Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 03:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a guy in my car club that is a excellent body man decided to do a repair on my just to see if it would work. It didn't cost much since he is a friend tell me what you guys think.

Here is what he done.

After sanding the bubbles down some with 180 grit, I blew some of the dust off with my air blower and the paint started to fly off too! I believe this might be part of the problem with the bubbling. Tiny cracks (more like pin-holes) in the sail panel release gasses from the adhesive underneath, and since the paint has nearly no adhesion to begin with, the expanding gasses underneath push up on the paint and create little bubbles. I ended up using the air blower to remove most of the paint, then sanded the rest off with 180 grit. Three heavy coats of high-build primer should do it! The idea is that the primer sprayed over 180 grit scratches with have extremely good adhesion and form a barrier against the gasses trying to escape through the little pin-holes. Only time will tell though.
Attached Thumbnails Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-repair.jpg   Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-imag0553.jpg   Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-imag0555.jpg   Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-imag0558.jpg   Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-imag0563.jpg  

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-imag0565.jpg   Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-imag0566.jpg   Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-imag0568.jpg   Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-imag0570.jpg   Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-imag0578.jpg  

Old 07-06-2010, 03:54 PM
10 Second Club

Here are a few more pics. I don't know how long this will last but i will keep you posted. The car stays in the garage most of the time. Have to say big thanks to Josh.
Attached Thumbnails Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-imag0581.jpg   Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-imag0614.jpg   Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-caratjoshs.jpg  
Old 07-06-2010, 10:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Most people that have had this re-painted see the problem return in 6-12 months.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

i called gm today argued for an hr finally got an appointment at the dealership went there and the body shop manager told me he had one in last month and got it approved he said hed start the papers for mine and get back to me by monday so we could get the car in and taken care of... so well see how its goes
Old 07-10-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Most people that have had this re-painted see the problem return in 6-12 months.
Have anyone ever tried a SEALER, during the prep work? There are some serious chemicals out there that are so hard the sandpaper cannot eat through them.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Teching In

I hate to be the bearer of very bad news but I had mine replaced in 2003. The whole roof because it is not a t-top, all at GMs expense. I thought I was one of the lucky ones. The car has always been garaged, a '98 SS with 32,000 miles. Pristine condition, silver with black top. Just noticed this week the problem is returning. It was bubbles the first time, now I can see wavy areas where the glue was applied. Down the middle of the roof, and across the back just above the glass hatch. Seems to be worse the higher the ambient temperature. Up the creek with no paddle this time I guess.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

Mine needs to be replaced also. But for some reason, I have been thinking that the problem may reappear on the ones that have been replaced at some point.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so can this still be done? what are the requirements? my car is a 2000 and im not the original owner...body has over 114k on it... have little bubbles that look like theyre ready to break open on my sail panel... who d i contact about this if i even can still do it?
Old 07-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Launching!

So there are no creative solution to this problem other than ripping the old one off and replacing it with a new one with proper adhesive? Seems like someone could make some big coin in the aftermarket if they could come up with some kind of custom sail panel cover that would look great and cover the ugliness.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:24 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

the market for any such product would be very small.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pjb
the market for any such product would be very small.
This is page 64 of this thread. There are dozens of other threads on this subject elsewhere.

Small market for this product? I respectfully disagree.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by danbrazda
This is page 64 of this thread. There are dozens of other threads on this subject elsewhere.

Small market for this product? I respectfully disagree.
Well then go for it big guy make your fortune in this huge market...
Old 07-19-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So there are no creative solution to this problem other than ripping the old one off and replacing it with a new one with proper adhesive? Seems like someone could make some big coin in the aftermarket if they could come up with some kind of custom sail panel cover that would look great and cover the ugliness.
To bad someone doesn't make a carbonfiber overlay.

I wonder if 6LE would be interested in making a ABS or carbonfiber overlay?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bj350hp
To bad someone doesn't make a carbonfiber overlay.

I wonder if 6LE would be interested in making a ABS or carbonfiber overlay?

We've thought about making them, but it would cost too much, and the profit margin would be too minimal. We'd have to charge at least $500 and we'd have to ship it in HUGE box as it doesn't fold up. I'm sure shipping would be over $150. Our splitters alone are over $100.

But I need a sail panel too. :/
Old 07-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ebonreaver
I hate to be the bearer of very bad news but I had mine replaced in 2003. The whole roof because it is not a t-top, all at GMs expense. I thought I was one of the lucky ones. The car has always been garaged, a '98 SS with 32,000 miles. Pristine condition, silver with black top. Just noticed this week the problem is returning. It was bubbles the first time, now I can see wavy areas where the glue was applied. Down the middle of the roof, and across the back just above the glass hatch. Seems to be worse the higher the ambient temperature. Up the creek with no paddle this time I guess.
The whole panel was replaced? There's a part of me that's hoping that they just sanded it and repainted, thus allowing the bubbles to come back, and just didn't tell you...but if what you say is true, I'm gonna be pissed - mine was replaced late last year by a body shop that I trust, and I think they used one of the adhesives specified in the TSB--I just don't know which one. If this **** comes back
Old 07-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

I work in a body shop. I am a painter, so I just sprayed my entire car, the body is perfect. The car is beautiful, cut and buffed to a piece of glass. BUT, The roof is shot, bubbles everywhere, ruining the car. I tried fixing the panel twice, it won't happen. I sanded it all out, epoxy primer, high build primer, block sand, 3 more coats of high build, came right through. Bodywokred it out and primed again, comes right through. You need some serious material to block it from coming through and I honeslty dont think there is anything besides replacing the panel that will fix it. I will be fighting with GM to see if the is ANYTHING at all that they can do. By the way, gmpartsdirect just jacked their price up higher on the panel (the week before I go to order it) figures...you're looking at $700 bucks to by one out of your own pocket.(from gmpartsdirect) GM sells them for $1030 now.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Couple guys have had success getting used pre 2000 roof removed from salvaged fbodies and installing. Way cheaper than new roof.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by maxgee
Couple guys have had success getting used pre 2000 roof removed from salvaged fbodies and installing. Way cheaper than new roof.
Sounds like a good alternative to a new one but exactly how do you get the old one off without damaging it?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a good alternative to a new one but exactly how do you get the old one off without damaging it?
When the body shop replaced my panel, they called in a guy from a windshield replacement company - from what I understand, he was able to cut it off, and keep it in one piece. I'm not sure how willing someone like that would be to go to a junk yard, but that's how they did mine.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Unhappy

Originally Posted by blown90camaro
i called gm today argued for an hr finally got an appointment at the dealership went there and the body shop manager told me he had one in last month and got it approved he said hed start the papers for mine and get back to me by monday so we could get the car in and taken care of... so well see how its goes
Any update? I called a local dealership and I missed their call back, but I want to try again. Are you the original owner? Just curious if I should push this a little more or accept defeat and let it be till I have $1000 laying around, which is highly unlikely.

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies