Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Zpeed
true true. update here. my car was just finished and is ready for pick up, the hardtop roof came off in one peice w.o cracks even! and yes i asked to see it and i did. new paint and roof job looks decent and is on straight im much ahppier now except for the fact we have 4 inches of snow and i cant bring her home
All covered by GM?
Old 03-17-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Zpeed
true true. update here. my car was just finished and is ready for pick up, the hardtop roof came off in one peice w.o cracks even! and yes i asked to see it and i did. new paint and roof job looks decent and is on straight im much ahppier now except for the fact we have 4 inches of snow and i cant bring her home
Good to hear that...well except for the snow! I'm going to have mine looked at in a few weeks.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man, I wish I wasn't SOL with my car, being i'm the third owner with a mysterious undocumented repaint.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:05 PM
12 Second Club

I'm the second owner of my car. 2001 Z28 with 78,XXX miles on it. Anyone think they will fix my jacked up roof?
Old 03-25-2007, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardswb
I'm the second owner of my car. 2001 Z28 with 78,XXX miles on it. Anyone think they will fix my jacked up roof?
Sure. If you pay them $850.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

my roof is getting worse and worse every time i look at it my dealer wont fix it and the rep refused to even look at it. cant there be a class action law suit and force gm to fix them? i think just about half the people on here have this problem.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Launching!

Wow, this thread is still kickin.

If anyone in the SoCal area is looking for a dealer to do this, see page 12 post #224 of this thread. They did mine out of warranty.

Good luck...

Last edited by lowprofile; 04-08-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well my 02 Z28 with 29K Miles started bubbling up on the sail panel, I guess Ill see this week if I can get a dealer to fix this at no cost. This should be interesting.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Default Sail Panel. Done!

I picked up my car this morning.
The dealer, Courtesy Chevrolet in San Jose, replaced the sail panel for nothing under the SB 03-08-98-001A. The procedure took a week.

My car is a 2002 SS with 31,500 miles on it and I have a 7 year / 50k extended warranty. I don't think that made any difference though because the service manager said the warranty doesn't cover paint.
This car is completely original including battery, wiper blades, tires, etc and is like brand new. That may have helped convince them to re-do the sail panel.

The only problem? The body shop scratched the RR quarter panel somehow and had to repaint it (silver). The body shop is the only one in this area GM authorized to re-paint Z06's (special process) according to the dealer so at least the repaint of a simple Camaro should be OK.
This all took an extra week so I tried to get the dealer to pay for the 30k service (as compensation for my inconvenience). But the service manager told me the sail panel deal was 'a favor' already and wouldn't go for it.
I did talk him into trying to get the body shop to pay but I doubt I'll hear any more about it.

At least they did the sail panel which was just beginning to bubble faintly. To be honest, I was kinda surprised they went for it, so I'm happy.

Good luck to all of you who try to get this SB done. Try different dealers if necessary. Make sure your car is spotless when you take it in.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by warpwr
The dealer, Courtesy Chevrolet in San Jose, replaced the sail panel for nothing under the SB 03-08-98-001A. The procedure took a week.

My car is a 2002 SS with 31,500 miles on it and I have a 7 year / 50k extended warranty. I don't think that made any difference though because the service manager said the warranty doesn't cover paint.
This car is completely original including battery, wiper blades, tires, etc and is like brand new. That may have helped convince them to re-do the sail panel.

The only problem? The body shop scratched the RR quarter panel somehow and had to repaint it (silver). The body shop is the only one in this area GM authorized to re-paint Z06's (special process) according to the dealer so at least the repaint of a simple Camaro should be OK.
This all took an extra week so I tried to get the dealer to pay for the 30k service (as compensation for my inconvenience). But the service manager told me the sail panel deal was 'a favor' already and wouldn't go for it.
I did talk him into trying to get the body shop to pay but I doubt I'll hear any more about it.

At least they did the sail panel which was just beginning to bubble faintly. To be honest, I was kinda surprised they went for it, so I'm happy.

Good luck to all of you who try to get this SB done. Try different dealers if necessary. Make sure your car is spotless when you take it in.

Congrats you were a good candidate for the fix.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by warpwr

thats crazy im also in san jose and just noticed this thread. so they didnt give you any hassle?thanks
Old 04-12-2007, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

I have it from my drivers side to the passengers side. If its a recall do you have to get it replaced at the stealership or can you go to a bodyshop you trust?

Last edited by JayBirdWs6; 04-12-2007 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

This isn't a recall. Didn't you read all 431 post's?

Old 04-12-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JasonWW
This isn't a recall. Didn't you read all 431 post's?

I didnt . I guess I wasnt reading the fine print.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

Anyways what would the sail panel cost me from gmpartsdirect (part#)? I wont be going to the dealer, I'll just have my friends bodyshop do it.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

There was a Technical Service Bulletin issued. It's no guarantee they will fix it for you. The glue they used outgases over time and creates the bubbles. This is considered a defect. Or in this case a latent defect as it takes several years to surface. Now, latent defects are supposed to be covered under the lemon law or something like that.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JayBirdWs6
Anyways what would the sail panel cost me from gmpartsdirect (part#)? I wont be going to the dealer, I'll just have my friends bodyshop do it.
GM Parts Direct sells them for $325 or you can find them on ebay for about $200.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

oh ok thank you
Old 04-12-2007, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

I have been dealing with this crap for months,,,, finally filed a complaint with the BBB,,,, GM calls me and tries to bully me into dropping the complaint,,, saying I cannot file a lemon law complaint since it was a 2000 (too old), I told them I was filing a complaint because they released a TSB saying it would happen..... AFTER over half the cars bumper to bumper had expired,,,, GM said they have never heard of this problem!!!,, GM Called me back 2 weeks later and said take it to the dealer,,, dealer ordered all the items, getting it fixed next weekend, GM is paying for it.... I am also the 2nd owner.... So if they blow you off, go to the BBB website and file a complaint,, it gets there attention pretty quick.....
Old 04-17-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

I went by the dealership on the way home, as I just found this thread, walked in the door with the TSB in hand. Handed it to the lady there and she looked at one of the tech and said remember this, and showed him the TSB. He said yeah. She looked at me and asked when could I bring it in to have it done.

No mileage questions or nothing.

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies