Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Custom Paint Question (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Custom Paint Question (pics)

How would one go about reproducing this effect in real life? Is it even possible? This is my car, but I used Photoshop to slightly darken the colors and increased the contrast. I have had people suggest for when I repaint the car, to make it match in these pictures, but I'm not sure what I'd need to buy or how to apply the products to make it look like that:

Old 09-17-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of Pearl. id contact a paint store that sells quality paint (Dupont, PPG, Glasurit) and talk to somone who does the mixing.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I would think you might be able to spray the lower portion of the car a slightly darker hue and blend it around the body line but that might not be exactly what you are looking for.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i painted my car Pewter after a fender bender a few years ago i tried every pearl combination on the mixing bank in my shop they all looked terrible, what i ended up going with was a coarse variant of the color which just made the metal flake bigger, gave it a darker shade and looked awesome in the sun. It did not look like a bass boat if that is what your thinking when i say bigger flake.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1CMR
When i painted my car Pewter after a fender bender a few years ago i tried every pearl combination on the mixing bank in my shop they all looked terrible, what i ended up going with was a coarse variant of the color which just made the metal flake bigger, gave it a darker shade and looked awesome in the sun. It did not look like a bass boat if that is what your thinking when i say bigger flake.
But was it 2stage or 3 stage.. a 3 stage pearl would deffinatly stand out more. A Pewter base with a black, Gold, or copper pearl would give some cool effect. but adding it to the base would do nothing. too much light color pigment
Old 09-18-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
But was it 2stage or 3 stage.. a 3 stage pearl would deffinatly stand out more. A Pewter base with a black, Gold, or copper pearl would give some cool effect. but adding it to the base would do nothing. too much light color pigment
I tried both the 3 stage looked OK but it made the pewter very hazy to actually noticed the difference, this is the reason it is mostly used on whites and fine silvers, the best look i got was mixing gold pearl in the color it self, but i didn't like it.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Any competent body shop with a computerized mixing station can alter the paint code formula to match what you are looking for. The painter will just need to do some spray outs on a test swatch and then you can narrow it down to exactly what you want. Really isn't all too hard.

Application would require feathering in the areas so don't get too sharp of a contrast between the colors. If you've never painted a car before, I would leave it to a professional to attempt so you don't waste your time and money on material.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HellaciousA
Any competent body shop with a computerized mixing station can alter the paint code formula to match what you are looking for. The painter will just need to do some spray outs on a test swatch and then you can narrow it down to exactly what you want. Really isn't all too hard.

Application would require feathering in the areas so don't get too sharp of a contrast between the colors. If you've never painted a car before, I would leave it to a professional to attempt so you don't waste your time and money on material.
So you're suggesting a 2 tone fade job and not a full-body paint? I was thinking a good enough clear and base combo would make the ground darker than the sky during daytime photos, without the need of doing a fade... And no, I probably won't paint my car myself. My 1987 Jeep? Hell yeah.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

The painter will need to use a matalic with a dark side tone and a flop that rolls from light to dark. Then keep tinting from there to get the desired look your after,pearls arn't going to do it, but may still be needed some to get it the way you want it.

Quick Reply: Custom Paint Question (pics)