Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Targa type top for convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa type top for convertible?

Would it be a hard thing to do to have a top that you could pop on the convertible? Make one with a back window maybe make the window bigger so all you have to do is let the top down and put the targa 'vert top on?
Old 04-26-2015, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/convertib...ke-vettes.html

Almost impossible without serious skills to fabricate something.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by CO99Z28Vert
https://ls1tech.com/forums/convertib...ke-vettes.html

Almost impossible without serious skills to fabricate something.
So I've been looking into this recently. I've been told that converting a convertible to a t-top/hardtop would be impossible or very hard. But correct me if I'm wrong. All I would have to do is remove the convertible top find a b-pillar and weld it in, weld/bolt in a t bar and connect a hatch. Or same for a hard top but put the roof shell on. So which would be easier? Fabricating a removable hard top or converting a 'vert into something else?
Old 04-28-2015, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_McKee22
So I've been looking into this recently. I've been told that converting a convertible to a t-top/hardtop would be impossible or very hard. But correct me if I'm wrong. All I would have to do is remove the convertible top find a b-pillar and weld it in, weld/bolt in a t bar and connect a hatch. Or same for a hard top but put the roof shell on. So which would be easier? Fabricating a removable hard top or converting a 'vert into something else?
So what do you plan to do about the convertible trunk assembly?

I think the easiest way to go about this would be to fabricate a roll cage for the car with many holes/slots/flat stock pieces that a hardtop roof panel can lock onto using handle/locking mechanisms installed on the roof on an attached framework (or vise versa). Get a MWC carbon fiber hardtop roof panel and determine a way of securing it to a framework, which in turn can connect to the roll cage mounts via whatever mounting method you determine works best, AND let you attach a lexan/OpticArmor rear window to the car (which the window and/or car might require cutting or gap filling).

Even then it's gonna be a bitch to determine the order of steps necessary to get it installed securely and make sure everything is lined up properly.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ZexGX
So what do you plan to do about the convertible trunk assembly? I think the easiest way to go about this would be to fabricate a roll cage for the car with many holes/slots/flat stock pieces that a hardtop roof panel can lock onto using handle/locking mechanisms installed on the roof on an attached framework (or vise versa). Get a MWC carbon fiber hardtop roof panel and determine a way of securing it to a framework, which in turn can connect to the roll cage mounts via whatever mounting method you determine works best, AND let you attach a lexan/OpticArmor rear window to the car (which the window and/or car might require cutting or gap filling). Even then it's gonna be a bitch to determine the order of steps necessary to get it installed securely and make sure everything is lined up properly.
I think I've decided just to buy a t-top. Can never have too many f-body's. But a latch on 'vert shell would be cool to see in person.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

Another idea - get a carbon hardtop panel and attach it and a lexan/OpticArmor rear window to a steel framework, and then attach the forward convertible roof latches to the framework, and fabricate some easy lower mounts (tabs with bolt holes for bolts/studs?) for the rear pillar and window support.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

if you are going to ditch the convertible top entirely, this may be your best bet.

Get a B-pillar and attach it to the car permanently, then get one of those targa conversions and use the rk sport speedster back hatch.

it would probably be easier to make that part fit the convertible than trying to fab up something on your own. than when you wanted to just take both off and leave the b pillar or make it removable as well if you like. f-body speedster
Old 04-29-2015, 07:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
if you are going to ditch the convertible top entirely, this may be your best bet.

Get a B-pillar and attach it to the car permanently, then get one of those targa conversions and use the rk sport speedster back hatch.

it would probably be easier to make that part fit the convertible than trying to fab up something on your own. than when you wanted to just take both off and leave the b pillar or make it removable as well if you like. f-body speedster
Except the Sportback (not called a Speedster on F-bodies) has zero tangible benefits over a lexan or Optic Armor rear window including in this retrofit scenario. A targa conversion will do nothing for a convertible car. There's nothing to convert. There's no roof to do a conversion to. If you're going to get a B-pillar to attach permanently, that negates the purpose of having a convertible to begin with - just buy a hardtop/t-top car to begin with.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Respectfully disagree, the lexan or optic armor options are pre formed unless he is gonna form an entire sheet on his own, the "sport back" would likely be easier to form to the existing trunk line of a convertible compared to free forming a sheet of lexan with no form to match it to, Granted its theory but manipulating something with that shape would be easier than deforming a preformed shape that matches the hard top hatch. Never worked with lexan but its my understanding its similar to plexiglass and it can be heat formed to a pre existing shape?

The b pillar is just a starting point to make the targa hatch option work ( which would be far easier than fabbing up something from scratch) the b pillar being permanent is just a preference for me, I like the lines the "hoop" gives the car. Its just how I would approach it. So liking that makes it an easy leap to try and put those together, at least for me. In this case I think we are both suggesting the same thing you say add a hard top and I say add a targa conversion becuase it will have the hardware to latch itself already. Ultimately the same thing only im suggesting breaking the roof down into several parts for ease of use.

Not sure what you mean by tangible benefit as it could all be removed ( permanent hoop is optional) maybe a weight difference? But I would think having it modular would make it more user friendly in the end if one person has to pull it all off, but having owned a targa top car its pretty difficult to do solo. Maybe its negated in the end?

I mean ultimately you could make a massive fiberglass structure to cover the surface area and attach it to a roll cage, and have it come off in one piece if you wanted to put the time and effort in but it seems easier to start with pre existing structures given the very minor changes in a convert chassis vs a hardtop. Assuming someone really wanted a removable hard top for a convertible. Its just time and money anything is possible

im currently working on a some what related project, converting a 70 camaro to a t-top car since someone put a cheap sunroof in the hardtop already. T-tops werent introduced until 75 for the 2nd gens and the roof is somewhat different since the back glass is shaped differently.

Last edited by blackbyrd; 04-30-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One would have to basically replicate the çonvertible top in a light weight material like carbon fiber with space for rear glass.

This portion would only cover up the rear seats.
Front half of the portion be glass type material that carries forward to the front and connects to the windsheild.

This way its 2 piece hard top cover that also can be a targa top.

By end of reading this post, I'm sure you already traded your very for ttop car with targa conversion.

I made original thread 3 years ago and just got the rk sport roadster tonneau

Quick Reply: Targa type top for convertible?