Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Got a question about stripping paint and plastidip

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a question about stripping paint and plastidip

I was wondering if I could strip the paint off my car and paint over it with PlastiDip without applying any primer or anything else to protect the car. I was thinking the PlastiDip might be enough to protect it but I want some other opinions. This would just be temporary til I can get the car painted.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good question...anyone plasti dip wheels??
Old 06-17-2013, 02:21 PM
Launching!

anybody???
Old 06-17-2013, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope, no primer required. Just clean the surface really good and let each coat dry for a hour. 5-6 coats should be perfect
Old 06-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Launching!

I don't think the Plastidip will peel off properly if I let each coat dry for an hour. The directions say give each coat 10 minutes to dry. I don't think the amount of time between coats is gonna cause a problem though. I'm more concerned if the vinyl is enough to protect the car.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BWZ_2k2Z28
I don't think the Plastidip will peel off properly if I let each coat dry for an hour. The directions say give each coat 10 minutes to dry. I don't think the amount of time between coats is gonna cause a problem though. I'm more concerned if the vinyl is enough to protect the car.
If you're looking for something to protect the paint on your car, then you need to find something else to use.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why are you going to strip the paint first? I would just plastidip over the paint that is there and strip it before the real paint job. My friend just plastidipped his charger. He waited about 30 minutes between coats. He said it took 12 cans to get 5 good coats, but Im not sure I believe that.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:23 AM
Launching!

The car used to be pewter and the previous owner had somebody just spray black over it. Its got a couple deep chips and scratches plus some runs from the shitty paint job. So I'm afraid the flaws in the paint will still be pretty noticeable with the plastidip over the current paint. That's why I was gonna strip the car.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

Plastidip, and other professional-grade coatings aren't really meant to be the ONLY layer...they cover what you typically want to protect.

Sand and prep if you want, don't strip.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

I wouldn't strip or prep. My understanding on plasti dip is that if you prep it like you would for paint it will stick and be more permanent. I don't know how that would effect removal.

I did spray it on my wheels at one point. If it sticks to a prepped surface like I imagine it would it will be a pain in the *** to remove. Personally I wouldn't consider sanding that stuff an option either. I think it's going to come off in little strips it'd be very time consuming.

I know you're concerned about the imperfections already there but it's thick enough that it will cover some chips, and flat colors rarely show flaws. They will have to be big ones. Clean it up and just do a quick test with a can. It removes easily enough and you'll be able to see what's going to show. I'd pick the worst flaw and try it there.

What kind of timeframe are you looking at on paint?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:09 AM
Launching!

Yea that makes alot of sense 1320chicken. I'm thinking atleast a year and a half til I can get it painted. I'll just try to plastidip over what I already have now. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Got a question about stripping paint and plastidip