Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
Any links for the website?
Here is a link to the problem solvers article.

http://www.local6.com/problemsolver...337/detail.html

Here is the link to the online complaint form.

http://www.local6.com/money/2243827/detail.html

Here is there main page. The top right has the link to the complaint form and there mail address. They're in Orlando.

http://www.local6.com/problemsolvers/index.html
Old 08-04-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't think new paint would last 2 years? What if you stripped the paint off and put heat lamps on the roof area to draw out the gas. How much gas do you think there is? It has to stop sometime, right?

Carbon fiber? Who wants that?

I still think my earlier idea of getting a sheet of steel or aluminum and just forming it over the stock roof. Roll the edges, trim it for a tighter fit around the edges than the stock roof and then use epoxy or some glue to attach it. You could even paint it off the car and bake the paint and then attch it over the roof. No down time for your car. Those gases aren't going to go through metal. If I could crank these aluminum panels out for the members here for say $200ea. (just paint and glue into place) would anyone be interested?
Old 08-04-2006, 03:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I personally think the carbon fiber would look very nice there and won't have to worry about the paint bubbling ever again.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think I already poted some pics of a carbon fiber roof. I was on an LT1, though. Plus there is no guarantee it won't bubble through it.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Launching!

I tried to repair mine by sanding it down and repainting it.The bubbles came right back plus it was oozing some stuff.Whatever GM used to glue it on is the problem.I resanded it just tonight and I'm going to try stripping off any of the factory urethane and sealing the bottom with primer or something.Maybe plastic repair.The bulletin says to paint the underside with epoxy primer.Has anyone sucessfully repaired one of these?
Old 08-10-2006, 02:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the best thing to do is find the name and part number of the glue GM used on the 93-97 LT1 F-Body's as there was no problems with the sail panel or roof between these years and use that glue for the new sail panel or roof to be replaced.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

Hey, a while back I posted the official GM SB and I went to only 2 dealers and the first one just pissed me off and said they knew nothing about it. Well at this point I pulled out the GM SB and said what is this and he said uhh, so I said agine have you heard anything about this? Then I had his attention and he blew me a line that GM would never pay for that it's past the 3year/36,000 miles so I said you can call your DM for GM but this is up to the dealership to replace. His famous last words were he won't do anything for you. He called back about an hour later and said we will pay for half and I said like hell GM will eat this repair. The next dealer I went to were great they loved my car. Then they saw the roof and said that makes me sick.
Then he said take it to our body shop and tell them I said we will fix it and GM will get our back. I said what did you just say and he said what it's GM mistake, no charge to you. They have had my car 4 days I'm going Friday to pick my baby up. GM will pay for there f**k up you just have to find adealer that gives a **** about us and not just that old mighty dollar.
Later
Old 08-10-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Timonator
I tried to repair mine by sanding it down and repainting it.The bubbles came right back plus it was oozing some stuff.Whatever GM used to glue it on is the problem.I resanded it just tonight and I'm going to try stripping off any of the factory urethane and sealing the bottom with primer or something.Maybe plastic repair.The bulletin says to paint the underside with epoxy primer.Has anyone sucessfully repaired one of these?
Since heat seems to make it bubble more, try putting some heat lamps on the raw sanded panel and see if it will ooze. Just keep the heat on it until it stops. I figure it can't keep oozing forever. Once it stops, maybe then it won't bubble anymore.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Launching!

The problem is the urethane they used is "attacking" the SMC from the bottom out.I ordered a new one.I tried to get a dealer to take care of it for me but they only offered to sand it down and repaint it.Which I know doesn't work and I can do myself.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by firebatbirdv8
I think the best thing to do is find the name and part number of the glue GM used on the 93-97 LT1 F-Body's as there was no problems with the sail panel or roof between these years and use that glue for the new sail panel or roof to be replaced.
HI Guys Still waiting on the info of the glue GM used on the LT1's someone must know as the glue is the root of the problem.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000ZNight
Hey, a while back I posted the official GM SB and I went to only 2 dealers and the first one just pissed me off and said they knew nothing about it. Well at this point I pulled out the GM SB and said what is this and he said uhh, so I said agine have you heard anything about this? Then I had his attention and he blew me a line that GM would never pay for that it's past the 3year/36,000 miles so I said you can call your DM for GM but this is up to the dealership to replace. His famous last words were he won't do anything for you. He called back about an hour later and said we will pay for half and I said like hell GM will eat this repair. The next dealer I went to were great they loved my car. Then they saw the roof and said that makes me sick.
Then he said take it to our body shop and tell them I said we will fix it and GM will get our back. I said what did you just say and he said what it's GM mistake, no charge to you. They have had my car 4 days I'm going Friday to pick my baby up. GM will pay for there f**k up you just have to find adealer that gives a **** about us and not just that old mighty dollar.
Later
Where are you located? Hell I may make the drive to that dealership.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Teching In

I have been thinking about this problem for some time now and I have finally decided to go to a GM dealer. I was expecting a big fight but everything went very smoothly. I showed the car to the service girl along with the service bulletin and she said she would call me back. One week after, I called back myself because I had no news from them. She said : Sorry, I forgot to call you back but would September 18th be ok for you ? I couldn't believe it. Well, I think that it is because I live in Quebec, Canada and there is not a lot of Camaro down here. I also think that having a very clean car helps a lot.

Anyway, Thanks a lot to everybody from this forum for having provided very useful info on this problem.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The first dealership i brought it to just asked for the vin# then said "Out of Warrenty" end of story wouldn't do anything to help me. That was DANNTIN CHEV. in Thibodaux Louisiana.They acted like they had never heard of the problem.Then i went to Trapp chev. in Houma they knew about the problem asked for my vin and said they were going to order the new panel just like that they didn't even ask the mileage or even look at the roof he said it's an ongoing problem and they would take care of it i did download the service bulitin and told him i had talked to the corprate office and they told me to bring a copy of the service bulitin to the dealership and have them look at it.I am the second owner of the car and it's a 99(out of 6yr warrenty) and has 98xxx miles on it .
Old 08-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Hey, got my car back it looks pimp. I live in Lafayette,IN it's new glue that is not heat sensetive. My roomate is about ready to take his down there. I dropped it off on Monday morning and they called me on Thursday to tell me it was done.
Later
Shake n bake
Remember if your not first your last!!
Old 08-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Hey 2000ZNight,

Could you give us more info on this new glue ? It might help us to solve this problem once and for all.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000ZNight
Hey, got my car back it looks pimp. I live in Lafayette,IN it's new glue that is not heat sensetive. My roomate is about ready to take his down there. I dropped it off on Monday morning and they called me on Thursday to tell me it was done.
Later
Shake n bake
Remember if your not first your last!!

Crap. That's a little far for me.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Launching!

I don't think it's the glue.The bulletin says to epoxy prime the bottom of the new piece.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Timonator
I don't think it's the glue.The bulletin says to epoxy prime the bottom of the new piece.
It'a already been determined that the glue they used on the LS1 cars will go through a chemical reaction and start to outgas as time goes by. Heat will speed up this chemical reaction.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:38 PM
11 Second Club

I took my car back to the dealer I bought the car from and had the service manager(sm) look at it, he left and came back with another guy (maybe gm) and that guy says "nice car" looks at SM and says......here's my favorite part.... "FIX IT".. Anyway I got my car back today and it looks great. I didnt mention the SB or act like I knew anything about it.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JasonWW
It'a already been determined that the glue they used on the LS1 cars will go through a chemical reaction and start to outgas as time goes by. Heat will speed up this chemical reaction.
I understand that but I'm saying in the service bulletin they say to epoxy prime the bottom of the old piece.I'm guessing that from99-02 GM probably wasn't coating the bottoms of the sail panels.Probably to save costs on materials.

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies