Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Best place to buy paint - navy blue metallic

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place to buy paint - navy blue metallic

Hi guys!

I'm going to be swapping my hood and spoiler and need enough of this stuff to paint both. Any good places that sell a perfect match? Or do I need to have it mixed somewhere?

While we're on the topic, what's the best primer and clear I can get, and how much do I need, including base coat? I'd rather try painting a new hood and spoiler myself rather than spend 700-1000 at local body shops. I'm confident in my ability to not screw it up too much.

If it means anything, 2000 Camaro, navy blue metallic. No idea if this stuff varies over the years. I see a lot of "dark blue metallic" GM touchup paint and I believe NBM is discontinued.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

--PPG EnviroBase would be my suggestion for base coat. Best chance of match, in my opinion. Local paint shops should have it, if not, try to find Dupont/Axalta. Dont expect cheap paint to match. I would get at least a quart, maybe even 2 to be safe.

--For Primer you can use whatever brand paint you bought or I would suggest Southern Polyurethanes. I would think a quart-1.5 quarts would be enough.

--Clear Coat, I would use the Southern Polyurethanes Universal clear. 2 quarts sprayable should be enough.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Thanks--should state that I don't mind paying more for quality. I want to match it as close as possible.

Is some paint easier to spray than others? Like is some paint thicker?
Old 05-08-2016, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There were two shades of NBM, but only a short run of very early 98 cars had the darker shade.

Basically after getting rid of the purple color in 98 the first few batches of navy blue metallic cars did not have as much pearl in the clear coat and made the car a dark blue color compared to the blue pearl that the car looks like at night..

The trans am is the early navy blue, the camaro is the standard navy blue

Name:  uptop.jpg
Views: 2842
Size:  100.5 KB
Name:  fromalley.jpg
Views: 1519
Size:  97.2 KB

This is where you can see the lack of pearl in the top coat

Name:  IMG00047-20101007-1459.jpg
Views: 2848
Size:  101.1 KB
Name:  IMG00075-20101104-1646.jpg
Views: 3103
Size:  109.8 KB
Old 05-19-2016, 02:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
There were two shades of NBM, but only a short run of very early 98 cars had the darker shade.

Basically after getting rid of the purple color in 98 the first few batches of navy blue metallic cars did not have as much pearl in the clear coat and made the car a dark blue color compared to the blue pearl that the car looks like at night..

The trans am is the early navy blue, the camaro is the standard navy blue

This is where you can see the lack of pearl in the top coat
Thanks-never knew that. Yours looks good with the C5's. I'm guessing 18's up front too? Any spacers in the back? I hate how inset the Vette offset sits on mine.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:09 AM
On The Tree

Also, while on the topic, spray guns! I have a 5 gallon compressor that will do 4cfm at 90 psi. Is there a "special" requirement for painting cars, or will a standard Dewalt Home Depot special do the job? I'm an artist and am confident in my ability to figure out the painting, but i just want to make sure I pick up the right stuff. I'm sure I can Google and get the answer right away, but I'm laying in bed at 4am and figured I'd try for some interactive feedback first.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I use 2k primer and DuPont Chromabase and clear, both are excellent. Need a decent HVLP gun. I like the Devilbiss Finishline gun for the price. Your compressor isn't going to cut it, need one that can at least support the spray gun. color sand and buff. Painting is the easy part, but its all in the prep work that makes the job! here's some pictures of my 17 year old son did.
Attached Thumbnails Best place to buy paint - navy blue metallic-dscn2733.jpg   Best place to buy paint - navy blue metallic-dscn2736.jpg   Best place to buy paint - navy blue metallic-dscn2822.jpg  
Old 07-05-2016, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would goto a paint supplier in your area and have them match your color, possibly shoot it with the camera. I've had the best matchs with Sikkens, then PPG, etc so go with one of those and use the primers and clear coats they reccomend with the product your using. Also blending the adjacent panels will make the best match, all colors are bendable, very few are perfect matchs which is why every one blends the color. I don't think you'll have enough air with a 5 gallon compressor, and you don't want to run out of air while spraying, metallic won't lay out, nor will the paint. As far as guns I use Satas but a good budget multiuse gun would be a Tekna.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of you ever do an all over, I would highly recommended the the Matrix in u352e. It has the most pearl by far when seen in person, and looks amazing. Has a crazy purple cast to it in certain lights, but still close enough to the factory paint that it will blend fine with the door jams.

Quick Reply: Best place to buy paint - navy blue metallic