Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default roof replacement

the roof ofmy 2001 ss camaro was replaced in may of 2004under the tsb.
it took 9 months for the dealership to do it after too many calls to count to the bbb, gm, consumer protection, dealership,etc.the first time they put the roof on crooked like wearin a baseball hat to the side.
this weekend i noticed neww bubbles. i called the dealership this morning and the bobd shop mgr. said he never heard of the tsb.here i go again. luckally i saved all my paperwork and all my phone calls from before. i faxed the tsb over and will see them tomorrow.
i only hope its not another nightmare.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by STEELMAN
the roof ofmy 2001 ss camaro was replaced in may of 2004under the tsb.
it took 9 months for the dealership to do it after too many calls to count to the bbb, gm, consumer protection, dealership,etc.the first time they put the roof on crooked like wearin a baseball hat to the side.
this weekend i noticed neww bubbles. i called the dealership this morning and the bobd shop mgr. said he never heard of the tsb.here i go again. luckally i saved all my paperwork and all my phone calls from before. i faxed the tsb over and will see them tomorrow.
i only hope its not another nightmare.
Thats scary had mine replaced in 04 no problems as of yet.
But hell it took 4years before the first bubbles came out.
If they come back i'am selling the hoe.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Since my car was a flood vehicle the dealer refused to fix mine. (Like the flood had anything to do with the shitty GM screw up!) I went to a local body shop. They repaired it and repainted my drivers side quarter panel (big nasty scratch) for 1200.00. That repair was made last year and it still looks perfect. Not sure how they repaired it though.
It will be back, a simple repaint is only a short term patch. The only way to correctly repair the problem is to replace it.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:17 AM
Teching In

Default bubbles

my roof was replaced and the bubbles came back almost 2 yrs later
Old 03-14-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STEELMAN
my roof was replaced and the bubbles came back almost 2 yrs later
Did they know it was the glue that caused it?
Did they use the newer glue?
Old 03-14-2006, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Default Bubbles

I Don't Know For Sure.
I Would Hope They Did It According To The Tsb Which I Had To Give Them Copies Of.
I Am Going After Work To See The Body Shop Mgr.
I Kept All My Paperwork From Before. Hopefully It Won't Be A Huge Issue Like Before
Old 03-14-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

This has probably been answered but this thread is kind of long, so why dont they go back to the glue they used on the LT1 panels?
Old 03-14-2006, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 99zee
The bubbles first appeared on my 99 about a year ago. There are more bubbles now and some of them are ozzing. I will post some pictures tomorrow when I get home if no one has any posted. I have a copy of the TSB and will call the dealer and see what they say. I should have called a year ago but since the warrenty was up I didn't call. Its looking pretty bad now.
My 00 SS is doing the same thing. Heaven forbid I actually park it in the sun as it gets much worse with heat. It oooozes something like an oil substance.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I noticed my paint bubbling a couple months ago. Now a pinhole seems to have opened up and may be oozing something. Looks like I'll be printing out this information and taking on the local Pontiac dealerships. ****!
Old 03-19-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey a guy over at Corvetteforum.com put black vinyl on his roof to make it contrast with his red car. It looks great and only cost $65. Now the real question, could you put black vinyl over the hideous paint bubbles. Seems to me, you'd have to sand them down and fill them. Anyone try this?
Old 03-19-2006, 02:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Now that's a good idea. I suggested earlier that a metal panel could be made to fit over the stock piece and then painted, but the vinyl sounds good also. A lot cheaper as well. The only down side is that it only lasts a few years before it starts to get weathered, at least here in Texas.

I wonder if black vinyl would look good on a black car? I don't know for sure.

Do you have any pics or a link to that vette?

I've also seen carbon fiber used, but I'm not sure if the bubbles would screw it up or not.
Attached Thumbnails Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-katto6-1-.jpg  

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-19-2006 at 02:24 AM.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Now that's a good idea. I suggested earlier that a metal panel could be made to fit over the stock piece and then painted, but the vinyl sounds good also. A lot cheaper as well. The only down side is that it only lasts a few years before it starts to get weathered, at least here in Texas.

I wonder if black vinyl would look good on a black car? I don't know for sure.

Do you have any pics or a link to that vette?

I've also seen carbon fiber used, but I'm not sure if the bubbles would screw it up or not.
I thought the stock piece was carbon fiber? Here's the link of what it looks like on the Vette: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...yl&forum_id=74
Old 03-19-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are we talking about vinyl as in decals?

If so your waisting your time, it will pop through the vinyl also. My 30th TA had the bubbles in the factory stripes that go over the roof and I replaced the stripes. It lasted about three months and they were back, I replaced the roof panel. As I said before, the only way to fix or eliminate this problem is to replace the panel.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by glennhl
I thought the stock piece was carbon fiber?
What? There is no carbon fiber at all on the F-body. No way GM would spend the money on stuff like that. The roof panels are either ABS plastic or fiberglass. I assume it's been said somewhere in this thread, but I can't remember.
Originally Posted by Jeremiah
Are we talking about vinyl as in decals?
Again, what? No, not vinyl decals. Vinyl roof material. It's kind of like vinyl seat material, but designed to withstand the suns rays and weather. Think back to the Cadillac Brougham's. It can be smooth or have a grain to it, so even if a bubble forms under it, it will not be noticable. You can avoid bubbles altogether if you sand off the paint and just wrap the vinyl onto the raw panel. That way when the gas pushes through the roof panel it will go right through the vinyl as well since vinyl can breath. One of the common downsides to vinyl on a roof was getting rust under there and causing it to bubble, but seeing as how the panel can not rust, it will never bubble.

Glennhl, is that the corvette you where talking about? THAT looks like the vinyl graphics type material. You weren't talking about that were you? That won't work over bubbles.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What? There is no carbon fiber at all on the F-body. No way GM would spend the money on stuff like that. The roof panels are either ABS plastic or fiberglass. I assume it's been said somewhere in this thread, but I can't remember.

Again, what? No, not vinyl decals. Vinyl roof material. It's kind of like vinyl seat material, but designed to withstand the suns rays and weather. Think back to the Cadillac Brougham's. It can be smooth or have a grain to it, so even if a bubble forms under it, it will not be noticable. You can avoid bubbles altogether if you sand off the paint and just wrap the vinyl onto the raw panel. That way when the gas pushes through the roof panel it will go right through the vinyl as well since vinyl can breath. One of the common downsides to vinyl on a roof was getting rust under there and causing it to bubble, but seeing as how the panel can not rust, it will never bubble.

Glennhl, is that the corvette you where talking about? THAT looks like the vinyl graphics type material. You weren't talking about that were you? That won't work over bubbles.
Yes, I was talking about decal vinyl and I guess it wouldn't work because it would trap the gas bubble. I can't believe there isn't some kind of paint that will seal up the gas coming out!
Old 03-20-2006, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

Default Sail roof replacment

Are the Dealerships still honoring this recall? Mines Just started to bubble up, it's really pissing me off.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by glennhl
Yes, I was talking about decal vinyl and I guess it wouldn't work because it would trap the gas bubble. I can't believe there isn't some kind of paint that will seal up the gas coming out!
That's what all paints are doing, sealing it up. We would need a paint that breaths to allow the gas to go through and not form the bubble.

Originally Posted by rtr2001ss
Are the Dealerships still honoring this recall?
It never made it to the point of being an official recall. It's considered a latent defect.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its not just the paint that is blistering, the gel coat is also blistering.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is made from SMC (sheet moulding compound) the same composite used with the SS and WS6 hoods, doors and rear hatch. The current replacement roofs are no different than your originals. SMC has the same expansion rate as steel and is more durable than Fiberglass of the same thickness.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've seen the SS and WS6 hoods and doors busted up on wrecked cars. They do not look like any plastics, but instead have fibers in them exactly like fiberglass. Is it perhaps fiberglass fibers mixed with a type of plastic hardning agent instead of fiberglass resin?

The bumber covers and front fenders are for sure ABS plastic.

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies