Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Repainting a panel, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Repainting a panel, need some advice

I'm wanting to touch up some spots on my camaro in the spring and had some questions. I bought a sail panel to replace my bubbling one and its white and my car is black. I also thought if I've got the stuff out I'd like to redo my front bumper due to a 6" spot of peeling clearcoat and rock chips/sandblasted look from higway miles. What kind of prep do I need to do? Hit it with 600 grit to rough it up and feather out the clear? I've got a gun and a compressor and am gonna do it in the garage, so I know about taping and wetting everything down, just never have painted something this nice. I detail cars so if I can get the paint on the parts, I can wetsand and buff no problem. Also, anybody use the paint that Oreilly can mix? Of course I'm on a budget, otherwise I'd hire it done. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

i would feather everything out with 180 then 280 over that then hit it with a primer surfacer. then sand with 400 then your ready for paint and clear

notice you dont need a primer sealer with black. its dark enough where it will cover good. dont forget to wash it with soap and water then a wax and greese remover befor the base. and if you have a couple bucks buy some tac cloths that helps more to get rid of dust nibs and junk

and you might have to fill the rock chips with filler if there to deep

and do you have a car quest around you get the omni line of ppg. it would cost about $150 for everything

and detailing and laying paint is two totally diffrent ball parks
Old 02-22-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got a carquest, napa, oreilly, and a place called car color supply thats nothing but auto paint supplies. I've cut and buffed several freshly painted cars, but have no clue about laying it down other than a rattlecan. How much paint will I need?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

what color is it? is it a dark or lighter color?

on ppg product
(use omni brand from ppg) car quest sell it. cheapest paint ppg sell and it work awsome.

just tell them you need a pint of base and clear and maybe primer sealer? then all the reducer and hardners

shouldnt be more than $130 max.

and make sure to follow flash times between coat and products and use a wax and greese remover befor everything and you will do fine

and a tip when you lay the primers and base put it on dry. and the clear put on wet.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the advice....the car is black. The bodywork is fine, I just need to scuff up and respray. I've also got an old panel I'm gonna spray before I do these two panels. I'm more concerned about mixing and everything. I don't wanna look like a total noob when I walk in the paint store and have someone explain everything to me.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

its shows you how much to mix on the side of the paint can for primer, bases and clears on ppg omni

the base is 1:1- base, reducer i use (870 reducer, it verys on temp)
the clear is 4:1- clear, hardner.

but just ask for the paint rep at the store and he will be glad to help (thats his job)
Old 02-23-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Oreilly supplies Nason brand paint, which from experience is very good quality to work with. I happen to work for Oreilly and a nice body shop, we sell a lot of nason and it is also all we use at the body shop on our cheapest or most expensive projects. IMO it is very good quality and affordable

Quick Reply: Repainting a panel, need some advice