Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went to Alldata.com. This service bulletin is not listed??? Did GM really try to pull a quick one???
Old 12-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Teching In

wow that is amazing!! i believe the TSB # i used was 03-08-98-001A, although I do not have it offhand. Maybe he is doing something wrong? I don't know that I can see them deleting it completely.. oh and Javenger to answer your question - I went straight to the dealership, never made a call to GM or anyone else. I guess i am one of the lucky ones
Old 12-08-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go to Alldata.com and that number is not listed. I also called the Service Advisor that I have known for years. He said he could pull up the service bulletin, for some reason the guy at the GM call center can not. I'm betting they are deleting the service bulletin to try and keep people from getting it done for free. So, the service advisor is going to try and help, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

SO WHAT'S TAKE TO START A CLASS ACTION SUIT????
Old 12-09-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

As far as I remember, the GM call center does not have access to service bulletins. Don't worry about that, deal with the dealership directly which will yield far greater results vs the call center.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

By call center are you refering to their customer service #? Or is the "call center" a different place? Unbelievable if they pulled/deleted the bulletin. Your talkin major lawsuit here. This thread needs to be backed up and used as evidence. GM is just lucky they haven't truely pissed off the wrong guy yet (IE a knowledgable lawyer capable of filing suit)
Old 12-09-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
By call center are you refering to their customer service #? Or is the "call center" a different place? Unbelievable if they pulled/deleted the bulletin. Your talkin major lawsuit here. This thread needs to be backed up and used as evidence. GM is just lucky they haven't truely pissed off the wrong guy yet (IE a knowledgable lawyer capable of filing suit)
Yes, the call center is the 1-800-222-1020 customer service number. The guy stated he could look up service bulletins and said he didn't show anything on my car. Now that I think about it, he must not be very bright. He said there were zero service bulletins on my car and there are at least 20. But the confusing thing is I could not find the roof TSB on Alldata.com.

The bad news about getting an attorney pissed is that they all drive Mercedes or BMW's. I can't think of one attorney that drives a Camaro. So what do we have to do to start a Class Action Suit?
Old 12-09-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

I have a the same problem with my car, problem is unbeknown to me was that my car has bee re-painted, so the pretty much told me to fck off because theres noway to prove the bubbles aren't from the second paint job, but what bugs the hell out of me is you can see the glue starting to bubble out in 2 spots
Old 12-09-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

If someone can get me all the information on it bulleteins etc. Then I will talk to my brother and sister about doing some kind of legal action. My brother works for a big firm that does corporate litigation. His company may represent GM though, my sister on the other hand, she could do it.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HOSS
If someone can get me all the information on it bulleteins etc. Then I will talk to my brother and sister about doing some kind of legal action. My brother works for a big firm that does corporate litigation. His company may represent GM though, my sister on the other hand, she could do it.
Service Bulletin 03-08-98-001A
Doc ID 1283933

You can also get info on the 80's/90's GM paint fiasco on www.autosafety.org/autodefects/GM-Paint.htm
Old 12-10-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

does anyone have these on a pdf file??
Old 12-10-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HOSS
does anyone have these on a pdf file??
Just go to the first few pages of this thread, the pdf for the service bulletin is on the first page and the autosafety web address is on the third or fourth.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

has any one in western pa gotten this fixed and if so where at?
Old 12-11-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glennhl
Now they say there are NO service bulletins for my 2001 Camaro in their records. I gave them SB 03-08-98-001, plus doc ID 1283933 and the guy says those do not exist and someone must have made it up and posted it on the net.
I tried both local Chevy dealerships and they told me the same thing. They said if my car was still under warranty I could have it fixed under the 3/36K or if it wasnt then pay for it out right but said there wasnt a TSB on it. I showed the above info as well but no luck.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just thought I would post an update. I called Chevy's hotline at 800-222-1020 and no love. They stated GM does NOT have any warranty on the paint of ANY vehicle.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LETHL_SS
Just thought I would post an update. I called Chevy's hotline at 800-222-1020 and no love. They stated GM does NOT have any warranty on the paint of ANY vehicle.
You have to make very clear to them that this is not a paint issue.
The problem is the glue under the sail panel.
I actually had to get a little loud with them,They would keep refering back to paint
But you really need to lean on the dealer to get this problem resolved.
Try several dealers if needed.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00T\A
You have to make very clear to them that this is not a paint issue.
The problem is the glue under the sail panel.
I actually had to get a little loud with them,They would keep refering back to paint
But you really need to lean on the dealer to get this problem resolved.
Try several dealers if needed.
I was telling them that but they kept saying its still paint related. I tried both local dealerships but will try some others in the area and see what they say.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

Here is the info the dealer will have....

Bubbles in the Paint Around the Perimeter of the Roof (Replace Roof) #03-08-98-001A - (Apr 2, 2003)
Bubbles in the Paint Around the Perimeter of the Roof (Replace Roof)
1999-2002 Chevrolet Camaro

1999-2002 Pontiac Firebird

This bulletin is being revised to correct a part number in the Parts Information section. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-98-001 (Section 08-Body and Accessories)

Implementation of this service bulletin by "GM of Canada" dealers requires prior District Service Manager approval.

Condition
Some customers may comment that there are bubbles in the paint around the perimeter of the roof.

Correction
Replace the outer roof panel with a new roof panel following the procedure below: (shows a useless picture)

The following are all the steps involved in fixing the issue

Clean the bottom of the panel with Naptha, then scuff the bottom and clean with Naptha again.
Paint and clearcoat the top of the panel. Refer to GM 4901M-2003 Refinish Approved Refinish Booklet, GM 4901 M-D-2003 (English) or 4901 M-D-F2003 (French).
Paint the bottom of the roof panel with an epoxy primer. Refer to GM 4901M-2003 Refinish Approved Refinish Booklet, GM 4901 M-D-2003 (English) or 4901 M-D-F2003 (French).
Remove the weatherstrip and the run channel retainer on the "B" pillar prior to removing the roof tape off or protect the back light reveal molding.
Use the wire method to cut the urethane around the perimeter of the roof. Refer to the above illustration for urethane location.
Remove any excess but not all of the urethane from the body.
Apply primer 76 mm (3 in) around the perimeter to the roof panel.
V cut the urethane tube and apply a 19 mm (3/4 in) high bead around the perimeter of the roof and the three dots across the back.
Install new applique to the roof.
Install the weatherstrip and the run channel retainer on the "B" pillar.

Hard Top Vehicles

Clean the bottom of the panel with Naptha, then scuff the bottom and clean with Naptha again.
Paint and clearcoat the top of the panel. Refer to GM 4901M-2003 Refinish Approved Refinish Booklet, GM 4901 M-D-2003 (English) or 4901 M-D-F2003 (French).
Paint the bottom of the roof panel with an epoxy primer. Refer to GM 4901M-2003 Refinish Approved Refinish Booklet, GM 4901 M-D-2003 (English) or 4901 M-D-F2003 (French).
Remove the weatherstrip and the run channel retainer on the "B" pillar and roof.
Notice: In steps five and six, be careful not to cut too deep or damage may occur to the head liner.

Cut through the roof from the front (at the windshield) to the rear (rear hatch opening).
Make a second cut starting at the upper rear corner of the door glass opening across the car.

Pull back or peel the roof or cut the urethane. Refer to the illustration above for urethane location.
Remove any excess but not all of the urethane from the body.
Apply primer 76 mm (3 in) around the perimeter to the roof panel
If the windshield molding was damaged during removal, replace it before the next step.
V cut the urethane tube and apply a 19 mm (3/4 in) high bead around the perimeter of the roof and the three dots across the back.
With an assistant, slide the front panel under the windshield molding and lay down the rear.
Press down on the roof and make sure the top is even, side to side at the "C" Pillar.
Install the weatherstrip and the run channel retainer on the "B" pillar and roof.

Part Number
Description

Panel (Hard Top)

Panel (T-Top)

Applique Quarter Panel Upper Right

Applique Quarter Panel Upper Left

You're all welcome
Old 12-12-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RaRe99SS
Here is the info the dealer will have....

You're all welcome

Yeah we have had that info for quite a while.... finding a dealer that will do it is the issue.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

personal update for me:

i went to a dealer about an hour away. They had their own collision center next door and after showing them a handful of info (TSB, autosafety, plus a few of my own persuasive notes), they scheduled to take me in on tuesday (yesterday). They screwed up a little and ran out of the special primer but they did finish this evening (about 2 hours ago). I wont be able to pick up until the morning. When I do, Ill let everyone know how it went.

I never used GMs customer service line, or email or any of that. My process simply involved finding a reasonable dealership willing to listen. Goodluck to the rest of you and lets keep this one alive.

on a side note, this fix didnt cost me a dime (knock on wood), so hopefully itll stay that way. Well see tomorrow. According to the dealer and i quote them on this "No charge to you sir, GM covered it under warranty". Yes, and they do know that my car has 50+K miles
Old 12-21-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
personal update for me:

i went to a dealer about an hour away. They had their own collision center next door and after showing them a handful of info (TSB, autosafety, plus a few of my own persuasive notes), they scheduled to take me in on tuesday (yesterday). They screwed up a little and ran out of the special primer but they did finish this evening (about 2 hours ago). I wont be able to pick up until the morning. When I do, Ill let everyone know how it went.

I never used GMs customer service line, or email or any of that. My process simply involved finding a reasonable dealership willing to listen. Goodluck to the rest of you and lets keep this one alive.

on a side note, this fix didnt cost me a dime (knock on wood), so hopefully itll stay that way. Well see tomorrow. According to the dealer and i quote them on this "No charge to you sir, GM covered it under warranty". Yes, and they do know that my car has 50+K miles

Glad your worked out.... there isnt a dealership within 2 hrs from me willing to do it

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies