Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Protection used when painting with urethane paints

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Protection used when painting with urethane paints

I've heard several stories of people using 1/2 mask organic vapor masks when spraying isocyante-containing urethane paints. From everything I've read, these are insufficient for protecting people from the harms of urethane paints, not to mention that the isocyanates can be absorbed through skin and can cause eye damage and are toxic.

So, my question is, what are you using for such protection when spraying outdoors, in your garage and/or spray booth?

Thanks
Old 04-05-2017, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Decided to do a bit of research on this, and it appears that organic vapor filters would work at protecting from isocyanates as long as they were replaced very often, as you could not predict, nor detect, when they fail. Since the isocyanates could affect eyes, I would opt for a full mask with a paint suit and hood.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

you can buy the masks fairly cheap. throw away when done.

one of the things I read was if you smell anything, it's not working, you need a new one. you cannot smell any of it.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only other issue I've read comments about is for people that wear glasses. May be a need for a hood.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I think your over reacting a bit. This **** isn't going to drop you dead from using it a couple times. I use it on a daily basis and I'm not sure who scared you but it's not that bad man. Just out a mask on and move on.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
I think your over reacting a bit. This **** isn't going to drop you dead from using it a couple times. I use it on a daily basis and I'm not sure who scared you but it's not that bad man. Just out a mask on and move on.
That is true - lol
Old 04-06-2017, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Have had more than a couple friends that didn't take the urethane seriously enough.. Not sure I want to go out that way..
Old 04-07-2017, 06:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The filter technically lasts for 24 hours. While this may have some truth, I'm sure it is mostly marketing to sell more filters. I've used filters that are months old, no smells. Store the whole mask in zip top bag to help it last longer. Half masks are just fine for weekend warriors, but full $1000 systems are best. $30 at Lowes for 3M half mask will be fine.
The high volume exhaust system(fans) should be pulling most of the fumes out of the area. If you eyes are burning, you aren't moving enough bad air out.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Painted my daughter's RAV4 bumpers this past weekend using lacquer. First adhesion promoter, primer, base color then clear coat. Gotta do a better job of moving fumes around, even though I did this at door of my garage. Learned that I need to better dial in the gun and get fans to move fumes away. The end result was a little too much orange peel, but I can sand and buff that. Gonna give it a couple of weeks to cure.

Did occasionally get some odor, but I've got a goatee and that may have caused leaks. When I used one hand to push the mask more firmly onto my face while spraying with the other hand, it worked better, so I probably have to make the mask tighter.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lacquer isn't so bad, that's why anyone can buy lacquer rattle cans of paint. I've been fine with no mask with good ventilation.
However products with solvents such as tert -butyl- acetate can f you up. Chemicals can absorb through your skin also. Sprayed conversion varnish at work years ago for the first time not knowing what was in it. Next day lungs were fine , but felt like I just got kicked in the nuts. Not good.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are like me a don't want to shave for a mask, you can use vasoline and just put a bit around the seal, it will help create a seal. but yeah for once just get a good cheap mask and be done

Quick Reply: Protection used when painting with urethane paints