Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Add another bent fender to the list...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Default Add another bent fender to the list...

Shop jacked it along the weld seam where they aren't suppose to and it cracked the fender plastic where it bolts.

I was looking at a few different options:

1. Get a new OEM fender for $171, part #10419546 and take it to a local shop to get painted.

2. Buy an already painted black fender from icon_automotive on ebay for $275 shipped. They claim they use 3 coats of color, then 2 coats of clear, all PPG. 1800 positive feedback saying that the matches and fitment were excellent on various car models. It's not an OEM fender, but an aftermarket replacement. Probably have to drill your own 3 holes for where the inner fender liner mounts to it.

Going to see what the local shop wants to paint and install an OEM one, and go from there.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't buy an aftermarket fender they are off by quite a bit.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Aftermarket body parts are for beater/daily driver cars. NONE of them fit as nice as OEM parts on any car.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The aftermarket I had on my old 98 was a 95% fit. The corner above the headlight was slightly off but it fit OK otherwise.

One other option you may have is what had been done to my car. Forget the dumb tab, line the fender up where it should be, then use a pair of screws through the fender into the chassis where it curves up underneath the car (basically right in front of the tab).
Old 06-12-2017, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Take the money and have it fixed right. Factory body parts all the way
Old 06-12-2017, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
The aftermarket I had on my old 98 was a 95% fit. The corner above the headlight was slightly off but it fit OK otherwise.

One other option you may have is what had been done to my car. Forget the dumb tab, line the fender up where it should be, then use a pair of screws through the fender into the chassis where it curves up underneath the car (basically right in front of the tab).
I was thinking of trying this. Will post before and after pics.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
This is what I did on my '02 Z28 when the driver's side tab was cracked free from the fender. I used two flat, small headed/low profile screws and painted them body color. I also bent the tab back into place so it didn't look broken at all, and left the plastic portion attached to it. It was impossible to tell that anything had been done unless you were under the car looking directly up at those screws.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For future to avoid this, throw on a cheap set of 2 point subframe connectors. They help avoid this from happening.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
For future to avoid this, throw on a cheap set of 2 point subframe connectors. They help avoid this from happening.
I've had red subframe connectors on the car.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

I never let anyone else jack up my car. The one time I did, I stood out in the tire shop and told the guys precisely where to place the jacks. They were very accommodating.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Why is GM lacking in foresight, unlike Ford or Dodge was when they designed their fenders? You don't see a bunch of bent mustang fenders from misplacement of jacks on those cars. Why is that? Ya, ya, ya, Ford and Dodge have their own problem in other areas. Still, that is not an excuse. Sometimes a little foresight goes along way. Somebody at GM messed up.

Whatever happened to stepping back after making a design and saying to yourself "now what are all the things wrong with this such that I can remedy them now so that consumers won't call me a dumb *** for not catching this this first time around" I guess they figure the consumer can fix the mistakes of their GM techs for them, which is exactly what had to be done to fix this issue.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
Why is GM lacking in foresight, unlike Ford or Dodge was when they designed their fenders?
So it's GM's fault that people don't know how to jack up a car? Climb down off your soap box. These were cheap quality, mass-produced cars designed in the 90's, that let you go fast for much less and looked pretty darn good doing it. If you were expecting high quality, you've been suckered.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Spartan7
So it's GM's fault that people don't know how to jack up a car? Climb down off your soap box. These were cheap quality, mass-produced cars designed in the 90's, that let you go fast for much less and looked pretty darn good doing it. If you were expecting high quality, you've been suckered.
They were no more expensive than their competition but their competition accounted for idiots jacking up the car in the wrong spot by correctly securing the fenders away from the jacking point area. Every manufacturer has their issues, and they all needed to pull their heads out of their *** when it came to detail. Ford lacked foresight by making the mustangs during that same time look like a damn 4x4 by having a 5 inch gap between the tire and fender.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Fixed in red.

They were no more expensive than their competition but their competition was missing about 100hp for nearly the same price.
Every manufacturer has their issues, and they all needed to pull their heads out of their *** when it came to detail. Ford lacked foresight by making the mustangs during that same time at a performance level that was still competing with L98 F-bodies which had been out of production since 1992.
That's better!
Old 07-14-2017, 08:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

FWIW, the '98 and earlier F-bodies had a protective "foot" that mounted to the frame right behind that tab to bear any weight during improper jacking, it's made of plastic but strong enough to hold the weight if applied evenly. It's still possible to bend the tab accidentally on the earlier cars, but less likely due to this guard.

This is just one of several items that were deleted as production rolled on and GM became cheaper with the later cars (also gone in the later years was the secondary door bottom seal, the hood insulator, the A/C line brace on the passenger side shock tower, and the small plastic trim piece on the driver's side hood hinge, to name a few.)
Old 10-05-2017, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Is there a part number somewhere or a way to tell if a fender is oem? I am about to buy one but it is across the country.

Quick Reply: Add another bent fender to the list...