Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Wrecked any value?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrecked any value?

Well lost control on exit ramp traction was off, fish tailed bad and hit guardrail which saved my life so iam at least thankful for that. Only damage is seen in pic drove home fine from tow lot no steering issues, recently upgraded with new struts/shocks, panhard bar, control arms all which are unaffected which may mean nothing but it is what it is. Was quoted of at least 5k possibly more from body shop, didnt wanna pay that much so considering selling it as is kbb value in good condition is 8k so do i minus the body work or just part it out?
Attached Thumbnails Wrecked any value?-img_0067.jpg  
Old 01-04-2014, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Find a roller and swap everything over
Old 01-04-2014, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed on the roller and swap, looks like the wheel didn't sustain damage? The spoiler looks OK? If you liked your car time to just swap all your goodies into another fbody or I suppose this is the time to get something else if you weren't 100% attached to a fbody.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies, Ive had it for about 7 years and was my first car purchase on my own swapping never came to mind but is something iam considering seeing rollers on craigslist for around $1k. 3 of the wheels are fine except the 1 that hit the curb is done but thats the least of my concern i have 3 different sets of wheels, would it be as easy as swapping motor and trans or am i missing something?
Old 01-04-2014, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kg12387
Thanks for the replies, Ive had it for about 7 years and was my first car purchase on my own swapping never came to mind but is something iam considering seeing rollers on craigslist for around $1k. 3 of the wheels are fine except the 1 that hit the curb is done but thats the least of my concern i have 3 different sets of wheels, would it be as easy as swapping motor and trans or am i missing something?
depends on the year and whether the roller was originally a v8 or v6. Ideally you would drop the entire drivetrain (rear axle, shocks all that stuff you just upgraded) and drop the k-member bringing the whole front suspension, engine and transmission on that end. but there can be minor wiring differences so ideally being a 2002 you would want a 99 or newer v8 roller body. if you go v6 roller then you need to drop the gas tank (or cut an access panel) and swap the fuel pump.

also while the engine is out of the car is a good time to do plugs, wires, and any gaskets (oil pan, valve covers, intake manifold) or for that matter any motor mods you wanna do, much easier to do while it's out of the car.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the rest of the car is still in great condition for it's age, you may want to check around more for a small shop /person capable of repairing that section. It looks like the rest of the car could be unaffected, the rear glass shatters pretty easily if hit too hard.
Door gaps still ok??
Old 01-04-2014, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

glad your okay man! check the junkyards!
Old 01-06-2014, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sucks man. I agree on the roller swap.

What does he do about Vins? Just deal with having a V6 car now?
Old 01-06-2014, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

if you part it out, i may be interested in some front body pieces. PM me
Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You could buy it back from insurance:

to either part it out, make money from part out and get check from insurance to put towards a clean car and start all over.

or buy it back, swap everything into a roller.
here is a good one for 1000. https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-c...28-roller.html

I vote for the swap, part outs take too much time unless you got a buyer anxiously waiting for a donor car.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A hit that hard is sure to do more damage than it may seem at first. I hit the rear passenger side of my old 98 in a wall, with similar looking damage, but it had messed up both rear frame rails, door gaps and roof line were messed up, buckled the quarter on the other side... There was no fixing it. But, like yours also, it still drove straight.

Frankly I wouldn't even try to fix. Roller and swap, IMO.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for roller swap, find a color u like, upgrade a few things.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:31 AM
TECH Regular

rear damage to our cars is rare. try finding front end pieces for them at a bone yard you'll know what I mean. wrecked mine, bought a craigs list v6 and used it for parts. body shop frame straightening is in order for sure . you can still drive it that's a plus. have body shop check the frame on their rack then go from there. I put in a whole front end on mine eccept the frame rails , straightened them . talk about welding chain links to hook on to to straighten my shock towers oh boy! it's all in what you want. I fixed mine. like they say: I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile!! the oldman...
Old 01-10-2014, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Thanks everyone, leaning towards roller just gotta figure out what everthing will cost me, Thinking about just cutting it loose and gettin a 5th gen
Old 01-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Teching In

+1 for the roller and swap

that's a badass rear wing you've got on it too

Quick Reply: Wrecked any value?