas for a long time.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Ok thanks.

I thought about doing only half the garage as a paint booth but after i make enough room to walk around the car and set up lights on the sides.. i'll only have a few feet left outside of the booth, so i might as well use the whole garage. its only 30x30. not very big.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

or course you can!
just get some plastic rolls and some pvc pipe.
Make it to were the plastic can go up and down like blinds.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

i put spray stryrophone in all the openings at the top of the roof to prevent dust from coming in. silicone where the frame meets the concrete. i can't decide on the plastic part. not sure if i need to do that since the garage isnt really that big anyway. i need to put more lights up so i can see the side of the car. i painted one time and realized i could barely see the sides of the cars.. so i missed parts of the doors.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:06 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice cobra, im going to get one here sometime soon

Quick Reply: Do you think I can turn my garage into a big paint booth? (Pics)