Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangMuncher
GM CORPORATE is going to get one NASTY letter from me on my Attorney's Letterhead!!! Let's see what happens.
i was reading on the 35thLE forums about this and a guy said some people he knew actually took it to court and ended up losing.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

Man,,,,GM CORPORATE is going to get one NASTY letter from me on my Attorney's Letterhead!!! Let's see what happens.
I can tell you what'll happen with that, a bunch of nothin! I'm sure they offered you an extended warranty when you bought that new SS in 01.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was directed to this thread today about this paint issue. My paint started bubbling in the last year and I have kept it in a garage for the past 4 years and I have owned it since 2003. I actually worked for a gm dealer from 2003-2006 and would have it serviced periodically there and was never notified by the service sept that there was a recall. When I brought my father's envoy in for service they would tell me recalls for that vehicle. So my question is, since my trans am is definitely out of warranty would they still have to honor the recall? I have already in the past week took it to a body shop and they quoted me $2000 for parts and labor. Which I think is too much!
Old 08-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Again - this is NOT a recall. GM issued a service bulletin that describes the problem and how to fix it. That's it.

Very few people have had luck getting GM to fix it. The ones that have seem to have a good relationship with their local dealership. I, unfortunately, did not. It cost me around $1,000 in parts and labor to have mine fixed. God help the person that has to deal with me if this problem ever comes back.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Again - this is NOT a recall. GM issued a service bulletin that describes the problem and how to fix it. That's it.

Very few people have had luck getting GM to fix it. The ones that have seem to have a good relationship with their local dealership. I, unfortunately, did not. It cost me around $1,000 in parts and labor to have mine fixed. God help the person that has to deal with me if this problem ever comes back.
My apology, I read a little more of the thread. But shouldn't they had notified owners who bought or registered their vehicles to gm. Also, with the amount of camaros and firebirds that have this problem shouldn't there have been recall. This makes me not to ever buy a gm in the future.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

holy ****...
i noticed this problem on my car a couple months ago.... i was going crazy!!!...ive had the car for 5 years its been in a garage since i bought it.. only 38,000 miles and i have to deal with this....at least i know im not the only one
Old 08-20-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Man..65 pages of info on this topic, and I just found this thread. Where have I been all my life? My '01 SS (that I still have at 88,000 miles, and bought new in 2001), has been bubbling for years, and I have been complaining to my dealer since WAY before 60,000 miles, and I was never told about the Service Bulletin, and was told basically, TOO EFFIN BAD FOR YOU !!!! Man,,,,GM CORPORATE is going to get one NASTY letter from me on my Attorney's Letterhead!!! Let's see what happens.
You do not think that GM gives a flyin phuch about it do you.....that is why GM issued a service bulletin and not a recall. Recalls cost big money service bulletins don't cost didilly squat....Do not spend any $$ on a lawyer...spend it on getting your **** fixed ... GM has a ton of lawyers you can't scare them ...
Old 08-20-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man..65 pages of info on this topic, and I just found this thread. Where have I been all my life? My '01 SS (that I still have at 88,000 miles, and bought new in 2001), has been bubbling for years, and I have been complaining to my dealer since WAY before 60,000 miles, and I was never told about the Service Bulletin, and was told basically, TOO EFFIN BAD FOR YOU !!!! Man,,,,GM CORPORATE is going to get one NASTY letter from me on my Attorney's Letterhead!!! Let's see what happens.
Yeah, I'm sure they haven't seen their fair share of nasty letters and attorneys............

Rather than wasting money and time with an attorney, you would be best served getting this problem fixed with a new panel.

Want to know how little of a **** GM gives about this problem? Before I took them to arbitration with the BBB they wanted to settle with me by lowering my deductible on my extended warranty from $100 to $0. That was with about 3,000 miles left on the warranty, which of course they knew.

I'm just about the only person I have heard of that was able to bring GM into arbitration with the BBB and actually won. That was only because the guy GM sent to do their dirty work was a complete moron and a jackass. The arbitrator got tired of him reading off of a script and awarded me the ruling, probably out of spite.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by mangus2k1ws6
My apology, I read a little more of the thread. But shouldn't they had notified owners who bought or registered their vehicles to gm. Also, with the amount of camaros and firebirds that have this problem shouldn't there have been recall. This makes me not to ever buy a gm in the future.
There's a reason why this thread has blown up with so many views/posts. People feel like GM turned its back on us.

In all fairness, though, if I were GM, I wouldn't have done a recall either. That would have cost tons of money. Sucks for us, but that's business in corporate America.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's a reason why this thread has blown up with so many views/posts. People feel like GM turned its back on us.

In all fairness, though, if I were GM, I wouldn't have done a recall either. That would have cost tons of money. Sucks for us, but that's business in corporate America.

Then you would be in the same boat of people that represent everything that is wrong with this country.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Well this Monday I have phone conference with gm customer service and a gm dealership in my location depending how it goes, I will let you all know what happen and maybe we all join together on a class action suit. I did see on autosafety' s website that dateline NBC did a show on the 80-90's paint issue. I am sure they would love another story like this.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, my Dad had bought all Chevrolets up until 1987. The paint started fading and peeling on his 1982 cavalier after the 2nd year and his 1987 eurosport during the 1st year. The dealer said yep we have a problem, Gm refused to repair either of them. Dad told the GM rep in Michigan, then I will never buy another GM product again. He has bought all Honda's since and has been well pleased.

I bought a new cavalier in 1985, paint faded and peeled in the 1st year. I sold it and have not bought another Gm product until I bought my 2000 SS. My SS has 73,000 garage kept miles on it and every time I drive it in the hot sun the sail panel oozes crap everywhere. The only Gm product I will ever buy again will be a corvette.

My Dad likes my SS but he laughs and says: You should have learned your lesson back in 1985..

So yeah, I guess it does suck for us but it also sucks for GM. Thats the stories of two customers they lost and will probably never get again..
Old 08-23-2010, 06:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tnhillbilly
Yeah, my Dad had bought all Chevrolets up until 1987. The paint started fading and peeling on his 1982 cavalier after the 2nd year and his 1987 eurosport during the 1st year. The dealer said yep we have a problem, Gm refused to repair either of them.
Your dads cars were under factory warranty. Why wouldn't they fix them? Your dad must be a pushover.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Your dads cars were under factory warranty. Why wouldn't they fix them? Your dad must be a pushover.

He is easy-going. They were repairing some of the cars with paint problems but told him the cavaliers and eurosports hadn't been recalled. He went to the dealer 2 or 3 times then in the end talked to someone at GM.

I ended up brushing rustoleum industrial paint on the eurosport because it had faded down to the bare metal in places. Rustoleum FTW...

His 92 Prelude has 306,000 miles, 93 Accord has 235,000 miles and bought an 09 Accord also. They all have been great cars. It worked out ok for him..
Old 08-23-2010, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
My parents had 89 chevy berreta. It had the typical silver paint peeling off the hood and they were told their's would not be covered under warranty nor the recall
Old 08-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by loyolacub68

Then you would be in the same boat of people that represent everything that is wrong with this country.
I never said I agreed with what they've done, but think about it - estimate how many people have this problem, multiply by ~$1,000 per fix - with as much trouble as they've had over the last few years, they couldn't afford something this costly.

You may not like it, but that's the world we live in. The auto industry doesn't really revolve around the enthusiast.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

So yeah, I guess it does suck for us but it also sucks for GM. Thats the stories of two customers they lost and will probably never get again..
i'm sure they don't care.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

He is easy-going. They were repairing some of the cars with paint problems but told him the cavaliers and eurosports hadn't been recalled. He went to the dealer 2 or 3 times then in the end talked to someone at GM.

I ended up brushing rustoleum industrial paint on the eurosport because it had faded down to the bare metal in places. Rustoleum FTW...

His 92 Prelude has 306,000 miles, 93 Accord has 235,000 miles and bought an 09 Accord also. They all have been great cars. It worked out ok for him..
You say it worked out OK ... ... All I can say is that your ol man has beeen riding around in some real dull driving **** for a long time ... I just can't drive a dull car and one thing that you can count on is that honda builds some dull **** ... you on the other hand bought the most hot rod for the dollar on the market ... go to a junk yard and remove a panel from a pre 98 F body and have it painted and put it on your car and be done with it...you can fix this if you do the work yourself for $300 or less ...(there is a thread showing a guy do the whole thing) or go buy yourself a phuchin honda and ride around in dullness ... maybe spice it up a little with a fart can muffer.... ... your ol man and you are living in the past ...GM had a paint problem back in the late 80's earily 90's ... just an FYI for ya this is 2010 ... GM's paint has been as good as any on the maket for a long long time...I've got 216,000 + miles on a 2000 Z28 and it has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned and it has been run hard everday of its life ... Buy American !!!

Last edited by slt200mph; 08-24-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never said I agreed with what they've done, but think about it - estimate how many people have this problem, multiply by ~$1,000 per fix - with as much trouble as they've had over the last few years, they couldn't afford something this costly.

You may not like it, but that's the world we live in. The auto industry doesn't really revolve around the enthusiast.
I never said it would be cheap, you said if you were GM you would have screwed everyone over too.

And you are right, it is the world we live in, and it sucks that people think this kind of behavior is okay. The industry should be focused on the consumer. I should be able to buy a car where after 6 years the paint isn't falling off of it, especially when I am doing everything to take care of it.

Let me put it to you this way, if I worked at GM and was in a higher up position with some kind of authority, I would have issued the recall. I would have even done it under threat of being fired. Why? I have morals. And it would have been the right business decision.

Look at the guy in this thread who said his dad won't buy from GM anymore. Perfect example, its because the auto industry in the US hasn't given two ***** about the consumer for the past two decades is why half of GM is owned by the government. People would rather go buy some piece of crap stupid piece of Honda/Toyota bullshit, cars that have absolutely no personality, than buy American made cars. Why? Because the US automakers have been shitting on the US consumers for so long, people finally said "F" you guys.

I understand that there has been some crafty marketing by foreign auto makers making GM's problems seem worse than they are, and that people have similar problems with Honda/Toyota as well, but if you stand by the work you put out and correct problems as soon as they arise (taking care of your customer) then no one can question you.

So, if you stand by your original statement that "if I were GM, I wouldn't have done a recall either", then I still stand by my statement that your type of mentality is exactly what is wrong in this country.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I'm still not following why GM should care...the newest of the cars with these problems are 8 years old. Most of them are worth less than $10,000. This is a dead issue in GM's eyes.

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies