Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001somws.6
CONGRATS. Thats how it went for me. Your on the way to a new roof.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Isn't Scott Summers the name of Cyclops from the X-men? Anyways, I saw one bubble. Is it too late? TORCHD, where'd you go to get this done? We live sorta close to each other.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Gm ???!!!!

Well, i got the GREAT news from Scott Summers The dealership, GM district manager and Scott Summer ALL APPROVED MY CLAIM!!!!!!!!!

That was an easy battle LOL....

so i need to call the deleaership, jsut waiting for the confirmation on the body shop....

GM Customer Service > *
Old 05-23-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOOOOOOHOOOOOO

It is an uphill battle with GM to get this fixed but if your nice and talk to them about it and explane how much you take care of the car it will be done.

CONGRATS.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

I just left a message with Scott Summers, hopefully he can help me too.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2001somws.6
WOOOOOOHOOOOOO

It is an uphill battle with GM to get this fixed but if your nice and talk to them about it and explane how much you take care of the car it will be done.

CONGRATS.

hey thanks for your help.... Can not wait. talked with the service manager today, the sail panel and accessories are all on order.....

Old 05-24-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Repairs authorized

My car is scheduled for repair on June 4th. The body shop manager was real upfront with me telling me that he has never done one of these replacements. He was also very open to me providing him with any information regarding the repair. Is there a detailed repair report other than the service bulliten? Also, I would assume that the fiberglass panel is no longer available, only the polyurethane. If anyone has any useful information that I can provide my body shop including the proper part numbers, I would really appreciate it. I just hope they do not devalue my perfect SS by doing something drastically wrong and screwing something up.
Thanks...
Old 05-24-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ssPetess
My car is scheduled for repair on June 4th. The body shop manager was real upfront with me telling me that he has never done one of these replacements. He was also very open to me providing him with any information regarding the repair. Is there a detailed repair report other than the service bulliten? Also, I would assume that the fiberglass panel is no longer available, only the polyurethane. If anyone has any useful information that I can provide my body shop including the proper part numbers, I would really appreciate it. I just hope they do not devalue my perfect SS by doing something drastically wrong and screwing something up.
Thanks...

They have fiberglass AND urethane???
What were the applications? When did they change? I got an '01, was that polyurethane?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks...

dealerships can print out the whole TSB which gives some direction on what to do. i'm waiting to hear back from my dealership to take it in in July
Old 05-24-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

I have made my phone call to Scott today, left a VM, so hopfully he will call,,,i politly advised him in my message that if i didnt hear back, i would call again, as it seems you guys/gals that have had success with this had to make more than one call about it. Would it be helpful in my case (2nd owner) if i had names and case numbers of folks who got this done, so i can fight the "your the 2nd owner,, so no" response? I see some folks on here as far up as third owners getting this fixed...but i too am getting that this is only a TSB and they will not fix. I love my car,,and it makes me sick to my stomach when i see it,,,makes me sick when i see this thread on the main page,,,,ugh. I hope they can come through for me. Did you all advise that you were going to the BBB measures when discussing this with Scott? I don't wanna be rude and stuff,,but if there are others getting theirs fixed faor no cost,,,,i want some of that pie too. If anyone one here has no objections to giving me their names and case numbers,,,,,PLEASE Pm me with the info. I have a feeling that if i can prove that GM has fixed others with the case nubmers,,that it would be helpful. Thanx a milliion to you all for making this huge thread.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Thanks...
I hope they don't too. I had my sail panel done in April and the body shop managed to scratch the RR quarter panel somehow and then had to repaint it.
My car is silver so you can't tell at least.
The body shop with the butter-fingers is one that does all this particular dealer's (Courtesy, San Jose) work so they have done other sail panels before I'm pretty sure.
With the sail panel and the repaint they had my car for two weeks.

At least they didn't quibble about the sail panel (the service rep tried to play dumb but I quickly bypassed her and talked with the manager) and it's all done now.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Hey guys, I have an 01 with 44000 and I just took mine in today, it's doing it bad. They said no problem and put the parts on order
Ryan
Old 05-24-2007, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Water test that bitch as soon as you get it back. They put mine on wrong the 1st time and water poured in right behind the t tops and puddled in the rear seat footwells when I went to wash it.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
hey thanks for your help.... Can not wait. talked with the service manager today, the sail panel and accessories are all on order.....

Glad i was able to help.

Everyone that has this should never give up getting this fixed.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Teching In

I'm glad this thread was here. I am the second owner of an 02 SS with only 5000 miles on it. The local dealership just denied my top under warranty. The heat has made this problem apparent literally within the past week or so. It's a shame that all this back and forth is required between the dealer and GM to get it fixed. I too left a message today for Scott Summers. Thanks to all for keeping everyone apprised of each-other's situation.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just noticed my car starting to do this with some small bubbles on both sides of the panel.

I think I'm pretty much screwed though. The car is a 2001 and I'm the 2nd owner it has 58k miles on odo.

how much does the fix cost if it's not under warranty?
Old 05-25-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1BadAzzWS6
just noticed my car starting to do this with some small bubbles on both sides of the panel.

I think I'm pretty much screwed though. The car is a 2001 and I'm the 2nd owner it has 58k miles on odo.

mine is a 02 with 43K and i too am the second owener. Scott approved mine. Wating for the dealership to call me today to see if they got the parts in
Old 05-25-2007, 10:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1BadAzzWS6

Well if you had to pay full price for a new roof, then paint and labor I'm sure it would be upwards of 900 bones. Just print out the service bulliten and take it in to the dealer. I would just go in and be polite.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:47 AM
TECH Addict

no call back yet....
Old 05-29-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still no call back, and sent email to GM customer complaints department last Thursday citing TSB, claim number, the recently approved claims, and Scott Summers name.

Still no response, so if nothing in the next 10 days.......off to the Better Business Bureau, and DE Consumer Complaint dept.

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies