Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

building your own body part?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default building your own body part?

I have been thinking about fabricating a bumper valance, something similar to CME without exhaust tips maybe. I have fixed various plastic/fiberglass parts but never really done something like that. I was thinking of carving clay on a bumper and make a mold and fiberglass it. how hard is it to model/carve clay? ideas will be appreciated, this is a for fun kinda thing
Old 07-10-2014, 08:03 PM
Launching!

I would recommend you source a Styrofoam supplier vs. the clay. Much easier to work with and take on/off the car as much as you'll probably need to. Once you get the shape you like (which is 1/2 the battle) lay the cloth, slather in goop with a disposable brush and learn the trade as you go. You might be lucky and grow to love the smell!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by juSStin4171
I would recommend you source a Styrofoam supplier vs. the clay. Much easier to work with and take on/off the car as much as you'll probably need to. Once you get the shape you like (which is 1/2 the battle) lay the cloth, slather in goop with a disposable brush and learn the trade as you go. You might be lucky and grow to love the smell!
Styrofoam on a small part like a cme valance? wouldn't directly modeling clay over the bumper be easier?
Old 07-10-2014, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out some of this guys work and ask him what you need to know, he did a WHOLE car body using these techniques.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:08 AM
TECH Addict

^ ive seen this a 100 times, its just too beautiful lol. ive done a lot of reading and research about this it isnt easy but it isnt hard either. i just wanted to see if anyone tried something similar here. thanks for the heads up
Old 07-27-2014, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

so I went ahead and made this

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...l#post18342007

i will refine the lines and edges then fiberglass it. my question is, do i make a mold or just lay the resin and cloth over this? thanks
Old 07-27-2014, 11:30 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

It took him 12days start to finish. Something about that doesn't seem like it would be very cheap to have done if you don't know how to do it yourself, and obviously you'd have to have no job/life/kids in order to have that amount of time to work on that piece. Great work quality, but why ruin a perfectly good supra. ;(
Old 07-27-2014, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by scj
It took him 12days start to finish. Something about that doesn't seem like it would be very cheap to have done if you don't know how to do it yourself, and obviously you'd have to have no job/life/kids in order to have that amount of time to work on that piece. Great work quality, but why ruin a perfectly good supra. ;(
good work quality and 12 days makes a lot of sense to me lol. in my case am building just that tiny little piece and whatever the outcome is am glad am doing it. I've always wanted to try this and a ~50ish $ worth of materials, few hours and a lot of fun is kinda worth it.

I personally dont like whatever hes building but its his car and it doesnt matter what we think. if i had the time, and SKILLS to do that i would probably build something huge, maybe not a ferrari/supra hybrid but definitely something
Old 09-04-2014, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

I ll do for t-top fiberglass on my roll cage camaro.

Quick Reply: building your own body part?