Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you need is the vin and the how many miles on the car. And how many years you had it and when you bought it. If you take your car to a dealership with a bodyshop already will make it easyer because they will know you there and will have some records of your sevice done to your car.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001somws.6
All you need is the vin and the how many miles on the car. And how many years you had it and when you bought it. If you take your car to a dealership with a bodyshop already will make it easyer because they will know you there and will have some records of your sevice done to your car.
Well, i left Scott a voice mail. No response yet. Ok i will get my VIN and i know how many miles are on the car. And yep i know how long i have had the car for. Great info. I realyl appreciate it.

I realyl hope that #1 it gets approved, #2 they paint the sail panle black b/c i bought black mirrors and #3 i hate leaving my car at dealers... espically with the cam....... i do not want the car beat on

Thanks again
Old 05-10-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

i talked to scott yesterday.

he said the same thing that the dealer did. "yeah we know its a problem, but since you are the second owner there is nothing we are willing to do."

screw gm!!

the guy even had the nerve to ask me if i was happy with his help.

what a crock!!

tony
Old 05-10-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

WOW that sucks. I spoke to him briefly. Seemed ok to me. Id try going through the BBB then. Thats how i got mine done. IM the 3rd owner of my car. That second owner remark is all BS. And miles dont matter unless there really high. A dealership needs to look at the car and makes the dicission if the car is worth fixing. The hard part is getting a GM rep to set up a date to go do it.

The next step you might want to contact scott settlemire. He can be found at camaroz28.com or z28.com. He is the man behind the f-body.

Tho i got mine done this is my last GM ever.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by vatechguy3
i talked to scott yesterday.

he said the same thing that the dealer did. "yeah we know its a problem, but since you are the second owner there is nothing we are willing to do."

screw gm!!

the guy even had the nerve to ask me if i was happy with his help.

what a crock!!

tony

FVCK!!!!! That means that i am going to have a problem too and i left Scott a VM today........

jsut greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat
Old 05-11-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Left Scott another message.. no response yet
Old 05-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Wats up everybody, just want to let u know im in contact With General Motors because of this bubbling problem. Every dealer that i go to with the exception of one has given me a load of crap. The problem with that one dealer is that they're a pontiac dealer and cant do any warranty on chevrolets. I hope that everybody that has this problem will call GM and hackle them until they will fix all of our cars. The number is 1-866-990-5600.
Like i said keep pounding it in their heads until they will fix this problem, that is wat im doing.

good luck
Old 05-11-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got mine fix at a chevy dealership.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is the letter i sent to the BBB. You may use it if you think it might help. Also change some of the info to your info.

To whom it may concern:

My name is **********. I have a ************. I purchased it on June 6, 2004 from Kissimmee Motors in Kissimmee, FL. I am writing in regards to a service request I submitted to you about the bubbling of the paint on my roof. This paint bubbling was alerted on a Service Bulletin that you released in 2003. I have contacted you by phone and was denied because I am not the original owner of the vehicle and I am beyond the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty. Of course I would be. I didn’t find the car until 2004 and by that point it already had almost 15,000 miles on it.

From the day that I got the car, I have kept it in immaculate condition. Washed it almost every week and have attended many car shows and won many trophies. I have never had an accident with the car, and my Carfax report reflects no previous damage or repairs. I am a regular on the many car enthusiasts forum boards and I have discovered that there are hundreds maybe thousands across the country that have had this issue. And yet many of their stories are like mine.

The service bulletin clearly states that the course of action is to replace the roof. The reason for this is due to the glue that was used for the roof. So in fact your corporation has used a material in these model cars that is now causing a defect in the paint. And the result is that many of these car owners are being turned down or made to pay for your defect to be repaired. I find that this is extremely unfair that we should have to pay for your mistake. We have bought your cars and enjoyed them...yet now we have to pay for something that isn’t our fault to make the car sound once again.

I am beyond your so called “warranty”. But if you issue a service bulletin for models that would clearly be beyond the warranty. What was your point? I have yet to see a 2002 Trans Am that isn’t beyond the 3 year or 36,000 warranty. That car would have to be rarely driven. I also reside in Florida, where you must drive EVERYWHERE to get where you need to be. My car is also a daily driver. So if course its not garaged and it is always used. According to my CarFax report, I am the 3rd owner of the car. I would have loved to get the car and be the first owner. However I reside in FL and the car was originally sold in GA. So the fact is that it shouldn’t matter if I was the 2nd or the 3rd owner. Your dealerships should replace the roof no questions asked.

The bubbles in the paint have just recently started to appear. And I have taken hundreds of pictures of my car throughout the time I have owned it. Regardless of the “warranty” or if I was the 1st owner or not, you should fix it. It was the error on your part that you used that particular glue. And you did release the Service Bulletin. Now its time to stand up for your mistake and replace the roofs of the corresponding Camaros, Trans Ams and Firebirds.

I have already alerted the Better Business Bureau, my local newspaper, my local news broadcast station, and a formal complaint with AutoSafety.org. I will make this issue known throughout the media until it is resolved. And if a class action lawsuit is what it will take, so be it. I love my car and I will not pay for something that was of no fault to me.

I expect a response to my request and the information to the closest Pontiac dealership that will carry out the repair and replacement of my roof.

Regards,
Old 05-11-2007, 08:55 PM
screamin chicken

Well I too told evryone that had the problem to call the same # yrs. ago, hate to say it but mine never got fix....
Old 05-11-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Left message w/Scott yesterday...voicemail w/return call within 24 hours!

My azzz! Still no response and the second hand-owner info is BS, since I know of (1) 10th Anniv Firehawk who had it repaired as the second owner.

Hmmm......say 10,000 work orders @ $1,000 a crack = $10 million dollars
Could it be a money issue?

It is more prevalent on black, but why punish us who keep our cars immaculate and well-protected (garage kept or carport) to preserve the finish. I would have been better off leaving it in the sun and heat, just to expose the problem?

Last edited by Firehawk526; 05-11-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Firehawk526
Left message w/Scott yesterday...voicemail w/return call within 24 hours!

My azzz! Still no response and the second hand-owner info is BS, since I know of (1) 10th Anniv Firehawk who had it repaired as the second owner.

Hmmm......say 10,000 work orders @ $1,000 a crack = $10 million dollars
Could it be a money issue?

It is more prevalent on black, but why punish us who keep our cars immaculate and well-protected (garage kept or carport) to preserve the finish. I would have been better off leaving it in the sun and heat, just to expose the problem?

LOL i agree with you. I have left Scott 2 messages and still no answer... And like you siad, my T/A is garages kept..

If Scott does not return my call, what now????
Old 05-12-2007, 06:33 AM
Teching In

If we all start calling GM and keep pounding this issue down their throats, the will fix this bulls**t problem. Maybe this should have been a recall instead of a bulliten because us second owners would not have to be fighting like we are right know. I say we should all just fight GM untill they get this fixed.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Teching In

Thanks 2001somws.6 i think i am going to contact BBB, maybe they can help me and antoher question I also live in the Orlando area, wat chevy dealer did u get your roof fixed at. But anyways thanks for the tip I will contact them this week.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BluemaroZ28
If we all start calling GM and keep pounding this issue down their throats, the will fix this bulls**t problem. Maybe this should have been a recall instead of a bulliten because us second owners would not have to be fighting like we are right know. I say we should all just fight GM untill they get this fixed.

problem??? What problem LOL... i can not even get a call back yet
Old 05-12-2007, 07:29 AM
screamin chicken

**** I am the Orginal owner of a 2000 WS6 and when I made a big deal about it I was out of warranty and only had 32,xxx miles on it, I actually just turned 34,xxx now so you can see that I rarely drive my car and it stays in a garage and GM, the BBB could not do a thing for me.Screw GM...........
Old 05-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
problem??? What problem LOL... i can not even get a call back yet

Im suppose to get a call back on monday from GM cause they said "they're going to do all they can to get this fixed for me". I want to see how true thats going to be.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BluemaroZ28
Im suppose to get a call back on monday from GM cause they said "they're going to do all they can to get this fixed for me". I want to see how true thats going to be.

well at least you spoke to someone???? I have left 3 VMs to Scott.... NO CALL BACK NO NOTHING
Old 05-14-2007, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cars a 98 with those lil bubbles is it possible to still get this fixed?
Old 05-15-2007, 08:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SwEeTWs6
My cars a 98 with those lil bubbles is it possible to still get this fixed?
no, sol

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies