Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

School me about vinyl wrap

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 08:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default School me about vinyl wrap

Car got hit the other day on the left side, so will be going through insurance and all that jazz as usual to get it fixed. However I have always been interested in doing a full car wrap just never really had a reason to as the paint was in very good condition (keyword there being was).

Since it's a left side damage only, I imagine the insurance company and/or body shop are going to try and cheapen out by only painting and blending half the front/side which I don't believe will ever look good. I've seen bad examples of blending jobs and I'm afraid. At least if I could get them to do the full front going down to the doors maybe, but I would not want just one quarter of the car repainted and blended.

Anyway, my question is...if it comes down to it how reliable and lasting are these vinyl wraps. I'm going to be doing it right at a proper shop and everything, but still want to make sure I get something that will last at least a few years.

I've heard that wraps tend to fade in the sun and are easily damaged by scratches or foreign materials (like bird ****) due to lack of a proper clear coat. Is that true or depends on the quality of the wrap used?

Also, going back to the issue above... is it possible to do the car in vinyl then just cover it all with the same type of clearcoat that goes on top of paint? That way I get some UV and scratch protection similar to a regular paint job?
Old 04-10-2015, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine in my garage over a month time frame.. Working a few hours on Saturday each weekend.. Its not my daily so i dragged it out.. Also it stays in the garage so i cant comment on the fading.. I have a few light scuffs on it but cant even see it when i wash and wax it.. Ive only had mine on for about a year so far.
Attached Thumbnails School me about vinyl wrap-image3.jpg   School me about vinyl wrap-image7.jpg   School me about vinyl wrap-image9.jpg   School me about vinyl wrap-image10.jpg  
Old 04-13-2015, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01SOM
I did mine in my garage over a month time frame.. Working a few hours on Saturday each weekend.. Its not my daily so i dragged it out.. Also it stays in the garage so i cant comment on the fading.. I have a few light scuffs on it but cant even see it when i wash and wax it.. Ive only had mine on for about a year so far.
How hard was it to do the front bumper?
Old 04-14-2015, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Empatho
How hard was it to do the front bumper?
It was pretty damn tedious to say the least.. Lots of heat and patience.. i tried to get away on using the least amount of stretch i could. It helps that it gets so hot in Texas in the summer.. I think it was 100+ the day i did it so it made it a little more flexible . Its not the best on the inside of the air ducts.. But ill be cutting the middles out for inter cooler so ill be redoing it soon..
Old 04-14-2015, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Is that a glossy wrap or just how it comes in the picture?
Old 04-14-2015, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan
Since it's a left side damage only, I imagine the insurance company and/or body shop are going to try and cheapen out by only painting and blending half the front/side which I don't believe will ever look good. I've seen bad examples of blending jobs and I'm afraid. At least if I could get them to do the full front going down to the doors maybe, but I would not want just one quarter of the car repainted and blended.
A reputable shop should be able to do a near perfect match, I've had a few partial paint jobs done and after cut and buff you couldn't tell the difference between the old and new paint. Wraps aren't meant to last nearly as long as paint but they are getting better.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:02 AM
Teching In

yes its a gloss hot rod red wrap from 3m
Old 04-21-2015, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

If you don't want the hassle of a wrap, they have products that are sprayable, like plastidip, but better, they have gloss additives as well. still removable and not so time consuming to install
Old 07-05-2015, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Just finished the hood and wing....

Old 04-03-2016, 03:56 AM

vinyl wrap!
Old 04-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Launching!

if the car sits outside daily, it will last 1-2 years. it holds up well against scratches and rock chips, but its not bullet proof. do your door handles, fog lights then lay the main piece into it so the seam is away from your eye - blends in very well. do the front bumper in two pieces with a vertical seam at the center ridge, and the rear bumper in two pieces with a horizontal seam and the top piece overlaying the lower piece. you can do the whole bumper in one piece, but you really stretch the material thin, and that speeds up the fading/aging process. try to use as little heat as possible when applicating, and once your happy with a panel, go over the whole thing with a heat gun to "activate" the glue and help it set and reduce shrinking. its not hard, just detail oriented. use a felt applicator, and knifeless tape for best seams.

Quick Reply: School me about vinyl wrap