Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

1999 TA, how much of the cars body is metal

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1999 TA, how much of the cars body is metal

So I haven't gone out to do the magnet test yet, but was told by a paint guy that the entire car is fiberglass. I could have sworn that only certain body panels on the car were fiberglass and the rest metal..

Can someone tell me for sure what is and isn't metal on the body of the car?

He was there quoting cost to paint and said because it was all fiberglass, that it would be more( no quote yet )

thanks.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Not much, just the rear quarters.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

ok, so basically from the door jams forward is fiberglass and the rear metal? Or the other way around?

Last edited by CubanGT; 07-29-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

if it can be unbolted it's not metal, except the hood (depending on the hood, some are metal some aren't) and headlight pieces. Doors, fenders, bumpers, hatch are either a urethane product (bumpers) or a material called SMC (doors, WS6 hood and fenders) which is somewhat similar to fiberglass but is NOT fiberglass, also the roof SKIN or sail panel (for t-top cars) is not metal but the STRUCTURE of the car is metal.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
if it can be unbolted it's not metal, except the hood (depending on the hood, some are metal some aren't) and headlight pieces. Doors, fenders, bumpers, hatch are either a urethane product (bumpers) or a material called SMC (doors, WS6 hood and fenders) which is somewhat similar to fiberglass but is NOT fiberglass, also the roof SKIN or sail panel (for t-top cars) is not metal but the STRUCTURE of the car is metal.
This, there is no fiberglass on fourth gens
Old 07-29-2015, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
This, there is no fiberglass on fourth gens

Looks like fiberglass to me, PLUS every firehawk that ever rolled off the line has a fiberglass hood.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

SMC is incredibly similar to fiberglass. They are both made with fibre or carbon particles and resin. Its just a difference in production. So I guess technically it is fiberglass lol.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157

Looks like fiberglass to me, PLUS every firehawk that ever rolled off the line has a fiberglass hood.
may LOOK like it but it is a product called SMC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheet_moulding_compound

SMC is a composite material that goes on a roll then uses a heated compression mold to form it, similar to stamping steel but longer as it has to bake it into the shape where as fiberglass is generally sprayed or hand laid into a mold to create the shape and hardens thru a chemical reaction between the resin and it's activator. they share the glass fiber as a core material but the resins are different and they have different expansion rates.

Quick Reply: 1999 TA, how much of the cars body is metal