Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

rattle can jobs

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattle can jobs

whats up guys.. thinking of painting some panels on my car with a rattle can.

i have a lid and will do that first to get some practice and than go onto the actaul car. I use to work in a bodyshop while i was in school, so i know a bit but not everthing.

been reading and searching all sorts of threads, how to's, DIY stuff, etc etc

anyone here have any tips before i begin my work... would love to hear from some guys who have done it.

From everything ive read the clear from a can will dry too fast and thats whats really going to kill it. any confirm this?? what brand cans should i buy?? etc etc
Old 06-28-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ummmm.....What exactly are you painting? Depending on the part, I sure as hell wouldn't waste my time with a rattle can job. on doors, fenders, etc etc because 99.9% of the time it will look like dog ****. I painted my mirrors and headlight doors this way with Custom aerosol can of my paint code by Omni and it turned out okay for now after I cleared it, wet sanded, and buffed them out but it's just temporary until I get the money for a new paint job.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:17 AM
Launching!

When I had a slammed GTA the front spoiler always hit and thus cracked showing the yellow plastic.

I would do it every 6 months or so. It was close enough that you couldn't see from 5-10 feet because it was low on the panel and a small section.

Only advice I can give is if it is a touch up- find a primer or filler primer that is similar to the color of the car. This way it will take fewer coats of paint to get even coverage and reduce chances of runs/sags.

If you are doing an entire panel I would think twice.

Don't expect it to stand up to weather either.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 07-05-2012, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i am going to do my lid, door handles, mirrors. maybe front clip also.

I have a old beater that a friend just bought, the paint is peeling on the roof of the car. its also a 95 buick century so hes not going to take it to a body shop. I know it wont last, wont look all that good but will be much better than peeling paint and bare metal.

so i will have a bit to practice with. I am going to get a gun/compressor but that will be $$$ so it will have to wait a bit.

So i am just trying to have some fun and make due with what i have
Old 07-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

It wont look good at all and will just peel right back off. Borrow a compressor and buy a cheap gun.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can probably get away with some of the parts but I wouldn't try and fix the chips unless your going to actually do some body work and fix it and then spray a patch.

One of the biggest problems with spray cans is that:

1- if your trying to color match and you have a paint that has any peral in it, its not going to match.

2- they don't spray consistently enough to do large areas, and it will spit on you leaving blotches.

3- like the guy above me said its not going to hold up as good to the elements

4- aerosol clear doesn't wetsand as good, you can do it. But you might end up doing it over a few time before you get it wetsanded and buffed to where your happy with it.

Getting colored primer is always better, but I don't know if they have alot of colors available in aerosol can. Not that there are a ton to begin with, just saying.

It won't peel just because its a spray paint, if you get it scuffed it will stick, however blending a patch job is not as easy and with a gun either. This won't matter on the smaller parts, but if your going to be fixing chips in the paint it is something to consider.

Last edited by My6speedZ; 07-17-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

really.....sounds like you would be better off with a roller. Rattle cans are for small parts that you can wet sand to look good but not large areas, even on junk.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive seen some decent rattle can jobs but it'll still shrink up and look like crap in no time. Just save your money for some quality paint.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did it and it turned out better than before and it cost about 20-30. It held up for a few months but the clear started to get dull.

Before

After

Last edited by lilpb1; 07-18-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added pictures
Old 07-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

you know I have to say ,not bad for spray can but personaly being such a isolated panel I would have based and cleared it at home for around the same $ and been a professional job that would have last. But each to his own.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rck2004
you know I have to say ,not bad for spray can but personaly being such a isolated panel I would have based and cleared it at home for around the same $ and been a professional job that would have last. But each to his own.
It looks good from afar but I guarantee you, within a week or two, it will start to fade. I rattle canned my headlight lid and it looked great the first couple of days but then it just looked horrible. But rattle can does look better than what is was before.

Quick Reply: rattle can jobs