Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey splitplug, I went to Maroone Chevy in Pembroke Pines with service bulletin in hand they are aware of the problem but will not repair out of warrenty. Service bulletin just a few pages explaining steps to repair w/ part numbers. They are happy to repair if you want to pay, about $1200.00. Gona try the BBB route.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

how do you remove the sail anyway. i just need to fix a qtr panel. how the hell do you remove this with the (wire method) as gm says.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pyronotic138
how do you remove the sail anyway. i just need to fix a qtr panel. how the hell do you remove this with the (wire method) as gm says.
It's glued on so it has to be cut off. I'm guessing they take a wire saw and run it under the edges and pull it back and forth to saw through it. Some folks just rip it off. Maybe someone else will chime in with more details. I have a few pics of it partially removed that I'll post later.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

ya any help is extreemely appriciated. i am planning on taking it off this weekend if there is anyone that can pitch a few hints in
Old 03-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Launching!

All I know is that removing it creates an unbelievable mess.

My dealer replaced mine out of warranty as the local GM rep authorized the repair.

When I picked up the car there was fiberglass dust everywhere. It was coming out of the vents for a week or so. A really fine white powder almost like drywall dust so I imagine the removal is a real PITA
Old 03-02-2007, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealership has no bodyshop. They sublet their body issues thru a local bodyshop. My repair came out good. No issues (dust or otherwise).
Old 03-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by beaSSt
All I know is that removing it creates an unbelievable mess.

My dealer replaced mine out of warranty as the local GM rep authorized the repair.

When I picked up the car there was fiberglass dust everywhere. It was coming out of the vents for a week or so. A really fine white powder almost like drywall dust so I imagine the removal is a real PITA
It shouldn't have been a mess like that.To remove it it should be cut off like a peice of glass,with a wire,in one piece.If I picked up my car from a shop and there was fiberglass dust in the ventilation system I would raise ungodly hell.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

i got this wire from a glass place in town its about 18 gauge or so. i didnt know if thats the reason its being such a bitch is that wire too thick. i got told to use piano wire but i didnt know how this it is. the wire i am using is actually about the thickness of a dime. is that too thick or what. i didnt know. my shop in town gave me a printout how to remove it. but thats the only problems i am having is that ******* sail. please help
Old 03-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Launching!

i got this wire from a glass place in town its about 18 gauge or so. i didnt know if thats the reason its being such a bitch is that wire too thick. i got told to use piano wire but i didnt know how this it is. the wire i am using is actually about the thickness of a dime. is that too thick or what. i didnt know. my shop in town gave me a printout how to remove it. but thats the only problems i am having is that ******* sail. please help
That's the wire to use.Yes it's a bitch.Try putting a vise grip on each end,and be careful not to cut the moldingon your back glass.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:34 AM
TECH Regular

well after i got denied at the dealer due to not being the first owner, i tried GM corporate. got denied there too. they said since the car is out of the factory warranty, they aren't going to pay for anything, regardless if i was the first owner or not.

how are you guys getting this fixed???

thanks
tony
Old 03-03-2007, 10:38 AM
12 Second Club

tony, whats up man i think your the one who messaged me correct? i was wondering who you spoke with at gm.i have a name and number i cant recall if i gave you his name number and extension, for the guy who helped me do everything after being denied from the dealership. hes a good guy seems to be but he made sure they kept on their toes about my case and said "he wanted to get this claim taken care of for me, and i was supposed to let him know if i needed anyhting or have any problems". let me know if you are interested maybe itl be of help.

on a better subject, after over a month of bullshit, the B/S manager called me yesterday morningto let me know the new roof panel is in and they will begin painiting it so its ready for my car wheneveri can bring it in.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

yes, you did message me
i talked to the guy and you told me about, and he acted like he had never heard of any problem with the sail panel. he was no help at all!!
i even spoke with his supervisor, but all she would say was "we are not responsible".

tony
Old 03-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vatechguy3
yes, you did message me
i talked to the guy and you told me about, and he acted like he had never heard of any problem with the sail panel. he was no help at all!!
i even spoke with his supervisor, but all she would say was "we are not responsible".

tony
Did you call this Scott Summers guy? Or are you just dealing with your regional people?
Old 03-03-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

no, i called the guy 6zpeed pm'd me about.

i will try scott summers monday.

tony
Old 03-03-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

i tried to get it off like you were saying and i think i am just going to ******* plasma cut it right under the saiil and weld it and use a dire grinder to fix it up
Old 03-04-2007, 07:57 AM
Launching!

i tried to get it off like you were saying and i think i am just going to ******* plasma cut it right under the saiil and weld it and use a dire grinder to fix it up
How far have you gotten?Just be patient and take breaks if you need to.I defintley would stay away from the plasma cutter.As a last resort you could call a glass guy to cut it off for you.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:56 PM
12 Second Club

thats weird how he was so nice to me on the phone and everything and just blew you off acting like he never heard of it before. messed up.well, sorry man ive got for you to try
Old 03-04-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

thats ok
he probably got in trouble for actually helping some one!! you know his job is to deny claims, not get them paid for!!

tony
Old 03-13-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Any new updates? I took the cover off my car and the bubbles are 100x worse then when the car went into storage!
Old 03-16-2007, 06:46 PM
12 Second Club

true true. update here. my car was just finished and is ready for pick up, the hardtop roof came off in one peice w.o cracks even! and yes i asked to see it and i did. new paint and roof job looks decent and is on straight im much ahppier now except for the fact we have 4 inches of snow and i cant bring her home

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies