Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010 | 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I'm still not following why GM should care...the newest of the cars with these problems are 8 years old. Most of them are worth less than $10,000. This is a dead issue in GM's eyes.
I completely agree with you. All cars are out of the original warranty and also out of the paint protection warranty (how I got mine fixed through BBB). It's a 8 to 10 year old car depending on the car. When I got mine fixed in 2006, GM had a hard time convincing the arbitrator that a 6 year old car would normally have this problem.

My point is GM knew about the problem around the 2002 model year as evident from the date of their TSBs. They could have let people know then or issued a recall.

You are right, as even most recalls for things more serious than a roof panel tend to have an expiration.
Old 08-27-2010 | 11:43 AM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Very few people have had luck getting GM to fix it. The ones that have seem to have a good relationship with their local dealership.

Agreed. I've been loyal to my local Chevy dealer, and they have always returned the favor. When I brought my '02 Z28 in (in early 2008), even though the car had NO extended warranty, 70k miles, was over 6 years old, and I was NOT the original owner, they covered the repair with NO problems at all. Actually, once I showed them the TSB, they said they'd recently done two of them and that this would be done "at no charge to me". They stuck to their word. Not sure if they'd do this for everyone, might have something to do with the large amount of business I've given them over many years.

My point in mentioning this is that I think the dealer deserves more credit for the repair than GM. I'm almost certain that GM never refunded the dealer the cost of this repair, they probably just ate it.

Originally Posted by Tnhillbilly
My Dad likes my SS but he laughs and says: You should have learned your lesson back in 1985..

So yeah, I guess it does suck for us but it also sucks for GM. Thats the stories of two customers they lost and will probably never get again..
Right, because other OEMs don't ever have problems. You could have bought a toyota, then your paint would be fine right up until the moment you crash the car due to uncontrolled acceleration.
Old 09-08-2010 | 10:19 AM
Launching!

Last I heard there were going to be more new rear roof panels available "in September". Anyone finding any out there that are shipping?
Old 09-09-2010 | 02:25 PM
On The Tree

GM just told me today that they are not going to cover this problem at all even if people have extended warranties or not. I agree with people that GM is ultimately doing a business decision on this issue, but I believe that GM or any company that admits they made a mistake before people started showing the symptoms of a defect the manufacturer has a responsibility to fix it or they will burry themselves a bigger grave. GM was a big part in my family. After this issue, I will never buy a GM labeled product ever again. Back in 1997, Dateline NBC did a report on the '80 and '90 paint defects. Maybe they would like to do another one on this. Because I dont think all f-body owners are aware of this problem and I didnt know until i did my research a month ago and my paint didnt start bubbling until Feb of this year. GM did tell me one thing that can be beneficial to all of us if everyone agrees to it. They said the only way a recall could happen is if there was enough people to submit complaints to Auto Safety. Auto Safety would do an investigation on the issue and force GM to do a recall if the problem is an actual big issue. Anyone want to do this with me? The website is autosafety.org I am also submitting a claim to BBB and I am also going to see if I include other owners into the claim when they contact me. If anyone wants to join me on a BBB claim just send me a private message on here.
Old 09-10-2010 | 05:55 AM
Launching!

I would happily support any effort to get GM to take care of this. But calling it a "paint problem" will only confuse the issue. This is an adhesive issue and should be addressed as such. If that **** is so toxic that the gases leak through the paint any any sealer known to man I would guess it's not environmentally safe. Maybe that would be an angle that would get some attention. Anyone know if that adhesive is still in use anywhere?
Old 09-10-2010 | 06:16 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mangus2k1ws6
GM just told me today that they are not going to cover this problem at all even if people have extended warranties or not. I agree with people that GM is ultimately doing a business decision on this issue, but I believe that GM or any company that admits they made a mistake before people started showing the symptoms of a defect the manufacturer has a responsibility to fix it or they will burry themselves a bigger grave. GM was a big part in my family. After this issue, I will never buy a GM labeled product ever again. Back in 1997, Dateline NBC did a report on the '80 and '90 paint defects. Maybe they would like to do another one on this. Because I dont think all f-body owners are aware of this problem and I didnt know until i did my research a month ago and my paint didnt start bubbling until Feb of this year. GM did tell me one thing that can be beneficial to all of us if everyone agrees to it. They said the only way a recall could happen is if there was enough people to submit complaints to Auto Safety. Auto Safety would do an investigation on the issue and force GM to do a recall if the problem is an actual big issue. Anyone want to do this with me? The website is autosafety.org I am also submitting a claim to BBB and I am also going to see if I include other owners into the claim when they contact me. If anyone wants to join me on a BBB claim just send me a private message on here.
good luck getting this treated as a "safety" issue.
I'd like to get mine fixed for free also, but I think you're fighting a losing battle.
Old 09-10-2010 | 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by danbrazda
I would happily support any effort to get GM to take care of this. But calling it a "paint problem" will only confuse the issue. This is an adhesive issue and should be addressed as such. If that **** is so toxic that the gases leak through the paint any any sealer known to man I would guess it's not environmentally safe. Maybe that would be an angle that would get some attention. Anyone know if that adhesive is still in use anywhere?
of course it is glue or adhesive issue but it ate my clearcoat. the adhesive was not only used on fbodies but other gm vehicles like the grand am for body side moldings
Old 09-10-2010 | 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

I can't believe that people are still talking about this, and actually have ANY hope that it will be fixed by GM for free 8 years after the last model year - and some are expecting to get cars even earlier than 02' fixed

Think it's time to give up, suck it up, and pay to get it fixed if you have the problem and it bothers you...
Old 09-10-2010 | 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pjb
good luck getting this treated as a "safety" issue.
I'd like to get mine fixed for free also, but I think you're fighting a losing battle.
autosafey.org is not only for safety issues, if there is enough complaints or claims of a particular issue they will produce an investigation. I agree it's a losing battle only when one person at a time puts in a complaint. if we act as one party we would have a chance. there is even joint lawsuits on autosafety.org for keys having chips inside them. they are claiming a monopoly with the manufacturers. if we don't act now together nothing will be done and owners of fbodies in colder climates their paint won't bubble for a numerous of years. and yes first claims of the glue issue started in hotter climates.
Old 09-10-2010 | 11:13 AM
On The Tree

I would like to comment on people who say this is a losing battle, gm doesn't care, etc. don't bother commenting in this thread if you don't care. this thread is for people who take pride in the appearance of their car and what this matter resolved in way or another.
Old 09-10-2010 | 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
I can't believe that people are still talking about this, and actually have ANY hope that it will be fixed by GM for free 8 years after the last model year - and some are expecting to get cars even earlier than 02' fixed

Think it's time to give up, suck it up, and pay to get it fixed if you have the problem and it bothers you...
do your research before responding! it takes time for the glue to do it's damage to even be noticeable. if you live in a colder climate like I do. it takes longer to seep through paint than ones from Arizona or California. the glue on my car didn't start to seep through until the beginning of this year so I was of oblivious to the issue. would you like to pay for the panel that is listed for $1030? for a body panel that is rape. and trying to find one at junk is impossible to be in good condition and to pull it off yourself, please! they already said you would do it like a windshield without breaking the panel.

Last edited by mangus2k1ws6; 09-10-2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: needed to add more
Old 09-10-2010 | 11:57 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

I would like to comment on people who say this is a losing battle, gm doesn't care, etc. don't bother commenting in this thread if you don't care. this thread is for people who take pride in the appearance of their car and what this matter resolved in way or another.
dude - this thread was started over 5 years ago! how are you going to join in 5 years later and tell people how to respond???
get real
Old 09-10-2010 | 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pjb
dude - this thread was started over 5 years ago! how are you going to join in 5 years later and tell people how to respond???
get real
if you would read the thread this issue takes time to occur and mine didn't start until this year so I have every right to tell someone who is bashing others in this thread for actually want to do something instead of ones who have nothing better to do than just bring negativity to this thread. if someone wants to act upon it and you don't like it, keep your thoughts to yourself.
Old 09-10-2010 | 12:28 PM
On The Tree

this thread was originally created to help other owners are of the problem, how to fix it properly, how to take legal action yourself or even how to find the parts if you decide just to get done with your own money. it was not created for people to bash each other. I am asking for any moderators witnessing this to act upon the ones who have been asked to stop.
Old 09-10-2010 | 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Uh, I've been on this forum since 2002, I have a 2000 WS6 and an 2002 CE (both since purchased new), I've been aware of this issue since it 1st came out, I live in PA, NEITHER of my T/A's have this problem - and frankly I don't give a rat's *** if they do get it - if and when that happens, I'll pay to have it fixed.

I have receipts for $34k in modifications to the 02' (it is iinsured for $60k), a room full of trophies from shows (34 1st Place, 9 Best of Show, 11 Best GM, 4 Peoples Choice, 3 Best Engine, 2 Best Sound, 5 2nd Place).

The 02' is factory stock. Both have the origianl paint (cept for 00' which had the nose repainted due to chips anfd the hood for custom stripes), orginal leather interiors and look as if new.

I am very **** about taking care of any of my cars and what they look like, and who, if anyone but me does work on them. The Black T/A doesn't have a swirl mark on it.

At any rate, I think I've proven my point. I simply state that this thread did have validity back in the day when the cars were 2-3 yrs old .It is no longer a thread kept alive by people that take pride in their cars - but people who want something for free.

I guess I should sue GM for the spaghetti warehouse of wiring and vacuum hoses on my 68' Vette that constantly are going bad and having to be replaced - even though it's 42 yrs old? After all, they designed it that way, it's unreliable, so why shouldn't they pay to fix it?

GM didn't care much about fixing the problem when it first came out. Their repair history for this problem was erratic - they certainly don't care now. Hell, they care so much about Pontiac that they dropped the entire line...

Oh, and last time I checked, this was still America and I can voice my opinion whether you like it or not.

It's not that I don't care about others problems - it's just that at some point ya have to let it go. If you actually get your roof fixed by GM, I'll be the 1st person to congratulate you on your diligence.
Old 09-10-2010 | 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

I guess you run/own LS1Tech now too? No one has made any derogatory statements to anyone - just stated it's time to give up...
Old 09-10-2010 | 12:45 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

anytime you ask people to join your cause, you should fully expect to hear opinions about your cause.

my opinion is that your cause is dead.
Old 09-10-2010 | 01:59 PM
On The Tree

I am going the ask the both of you for the last time to stop. if you don't care about the problem why are you looking and responding on this thread???????????????????????????????????????????? ????????
Old 09-11-2010 | 02:28 AM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

it was not created for people to bash each other. I am asking for any moderators witnessing this to act upon the ones who have been asked to stop.
I have seen no "bashing". Disagreements happen in most threads on this site. Disagreement is not the same as bashing. There are several members here who are simply being realistic - at this point there isn't much hope towards getting GM to cover the repair.

If you wish to disagree with those people and continue your quest, that's your right, but you are only instigating conflict with a comment like that.

I am going the ask the both of you for the last time to stop.
I am going to ask you to stop. If you don't care for certain replies, then ignore them. That's the fastest way to avoid a problem and end the issue.
Old 09-11-2010 | 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

My father-in-law has an 05' corvette. Gm is replacing the targa tops because the painted skin on the targa panel can come off during driving. His was replaced last week. They color matched the paint and swapped out tops with him.

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies