Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well just thought i would give yall an update.
GM is gonna replace my sail,but i have to pay a 100.00 deductible
So i guess that better than nothing.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 00T\A
GM is gonna replace my sail,but i have to pay a 100.00 deductible
So i guess that better than nothing.
Duhhh. These guys would kill for that deal.
That's about 1900 bucks you don't have to spend. Be thankful.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I should share my experience.

I purchased my 02 Z28 hardtop in late May. It had 31kmi but also had a two year/24kmi bumper to bumper, no deductable, extended warranty.

It had many small bubbles on the roof in a couple areas so I brought it to the dealer and told them about the TSB. The next day they called me and said they had ordered a new roof panel and the work would be no charge to me.

It took a while for the panel to arrive and then even longer for the body shop to install. Those slow bastards! lol

Despite the extended warranty, the dealer told me that the roof panel replacement was covered under the original warranty, not the extended warranty.

If your car has bubbles on the roof, regardless of how many miles are on it, be persistant and demand that they repair it for free. Make phone calls to GM if necessary. This problem arrises from a factory defect and they are obligated to repair it for free IMO. If you meet resistance and they don't cooperate tell them you are getting a lawyer and I bet they cave in.

HTH
Old 08-26-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

I can tell you guys that the parts alone were $543.32.

PART #'S 010253596 panel, 010240161 applique, 010240165 applique

I don't have a number for the labor cost but it was a big job on my car, which is a hardtop.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

All i can say is that it is up to the dealer to replace it.
I got no help from GM what so ever.
The service mgr said he had to get approval from his boss who ever that is.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

00T\A im glad to hear things turned ok for you. Id love to pay $100 for the fix. Ive got the same exact situation...~51K miles. Im preparing a full phone call to GM regarding the defect and im putting my foot down
Old 09-01-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
00T\A im glad to hear things turned ok for you. Id love to pay $100 for the fix. Ive got the same exact situation...~51K miles. Im preparing a full phone call to GM regarding the defect and im putting my foot down
Thanks 007,also about a week after i talked to GM i received a phone call from them wanting to know what dealer i was talking with.
Come to find out GM had called my dealer to approve the work also with a 100.00 deductable.
So they are aware of the problem,you just have to push them a little i guess.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well picked up the car from my local dealer yesterday an to my suprise they did a very good job on the roof sail.
No more bubbles
Old 09-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Are you the original owner of the car Mike?
Old 09-10-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Innocent Criminal
Are you the original owner of the car Mike?
Yes i am.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Have most of the areas been small, like maybe a small chip, or larger than that? I just went out and looked at my Z and I found a couple of small ones and a couple of small bubbles. Problem is I'm at least the third owner and the car has 43k.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE:

I had a few small bubbles on my 1999 Z28 with 72,000 miles. I went to the Chevy dealership last week and talked to the shop manager. I asked him if GM could help me out in paying for the repair. He called up his regional manager, who denied me any financial assistance. Darrell(the shop supervisor), said that sometimes they will cover cars that are under 5 years old or 60,000 miles but out of warranty. I got a quote by a body shop they recommended, $880.

Right now I am going to school and I am enrolled in a Business Law class. My teacher is a lawyer. I'm going to ask her on Friday if we have much of a case against GM. If somebody gets a class action suit going, I'll jump right on board.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AronZ28
UPDATE:

I had a few small bubbles on my 1999 Z28 with 72,000 miles. I went to the Chevy dealership last week and talked to the shop manager. I asked him if GM could help me out in paying for the repair. He called up his regional manager, who denied me any financial assistance. Darrell(the shop supervisor), said that sometimes they will cover cars that are under 5 years old or 60,000 miles but out of warranty. I got a quote by a body shop they recommended, $880.

Right now I am going to school and I am enrolled in a Business Law class. My teacher is a lawyer. I'm going to ask her on Friday if we have much of a case against GM. If somebody gets a class action suit going, I'll jump right on board.

Call GM customer care an make a claim.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

I called and made two claims, one with GM and one with the actual Pontiac number... I had to repeatedly tell him about the TSB but he kept saying that there was nothing in the computer at all and he asked me where my sources were and when I told him online he just about said "well then we cant help you, people can make up anything" and befor he said have a nice day I just had to convince him so i said "dude why would someone fake a TSB? this is a real thing someone just scanned in, i KNOW it exists look harder!"
and then he said ok well ill call the local dealership to you and talk to the service advisor

i get a call back about an hour later him apologizing and saying "apparently the advisors wife has a firebird and it has the same problem right now and he knows there is a TSB for it too so he will get back to me in a few days and then ill contact you to have it looked at.

so i took it in today, the dealership reps were being ********, at least one that i was working with. he kept telling me that it wouldnt be covered and that im wasting my time, he kept saying that its NOT a recall all sarcastically and was really pissing me off so i went to another window and asked to talk to another service guy, then this guy comes out and looks at it and tells me that the regional guy and the main advisor are in a meeting and to bring it abck in an hour when they are done he would have them both look at it. i bring it back they look at it and voila they are ordering the parts right now, should be here by next monday then i will take my car to the body shop who will install it, the rep i was talking to first was really pissed off aparently about them covering this and he took my TSB, copied it then started reading it and then went into the office to try and convince them not to do it for some stupid reason, then he came back (guess they didnt want to reconsider fortunately) and he was telling me "this goes against EVERYTHINg ive ever been taught" and he was all pissy.. so I happily took my keys from him and say "SEEYA MONDAY!"

shortly after the body shop called me up to ask me if i could bring it by to check it out before hand, sounds like a nice guy so i told him that i have some other things i would like him to quote for me.

so WOW everything seems to work out great if you just push and talk to the guys higher up in the chain... i would seriously recommend everyone who is having trouble, call pontiac and file a claim, and call GM too, i have two people following up with me about this and its great, i knew i would have a much better chance...

you have to make sure that they know it exists because some of you may have been turned down because they dont even think its a problem that is the fault of Gm

oh and btw i am the third owner of the 2001 firebird with 55k miles on it, well out of warranty and not the original owner haha..

here is the number to pontiac, i asked him what he woudl recommend for you guys who still need help, he told me to jsut have you guys talk to the dealerships and push hard to talk to the managers and stuff to have it looked at also, try to get the regional service guy involved, call this number for pontiac cars
1-866-932-4368

good luck!! if anyone needs any help email me at darkecho@att.net and maybe i can provide proof that dealers are doing it for free!
Old 09-28-2005, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

That's some great info. So just basically get management to have a look at it and you should be all set. I'm out of warranty as well (only a month) and I'm the second owner with about 41K miles on her. This is great.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cant get mine repaired until late november when i return from school. but Like i said above i already talked with the service manager at my local dealer (carl black). His rude sarcastic remarks were pretty much the same, "out of warranty no can do sorry". Well see, ill post up as much info to help out georgia folks as i can, because I think once we find a dealer willing to work with us, were set.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

How about members from each region get together and go to one dealership. They can't decline us all. There is strength in numbers.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by darkecho
I called and made two claims, one with GM and one with the actual Pontiac number... I had to repeatedly tell him about the TSB but he kept saying that there was nothing in the computer at all and he asked me where my sources were and when I told him online he just about said "well then we cant help you, people can make up anything" and befor he said have a nice day I just had to convince him so i said "dude why would someone fake a TSB? this is a real thing someone just scanned in, i KNOW it exists look harder!"
and then he said ok well ill call the local dealership to you and talk to the service advisor

i get a call back about an hour later him apologizing and saying "apparently the advisors wife has a firebird and it has the same problem right now and he knows there is a TSB for it too so he will get back to me in a few days and then ill contact you to have it looked at.

so i took it in today, the dealership reps were being ********, at least one that i was working with. he kept telling me that it wouldnt be covered and that im wasting my time, he kept saying that its NOT a recall all sarcastically and was really pissing me off so i went to another window and asked to talk to another service guy, then this guy comes out and looks at it and tells me that the regional guy and the main advisor are in a meeting and to bring it abck in an hour when they are done he would have them both look at it. i bring it back they look at it and voila they are ordering the parts right now, should be here by next monday then i will take my car to the body shop who will install it, the rep i was talking to first was really pissed off aparently about them covering this and he took my TSB, copied it then started reading it and then went into the office to try and convince them not to do it for some stupid reason, then he came back (guess they didnt want to reconsider fortunately) and he was telling me "this goes against EVERYTHINg ive ever been taught" and he was all pissy.. so I happily took my keys from him and say "SEEYA MONDAY!"

shortly after the body shop called me up to ask me if i could bring it by to check it out before hand, sounds like a nice guy so i told him that i have some other things i would like him to quote for me.

so WOW everything seems to work out great if you just push and talk to the guys higher up in the chain... i would seriously recommend everyone who is having trouble, call pontiac and file a claim, and call GM too, i have two people following up with me about this and its great, i knew i would have a much better chance...

you have to make sure that they know it exists because some of you may have been turned down because they dont even think its a problem that is the fault of Gm

oh and btw i am the third owner of the 2001 firebird with 55k miles on it, well out of warranty and not the original owner haha..

here is the number to pontiac, i asked him what he woudl recommend for you guys who still need help, he told me to jsut have you guys talk to the dealerships and push hard to talk to the managers and stuff to have it looked at also, try to get the regional service guy involved, call this number for pontiac cars
1-866-932-4368

good luck!! if anyone needs any help email me at darkecho@att.net and maybe i can provide proof that dealers are doing it for free!

Way to go don't let GM stick it to ya.
Be a man about it an contact the right people an you will get results
Glad you got the problem taken care of.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Default roof panel (sail panel)

Hi everyone, i have a 99 t/a and live in the uk and i am being told by my dealer that the part is no longer available,my dealer said the part number comes up on the screen but no longer available and waiting for more info from gm in the usa. Is this true?.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by firebatbirdv8
Hi everyone, i have a 99 t/a and live in the uk and i am being told by my dealer that the part is no longer available,my dealer said the part number comes up on the screen but no longer available and waiting for more info from gm in the usa. Is this true?.
Well not sure about where u are at but just had mine replaced this month an the dealer Ernie Guzman here in Teaxs also had to order.
From Where i have no clue.
Keep pushing them.

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies