Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Smacked twice by uninsured drivers

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smacked twice by uninsured drivers

This is my first post on ls1tech but have been following the forums for years and am extremely grateful to the community for providing such an extensive library or vitally useful info, opinions, and resources.

Much appreciation.

My 2001 Formula was in fantastic condition and then within three months I was hit by two uninsured drivers.

First one - not a hard hit but struck low on the front driver side door near the hinge. Very slight damage to the fender. Door now has a bit of a sag but is usable for now if you pull up slightly and close it hard. So that's going to get worse quickly. I can see the cracks around the hinge inside the door as well. Assume this door is a full loss or would make sense to do the fiberglass hinge repair? Any options for patching or covering up the small strike?

The second criminal driver clipped me low on the back side of passenger door and pushed in the rear quarter panel. This door works normally. Any quick cosmetic fixes possible?

For the fender I see lots of mixed opinions based upon the extent of the damage. Advice on this one would be appreciated because it sounds like the repair or replacement could be expensive.

I am confident in my DIY abilities but have zero experience with body work.

Thank you in advance.

Driver Door

Passenger Rear

Passenger Rear - close

Old 08-02-2015, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Damn thats bad luck. I keep getting my drivers side quarter panel swiped by people that cant park. Got it repaired once, waiting on my wide body kit and a garage to fix it the second time.

I can speak for your quarter panel damage. Your going to have to take that to a body shop and get them to hammer and pull the damage and fix the rest with bondo and new paint. Your damage is slightly more than mine and I paid $700 to get just the QP fixed.

It also looks like you may need to replace passenger door. Might be able to save the drivers but if theres damage on the hinge mount it may be better to replace it as well.

Your front fender damage doesnt really show besides the molding ripped off so it should be fixable for "cheap"
Old 08-03-2015, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you carry uninsured driver coverage on your policy you should be able to use that. Of course if you have like a $1000 deductible that may not make sense.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They should be skinned alive ... jerks! What actually happens to these uninsured drivers when this happens?
Old 08-03-2015, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99WS6MAN
They should be skinned alive ... jerks! What actually happens to these uninsured drivers when this happens?
I'm not sure if it is dependent on the state or not anymore. But if it was in a state that required insurance they would lose their license (assuming of course information of the accident reaches the coppas). Theoretically OP could go after the uninsured driver for damages, I don't believe the fact that they don't have insurance means they are automatically at fault though. I carry uninsured driver insurance so if someone hits my car I pay the deductible and let my insurance go after the other party.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
I'm not sure if it is dependent on the state or not anymore. But if it was in a state that required insurance they would lose their license (assuming of course information of the accident reaches the coppas). Theoretically OP could go after the uninsured driver for damages, I don't believe the fact that they don't have insurance means they are automatically at fault though. I carry uninsured driver insurance so if someone hits my car I pay the deductible and let my insurance go after the other party.
Some states require Uninsured Driver Insurance on policies as I am pretty sure my representative stated that Ohio requires at least some minimum value.

My thought would be is that you could go after the faulty drivers through the court process but I am not sure. I would feel pretty disgusted if I find out that the "uninsured" driver at fault receives no monetary repercussion for ruining someone else's car. If that is the case he would be receiving a serious *** whopping and or slashed tires for years after the fact as that would be a huge load of bullshit.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bandits96ss
Some states require Uninsured Driver Insurance on policies as I am pretty sure my representative stated that Ohio requires at least some minimum value.

My thought would be is that you could go after the faulty drivers through the court process but I am not sure. I would feel pretty disgusted if I find out that the "uninsured" driver at fault receives no monetary repercussion for ruining someone else's car. If that is the case he would be receiving a serious *** whopping and or slashed tires for years after the fact as that would be a huge load of bullshit.
You can always go after someone in court. But if you're paying for insurance already, they should be able to do this on your behalf.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Amazing how the OP seems so calm and non chalant about this. Did you even go after the drivers who did this? Atleast get their tags? Did they pull over when they hit you and confess they had no insurance?

I mean, I have been forgiving on accidents aswell... I had a lady rear end me at a stoplight in my 01 Firebird but the damage was negligible..not even a scratch on the paint. I could have filed a claim but I let her go and she was worried beyond belief and I assume she probably wasnt covered aswell.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they should make a law where any drivers who owns a car, HAS to have car insurance
Old 11-24-2015, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliboyTA
they should make a law where any drivers who owns a car, HAS to have car insurance
We already do require it in New York:

New York State Insurance Requirements

Do I need insurance?
Yes. To register a vehicle in New York State you must have New York State issued automobile liability insurance coverage. If you do not maintain the coverage, the DMV can suspend your vehicle registration and your driver license.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliboyTA
Originally Posted by michaelhawk
We already do require it in New York:

New York State Insurance Requirements

Do I need insurance?
Yes. To register a vehicle in New York State you must have New York State issued automobile liability insurance coverage. If you do not maintain the coverage, the DMV can suspend your vehicle registration and your driver license.
If Im not mistaken its required in all 50 states.

Here in Georgia you cannot register (or even purchase) a vehicle unless you insure it first. If your insurance lapses you get fined aswell.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

Must have proof of insurance before license here in NC
Old 12-03-2015, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem isn't the law.... it's the people that choose not to follow the law and get insurance. They drive around with no insurance and probably no license or registration. Believe it not, in SOME cases, it's cheaper to pay the fines and move on, than to actually carry insurance and pay for registration. Not to mention that if you get insurance AFTER you get a ticket, the courts significantly reduce your fine. That's a win/win for the "rebels". lol

Quick Reply: Smacked twice by uninsured drivers