Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007 | 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

all my parts came in today. there are going to paint it for me (BLACK) then i am going to take my car there to get the sail put in.....
Old 05-29-2007 | 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't believe that Pontiac can be that stupid to think that approving reparations on some, while dissapproving others will set things right.

All they've managed to do is PO the people FIGHTING to get their own problems fixed. I can only surmise that they are evaluating on a "condition" basis. If it isn't too bad, NO, and if it is an eye-sorer, then YES.

Just GD ridiculous

DON'T GIVE UP my f-body comrades
Old 05-30-2007 | 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just to throw this out there, has anyone had theirs replaced anywhere near Pittsburgh?
Old 05-30-2007 | 04:26 PM
Teching In

UPDATE - on GM fixing my sail panel / paint bubbles. 8 months, start to finish.

I started my fight with GM back in Oct. 06'. Escalated it with 3 different advisors, then 2 dealerships, then found a righteous guy at a Cadillac Body Shop who introduced me to a District Manger - got the nod in mid Feb. that they would fix it ---- for $300. Took 2 more months for them to provide a loaner car - then they fixed it, but mounted it crooked. Left side gaps were perfect, right side I could fit my index finger knuckle into. Took pictures, spoke to my "new" friend - he agreed that it was botched. 2 months went by, with me calling once or twice a week to "schedule" the car - almost at the point that I was going to call serious BS - I got the loaner and off we went.

Picked it up last Friday - back on straight, but 1/8th inch too far back from t-tops. Urethane glue visible on paint at bottom of both sides (anyone know how to get this stuff off without destroying my paint?) My new friend was not there when I picked it up - so I pointed out all the obvious issues to a new guy - his response was that they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee - NO WAY - 50,000 sq. foot facility and they can't get a simple panel on straight? 3rd time is not the charm for me.

The new guy told me something interesting - after I told him what a PITA this was, he said that GM knows that most people give up after 3 attempts to find the solution - that if somebody keeps pressing it, they figure out a way to resolve it. Corporate policy? Not sure, but I counted over 12 attempts on my part. I am second owner with 50K on my WS6 - garage kept and Zainoed every weekend.

I dropped names of others that had the fix done - did not matter
I "fired" 2 advisors because they did not get the job done - did not matter
I took the car to 3 different places - supposedly talking to people of power - you guessed it -- DID NOT MATTER.

I will not be an advocate for GM's customer satisfaction -

This was by far the hardest thing I have ever tried to resolve with a major corporation. To say they don't care is an understatement. Buyer beware.
Old 06-01-2007 | 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, after a week now, you guessed right.......NO CALL BACK from anyone!

Maybe I'll do what my Uncle did, go directly to the TOP w/a rather uncomplimentary commentary of my f-body experience(s) and dissatisfaction toward the current approval policy. FYI, CNBC announced the other day that Pontiac is in trouble, and are seeking to eliminate those "DOGS"(including the GTO, which was mentioned) and get back to its "racing" roots of days long past.

One BIG class action lawsuit would help everyone in this situation, since Pontiac wants to exercise discretionary approval. I cannot see how this would hold up in court under the circumstances. What is GM's rationale behind this?

HE WHO BARKS THE LOUDEST? ---- BS
Old 06-06-2007 | 08:11 PM
Teching In

I too did not receive a call back but started with someone else at GM. This case agent told me that the agents can not accept direct calls to their phones, to initiate a case. The call has to be referred via proper channels. This is probably why Scott Summers is not calling back.

FWIW-When I mentioned that I was a loyal GM buyer, he asked me if I could provide him with the VINs of the cars I have owned. He said it would help my case. I have the window stickers from the last 10 cars (7 Camaros). Some may argue why that matters, but if it gets the top done and can help others who cares.
Old 06-06-2007 | 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

this all is crap.

i'm a second owner, and i also own 2 other gm cars. but they simply denied my claim and cited that i was the second owner and cannot prove how the car was cared for before i bought it.

the fact that this issue is a tsb instead of a recall just goes to show the complete lack of customer service today in amercia!

if this problem affected safety, gm would have issued a recall right away to avoid being sued, but since its "just" cosmetic, they don't care!!

guess this is my last gm, i'll stick with foriegn cars!!

tony
Old 06-06-2007 | 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm with you Tony, as much as I hate to say it, but GM/Pontiac obviously doesn't care, so I too am moving on to the so-called Rice.

I just cannot condone selective authorization(s) and I have been NICE on 3 occasions. NO MORE Mr. Niceguy
Old 06-06-2007 | 08:45 PM
11 Second Club

I have the worst sail pannel damage on my car than what I have seen on any other F-body, EVER! When I walk by one in a parking lot I check. Some have them and some don't. Mine is so bad, it looks like bird **** all over the pannel. I mean it is really bad! Point is, no matter how much like **** it looks, I know well enough that I would be waisting my time and breath fighting a dealership to get it fixed. I will just pay a body shop to fix it down the road when I have money for a custom paint job.
Old 06-06-2007 | 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ditto, and had to cancel my FAOA rally trip this year because of it......thanks Pontiac!

No sense taking a blemished car to a National Car Show, eh?

I'll just have to (a) trade the car in while the problem isn't too bad or (b) pay out-of-pocket to get it repaired down the road.
Old 06-07-2007 | 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by one2run
I have the worst sail pannel damage on my car than what I have seen on any other F-body, EVER! When I walk by one in a parking lot I check. Some have them and some don't. Mine is so bad, it looks like bird **** all over the pannel. I mean it is really bad! Point is, no matter how much like **** it looks, I know well enough that I would be waisting my time and breath fighting a dealership to get it fixed. I will just pay a body shop to fix it down the road when I have money for a custom paint job.

Might want to get the sail panel done seperately. At a pro shop it's going to cost about $1300 for them to order a new sail panel, rip the old one off, paint the new one and install it. I've checked.
Old 06-07-2007 | 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Might want to get the sail panel done seperately. At a pro shop it's going to cost about $1300 for them to order a new sail panel, rip the old one off, paint the new one and install it. I've checked.
I checked 3 diffenet shops round here, they were all anywhere between $800-$900.
Old 06-07-2007 | 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
I checked 3 diffenet shops round here, they were all anywhere between $800-$900.

Well crap, True Colors quoted me $1300?! What shops did you check with since I'm in the same area. Also did that $800-$900 include ordering the new sail panel?
Old 06-07-2007 | 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

Ourisman Chevrolet in Bowie was one, they have a bodyshop onsite. Had mine done at Severn Autobdy in Annapolis. Walker Pontiac had no bodyshop so they subletted thru Severn Autobody.
Old 06-11-2007 | 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ourisman Chevrolet in Bowie was one, they have a bodyshop onsite. Had mine done at Severn Autobdy in Annapolis. Walker Pontiac had no bodyshop so they subletted thru Severn Autobody.
Got ya, that was the G.M. price. I'll double check to find out why it's so much higher though. Really don't want a dealership touching my car or going through the hassle of even dealing with them.
Old 06-11-2007 | 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Got ya, that was the G.M. price. I'll double check to find out why it's so much higher though. Really don't want a dealership touching my car or going through the hassle of even dealing with them.
Actually Severn Autobody that actually did the work said they've done these before and that's what it costs.
Old 06-11-2007 | 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually Severn Autobody that actually did the work said they've done these before and that's what it costs.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Did they do a good job?
Old 06-11-2007 | 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Ya they did a good job. On a scale from 1-10, I'd say between 8 and 9. Couple of little things only I notice. Didn't complain cause it was free and looked 10 times better than before.
Old 06-21-2007 | 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

well i jsut finally dropped my car off today to get the sail panel replaced... Free of charge thanks to Scott Summers and GM
Old 06-21-2007 | 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
well i jsut finally dropped my car off today to get the sail panel replaced... Free of charge thanks to Scott Summers and GM
Thats awesome news.

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies