Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you guys can remove a sail panel with guitar strings/ piano wire and keep it in tact couldn't you theoretically remove your own bubbling one, clean or scrape the bad glue off, then prime/prep and repaint and re-use the "bad" one?
Old 12-25-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
If you guys can remove a sail panel with guitar strings/ piano wire and keep it in tact couldn't you theoretically remove your own bubbling one, clean or scrape the bad glue off, then prime/prep and repaint and re-use the "bad" one?
From what I've heard and read on here some have already tried that with no success. The oils and gunk that is in the glue has already seeped into the sail panel and it's basically useless.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 Trans Am and bubbles just starting to appear. If you can't use your old one because of the glue gas seepage, whats to prevent the seepage from any used ones that were previously on a car without any visible damage. I'm just learning about this from the posts but it seems reasonable that all would be exposed to the glue and therefore have the damage possibly done wheather currently showing or not.

I've read in other post 6LE can make the sail panels but need 10 preorders, I am now on the list. Don't know how many they have but should be a no brainer if that is an easy fix.

Their contact fillout page:
http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...238fb7e5f47201
Old 12-27-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Horizon190
I have a 2001 Trans Am and bubbles just starting to appear. If you can't use your old one because of the glue gas seepage, whats to prevent the seepage from any used ones that were previously on a car without any visible damage. I'm just learning about this from the posts but it seems reasonable that all would be exposed to the glue and therefore have the damage possibly done wheather currently showing or not.

I've read in other post 6LE can make the sail panels but need 10 preorders, I am now on the list. Don't know how many they have but should be a no brainer if that is an easy fix.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:06 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by TechCam97
93-early98's did not use the same glue and did not have the same problem.
Exactly. This problem has only appeared on F-bodies built from 05/98* till the end of 2002 production. The TSB was only issued for '99+, but the change that caused this issue was phased in during very late '98 assembly, so any built during or after 05/98* are at risk. The earlier cars don't develop this issue.

* Some May (and even June) '98s have been OK as well, but in general you are at risk with a build date during those months, the same as '99+ cars. My data on 04/98 has been limited, so that month may be risky as well. 03/98 and earlier have always checked out OK.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 12-28-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

Does anyone have the GM part number for the roof panel for the ttop roof panel? Thanks.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brising
Does anyone have the GM part number for the roof panel for the ttop roof panel? Thanks.
I've got it, but it will do you no good. GM discontinued the part, you can't find it on GMpartsdirect.com or anything.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:55 AM
Teching In

From what I have gathered the only way to fix this thing is to replace with a new panel, or a used 1993 to early 1998 panel. I have a 2001 Trans Am. So should I be looking for a 93-98 Firebird panel. Would a 93-98 Camaro panel be the same.

From what I've read, new panel options are close to nil as GM no longer makes them and you can't get them any longer from anywhere.

Mark at 6LE responded back to me and advised they will be making a final decision to go forward or not the first couple weeks of January. My opinion is this would be the best best option for someone of limited skills such as myself for trying to do this.

I think the people who have these 10+ year old cars love and share a passion for them. Mine is low miles and show car quality except the the rideous roof.

I put my name of the list to 6LE. They can make the sail panels but need 10 preorders, I don't know how many they have but to me this is a no brainer if that is an easy fix.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

My question is who is still currently making these roof panels then? If GMdirect isn't then who isnt? Ive got quotes on the the panel and they said the panel is available..
Old 12-31-2010, 11:22 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by brising
My question is who is still currently making these roof panels then? If GMdirect isn't then who isnt? Ive got quotes on the the panel and they said the panel is available..
Currently, nobody is making them. There is a push and hope for 6LE to do a run of these, and maybe if it's popular and profitable enough, it'll become a regular/semi-regular item from them.

If you found a shop/business that says they can still get one, then you should jump on it. My guess is though, that once they actually go to order it they won't be able to.

The only other options you currently have are:

1) Find a used panel, or find someone selling a factory NOS panel
2) Have something custom made by a good fiberglass fabricator, etc.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what I have gathered the only way to fix this thing is to replace with a new panel, or a used 1993 to early 1998 panel.
Correct.

I have a 2001 Trans Am. So should I be looking for a 93-98 Firebird panel. Would a 93-98 Camaro panel be the same.
Any roof panel from a 93 - early 98 Camaro or Firebird will interchange. Doesn't matter if it's a base model V6 or a highly optioned V8, if the roof is the same (t-top or hardtop) then you can use it.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Currently, nobody is making them. There is a push and hope for 6LE to do a run of these, and maybe if it's popular and profitable enough, it'll become a regular/semi-regular item from them.

If you found a shop/business that says they can still get one, then you should jump on it. My guess is though, that once they actually go to order it they won't be able to.

The only other options you currently have are:

1) Find a used panel, or find someone selling a factory NOS panel
2) Have something custom made by a good fiberglass fabricator, etc.
So here's a behind the scenes update...

As I've been waiting for ten people to step up and be ready to order (think we're at like 4) I've been trying to put everything in place.

WELL, at first the tooling guy refuses to do it because he doesn't want to be reliable for the structural integrity. I just communicate with him through the company I private label stuff out of (the one I don in the states, not China) so he thought it was the actual roof.

The guy is now going to explain to him that it has nothing to do with the car's structural integrity that it is a piece that glues on to the actual metal roof of the car.

Once I have him convinced then I can get pricing and go from there. I am NOT doing these through China and am not interested in doing them through my local guy because then I'd have to figure out how to ship the SOB's so let's hope the guy I private label the valances through gets on board...
Old 01-01-2011, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER

As I've been waiting for ten people to step up and be ready to order (think we're at like 4) I've been trying to put everything in place.

WELL, at first the tooling guy refuses to do it because he doesn't want to be reliable for the structural integrity. I just communicate with him through the company I private label stuff out of (the one I don in the states, not China) so he thought it was the actual roof.

The guy is now going to explain to him that it has nothing to do with the car's structural integrity that it is a piece that glues on to the actual metal roof of the car.

Once I have him convinced then I can get pricing and go from there. I am NOT doing these through China and am not interested in doing them through my local guy because then I'd have to figure out how to ship the SOB's so let's hope the guy I private label the valances through gets on board...

Sounds good, keep us up to date!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking about just having my sail panel wrapped in flat black to hide the small bubbling. Do you guys think this would work or would it still show?
Old 01-05-2011, 01:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER

Are you planning a run of the actual hardtop roof or just the t-top? I had mine redone by GM a couple years ago but you never know if it might happen again it'd be nice to know I potentially have a resource.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZeeSNuttS
I was thinking about just having my sail panel wrapped in flat black to hide the small bubbling. Do you guys think this would work or would it still show?
From what I have heard no paint or sealant has been able to stop the bubbling.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZeeSNuttS
I've heard it still shows up. If it's not a permanent fix, just something to make it look nice while you find a new panel and save up for paint and body work, it would probably be ok. If you're thinking of a solution that doesn't require replacing the panel, I doubt that it will work.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

i can get another panel
if anyone is interested PM me

edit ......its gone!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by slammed1500; 01-17-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Sent ya a PM...

-Jay-
Old 01-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Any updates from anyone what to do here. No one has them or makes them that I can find. No luck at a junk yard yet either.

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies