Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Buffing please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buffing please help!

Ok lastnight I finally picked my car up from being painted. And this morning I noticed organe peel and swirl marks every where from his poor attempt to buff it. So can someone give me info on buffin such as what products to us and what I need for a buffer.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

why not carry it back to them?
Old 02-17-2013, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Because he didn't do a good job at all and he took wayyyyyy to long
Old 02-17-2013, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What makes your think they would do a better job this time?
Old 02-17-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you pay that person to color sand your car and buff? This should have been very clear prior to painting. That is where the real work is.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Yea he said he was going to cut and buff it, which he tried to to but it's obvious he didn't know what he was doing.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

i was just suggesting taking it back because in my shop if the customer is not happy we do what ever it takes to please them. whether it be a dirty interior or anything.
i dont blame you for not wanting to take it back to him, next time try a little research on the shop. in the body shop world you really get what ya pay for.

ohhhh and to answer your original question, 3M makes great swirl remover. buff it on lightly then wipe off with a good cotton towel. hope that works.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

Ok I'll try that but what kind of buffer do I need to buy exactly?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:39 AM
On The Tree

for that product a low speed works good. so just one of them wax type they have at auto stores with a soft pad. i have used it just by hand but doing a whole car your arm would be shot lol.
as you apply it with that buffer its gonna smear, thats normal. work the panel a minute or so then wipe off. BTW what color is it?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

It's black lol and I have some orange peel I need to sand and buff out too. Will that same tool work?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

no it wont work for that. i like dewalt buffers just because they last forever. its really a matter of opinion just like some people like chevy and some ford, even though chevys are way better lol. just get one that has a varible speed trigger also one that you can set the speed with a dial.
as far as compound goes faercla is what i like, then go back with the 3m swirl remover. oh and they also make 3000 grit for a da that helps a whole lot with black.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so around what speed do I need to have it on when I buff the orange peel
Old 02-22-2013, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

1400 is a goos start. the slower you go the more it cuts, speed up as you go that leaves a finer polish. also just fyi the compound alone is not going to take out orange peel.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will most likely need to wet sand with 1500 until flat (assuming you have enough paint on there) and then to a wool pad with about any compound that will remove these scratches. Work you way to finer pads with less abrasive compounds to a mirror shine.

Black is a tough color and it is not forgiving. Make damn sure the paint is sanded flat before buffing and stay away from bends/sharp curves.

Here is a panel wet sanded flat with 1500 prior to buffing.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Buffing please help!-cut-buff2.jpg  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Teching In

To be honest man, it might be easier for you to take it to a profeesional that buff's all the time....By no means am i saying that you could not do it... The west sand and buff stage is where a shop makes it money!! A decent paint job can be made to look great with a good wet sand and buff..

There is multiple stages but it basically boils down to getting some 1500 & 2000 grit wet sand paper ,a bucket full of water , a spray bottle , A good rubber squeegy ,and going to town with the 1500 wet , then the 2000 wet...Keeping the paper Very wet all the time with the spray bottle.... when you think you have took enough surface material off then its time to buff....
I like to use 3m Perfect it , polishes and buffing compounds ....Start with a medium -heavy cutting paste then work your way down to swirl remover , then final glaze by hand ......
You will need a good Hi speed buffer . a wool buffing pad and a nice soft foam finishing pad.......
Everybody has their own way of doing this and sorry for the short version but it was basically just a reference for you to give you idea of whats involved..Obviously there is a little more to it ...
Its all about removing as little material as you can while still getting enough to get the imperfections out...

Quick Reply: Buffing please help!