Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys if anybody in Indiana has had this done please let myself or StrippedSS know. We would like to know who and where and if you have any proof where GM payed for it all. If you do could you send myself or StrippedSS a copy. CashMoney I think I've seen you around Lafayette and at Burger King that is where our Car club hangs out.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After about 3 months of waiting, my roof panel was replaced and painted this past Wednesday free of charge.
If you are having any problems with getting the dealer to do anything for you, contact Pontiac. The Service Representative that helped me was Amanda. She got my dealership the clearance to do the work after a Rep came out and looked at it.
I'm so glad to now have an "non-bubbly" roof panel. Just put on a coat of Zaino today!

Good luck to all the others having to deal with this problem.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got a 99 z28 t-top with 80,000 miles and it has a few little bubbles on roof. I guess i am going to dealership soon any info that will help like GM phone # what rep you used?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

GM Needs to start doing the job right in the first place,as this is such a stupid mistake by changing to a different type of glue when there was nothing wrong with the glue they were already using on the 93-97 f-body's. If GM really cared about its quality of workmanship then this problem with the roof panel SHOULD BE A RECALL and start looking after it's customers because if this is the way they are going to keep treating there customers then they will go bankrupt. Also i am still waiting for my roof panel to be fixed here in the UK which has been about 3 months and still no joy.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BANDITCAR
After about 3 months of waiting, my roof panel was replaced and painted this past Wednesday free of charge.
If you are having any problems with getting the dealer to do anything for you, contact Pontiac. The Service Representative that helped me was Amanda. She got my dealership the clearance to do the work after a Rep came out and looked at it.
I'm so glad to now have an "non-bubbly" roof panel. Just put on a coat of Zaino today!

Good luck to all the others having to deal with this problem.
I called Pontiac over the summer & got nowhere.

They wanted to charge me to replace it since it's TSB, not a recall.

Last edited by ButchN; 11-29-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
A service bulletin is different than a recall . . .

Recall, GM must fix.

TSB, GM will only fix under warrantee . . . . (Techinical Service Bulletin)

Just FYI . . .
If this it true that is total bullshit...Cheated again...If I recall correctly there is also a TSB on our M6's popping out of gear, due to poorly designed shift fork and nylon pad issues, happening to cars with 5k miles on the clock, so what difference does it make if it is 5k or 80k if it happens and is a documented and known issue/problem, and is not from normal wear and tear. It should be addressed at no additional cost to the consumer. Just another reason GM is in the toilet.IMO if a company makes anything that is a manufacturer defect it should be replaced, bubbling paint, bending forks, Hatch release not springing the rear hatch etc..the list goes on and on. It shouldnt matter how many miles or years you have had the car.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any progress on a class action suit? I'm taking mine in this week. I made a call to the closest dealer to my house and he told me that since I was not the original owner they would not cover it. So I'm taking it to a dealer where I have bought a new car from to see if that helps. Hopefully the service rep I used to use is still there, he was fantastic. We'll see.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:14 AM
Teching In

My car is starting to look like trash... it seems like the bubbles are doubling every day!! I took it to a dealership last week and basically got the same BS most people are getting, the head repair guy said he had to get the district managers approval because it was out the 3/36 warranty. He was supposed to call me back the next day and still hasn't..time to raise hell

01 ss
24xx miles
Old 12-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

my roof is fine but i have oxidation on my fenders and i have buble/chips on the hood.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
Has anybody in southern California gone through this? If so I would like to know which dealer you went through, as I want to make sure that I get this handled.
I stopped by the dealership after work today, it appears the rep 'forgot' to call me . In any case, the repairs were approved and all of the parts were ordered. I'm in Huntington Beach...shoot me a pm and i'll set you up with the name and address of the dealership if you still need it.

car should go in next week
Old 12-06-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by otcurtsed
I stopped by the dealership after work today, it appears the rep 'forgot' to call me . In any case, the repairs were approved and all of the parts were ordered. I'm in Huntington Beach...shoot me a pm and i'll set you up with the name and address of the dealership if you still need it.

car should go in next week
Were you the original owner?
Old 12-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Nope, i'm the second owner on the car... I actually just bought it a few weeks ago. When he asked I told him i never take my cars to gm dealerships to get serviced lol Just make sure you know all of the info about it before you go in. At first he tried to deny the service bulletin completely, so i pulled out my printed copy, gave him the number, and said look it up... I would also bring a printed copy of the file that is on autosafety.org, as it may help to argue the 3/36 warranty.

Last edited by otcurtsed; 12-06-2005 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Mine is actually getting replaced on Thursday when I take it down to Indy. If your in Lafayette call the GM number and request that you get it fixed at a dealer in Indianapolis. When mine is fixed and if they do an outstanding job I'll let everone know who I got it fixed through..

Nate
Old 12-06-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had not checked this thread since the summer and boy was I surprised it was still going! It sounds like this is quite a large spread problem, more so than I ever thought it could be. Unfriggin believable how GM is giving the consumer the run around! BTW
I got mine fixed here about 1 month ago, ended up paying a 60/40 split (my cost $381). The car looks great and I'm about to wax/buff/seal it for the first time. My before photos are on page 4, once I get it completely detailed I'll post updated ones.

Needless to say I was quite unhappy having to pay 40% but it was better than 50% or 100%. The car FINALLY looks top notch......
Old 12-06-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

otcurtsed and hardcorebob as well as the successful others, what was your actual process? Did you email, then call, then approach the actual dealer? Im getting ready to initiate this myself, im considering calling first then emailing. What did you use to argue against the warranty (anything other than the autosafety stuff) and what did you say when they argued it being a service bulletin?

Once we get the steps down i think more will be able to have success.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Javenger- check my previous post from about page 4 onwards. Call GM customer service and bang around until you find a CSR that is worth a damn. Print all the service bulletin/recall/etc info from the first few pages of this thread as well. Then go have fun finding a dealership that will work with you. If you can find a service advisor that isn't a tard, you probably will have to just play the game until you/GM come to an agreement. Some get it 100% paid for, some like myself have to pay part of it, it all depends on what the District Service Manager decides upon. I never emailed anything to anyone at anytime. My arguement was that since problem could not have been avoided/was caused by the manufacturer and not by poor maintance, that GM is responsible for the repairs. Believe me, the dealership/GM knows all too well about this problem and it just depends on your luck on who you get to help you out. As far as it just being a service bulletin, that to me means that they know that a major problem exists and they can either be upfront and fix it or be dicks and send you on your way. You just have to find a dealership that values past GM customers and will go the extra mile to help you out if you are out of warranty/not the original owner. GL.....
Old 12-07-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

What hardcorebob said.
But be sure to call GM to get a claim #.
Then it's all about finding a dealer that will work with you.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I went in to the dealer that I have bought 2 cars from. Unfortunately, the service advisor I've gotten to know really and has always treated me great, had left early for the day. I gave them my VIN and a copy of the service bulletin. I got a call a day later telling me that my car was too old (2001) and too many miles (77,500). I told them the problem started at 50,000 miles. They told me to call 1-800-222-1020. So I'll go get my VIN and call them tomorrow. What a pain.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glenn, thats rediculous and i thought you would have more luck being a 2001. Hopefully you can fend off the "too many miles" that theyll spit out. hardcorebob and 00T/A thanks for the info, ill def use it. I had a dealer that actually approved the work for me months ago but they dont have a body shop. So they sent me to a carl black (the one that does blackbird editions down here in GA) and they then refused the repairs. Said the usual too many miles/too old. I threw the autosafety stuff in his face and he said he would have to call it in (and never did). I havent really persued it much since due to so many other things going on. Im going to Lou Sohb (pontiac, buick, GMC, isuzu) tomorrow and im going to speak with the service manager again, who approved it originally. We have bought 4 cars through them so far and plan on purchasing another one very soon, so they usually treat us well, and better for the sake of us making a purchase. I think i just need to avoid Carl Black, which is advice id say for all you georgians.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm on hold right now with the GM call center. This one is really good. Now they say there are NO service bulletins for my 2001 Camaro in their records. I gave them SB 03-08-98-001, plus doc ID 1283933 and the guy says those do not exist and someone must have made it up and posted it on the net. These people deserve to go out of business!!!! So what happened, did they erase the service bulletin from their records? I even mentioned the 1993 paint release letter from GM and still no response. So he put me on hold and is contacting the dealer. What a pain!

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies