Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I called GM t'nite and they basically told me i was SOL.... They gave me that there has never been any service bullitin or recall on my car. And if there had been either that it would of been mailed to me although the first guy i talked to said that service bullitin's are for dearler eyes only. And then they argued that GM has absolutly NO PAINT warranty what so ever. What a crock of bullshit. Although my dad swung by the dealership today for me and took the service bulletin with him and the guy said that millage isn't an issue but i'm past the 6 years b/c my car is a 2000. But he told him to have me bring the car by and let him take a look and he'll see if there's anything he can do. So i'm gonna hope for the best but expect the worst. The only thing that might get me is i painted it about a year ago b/c of the bubles. Didn't think nothing of them but figured i'd sand them out and paint it again.. yeah right came back about 6 months later. Then it came up the other nite in convo with a couple of friends that one of their cars was having the same problem. Her's is an 02. So maybe she'll have better luck than me so far. But after it's all said and done i'm sending GM a very not so nice letter about all of this. Including copies of the service bulliten both print out's from the center for auto saftey.org. and maybe a copy of this whole thread. Don't understand why some have no problems and others like myself do on getting it fixed. So i'm gonna go by t'morrow on my lunch break from work and see what happens. Maybe at the least i can talk them into buying the kit and i'll put it on as i work in a body shop.

I think what we need is to get a list going of who's gotten approval to get their's fixed and who got denied. With names, car's, years, millage and Vin's and when they did get it fixed if they did. That way we can show GM why did these guys get there's done and not me (us)? If anyone one wants to do it they can send me the info and i'll compile it all into a list and make it availble to anyone who wants it.

and if i get denied t'morrow as it's looking like i will..... i'm all for a law suit.

Last edited by StylinZ; 08-20-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

I had trouble with the service manager in fixing mine and knowing it had no type of warranty even corrosion was expired. Called GM friday, and by today they called and said its approved to bring the car in or wait till the part comes in. Now I hope my sunuco hood comes in on time to have it painted there also.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, denied, but I haven't written GM, ONLY Pontiac! I'm not thru w/them yet!

Goodwill program my AZZ......it should be EVERYONE OR NO ONE IMHO. Based on the responses I've read, and the list of approvals, I am almost certain this is occuring @ the dealership/Pontiac area rep level. If they deny, then you have no appeal process w/Pontiac. Just plain SOL!

If is only a matter of time before enough people file complaints w/consumer affairs, BBB, and other organizations that lobby against these discriminatory practices.

Regardless, whether you have only a few bubbles, or a FUBAR'd sail panel, they should all be treated the same.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Well went in today and the guy looked at it. Said yup there's definatly a problem with the roof. But you have 83k miles and the warranty for this kinda thing runs out at 60k. Said he'd talk to his division manager anyway and try to see what he could do. Even if he did get approval he said he wouldn't put a new roof on it. Just sand it down and repaint it though. Didn't care what the TSB said.

well he called back and said nope can't do it.... So i'm going to write GM a nice lil letter and tell them they can have their cars that i'll never buy another one from them again..... Guess i'll buy a new challanger instead of a new camaro

Last edited by StylinZ; 08-21-2007 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh I hope my 98 doesn't have this issue. Maybe it did tho and the previous owner fixed it already. I sure hope so.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

ive been officially denied by the dealership, now its time to try gm.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, so today i called the customer assistance line with GM 1800 222 1020. They got all of my information and opened up case 71-550-545-941 after I explained the problem. The put me in touch wiht Chad Penton at 1-866-790-5600 ext 11955 and he took the number on the bulliten and the description of the problem. Unbelieveably, he went back to the so called experienced service manager at the dealership and asked them if they had seen the problem before, and of course this guy said no. Chad told me at first that this bulliten must not be a GM bulliten and must just be from a private shop or something of that nature, and GM is not aware of the problem. Looks like gm customer assistance got me nowhere. Case 71-550-545-941 officially closed.

If anyone would like to call Chad tonight or next week, and let him know about your problem as well, that would be nice.

Has anyone ever called this 1800 222 1020 number and actually got their problem fixed? If so, do you still have a case number that we poor fools could use as a reference when we call in?

I need the number to the BBB.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Teching In

The reason the US Customer Service is not aware of the TSB is because it is apparently a Canadian TSB. It only makes sense because the cars were built in Canada. Why don't the customer service agents know this? Why does one agent know about the problem (Scott Summers from earlier posts) and others do not?
Old 08-24-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

Got denied from my dealership. Quick quote: "It's not a recall. It's a service bulletin for us. So you're not covered by it." Calling GM itself yields similar results. I get in touch with some Indian guy (kwik-e, not plains) who can barely pronounce 95% of english words. Corporate is telling me to have it inspected by my dealership who in turn says I need to get authorization from corporate. Argh! Typical run around. And the saddest part is I would be happy to have a sail panel that looked like the ones in the pictures on the previous pages. While they have up to six bubbles, I have a dozen or more Although I've noticed regular waxing seems to be hindering the infectious spread.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Mines being repaired at No charge and they also gave me a Loaner for the inconvenience, had trouble with service manager getting it approved until I called GM ( the number from the owners manuel ) and everything came together. I think the reason they approved mine was when they ask how many vehicles I own (GM).

Last edited by jonssz28; 08-28-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

which number did you call?

do you have a case number or a rep you talked to? maybe you can help some of us other guys out. we own 3 gm vehicles, 2 of which are fbodys.

my fiance was talking about a vette, and i was thinking about the new camaro when they come out. this has me so angry, i think some of those plans may be changing.

Last edited by Loochy88; 08-28-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:27 AM
On The Tree

what gm number is everyone calling? who are you guys speaking with also. that way i can say i know of a few guys that spoke to him/her and got theirs repaired for little or no charge. thanks
Old 08-29-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

i just posted the number i called and the person i talked to. i wish that someone who managed to get theirs fixed would post the people they talked to...
Old 08-30-2007, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Here you go....this is the only person I spoke to, after talking to the service rep who pretended she didn't know anything about this defect.......

Tully Williams - Service Director
Courtesy Chevrolet - San Jose
twilliams@courtesychevrolet.com
(408) 260-6242
He had the work done for me. My car is an '02 SS with 30k on the clock at the time.

Other numbers that I had but didn't use ......

1-800-222-1020 (don't know what it is for)
and.....
Scott Summers 866-790-5700 x22482, some big cheese at GM.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car is definitely out of it's factory warranty, it's a Y2K with 88K miles on it.

I don't really mind paying to have this work done...I'm just curious if anyone knows what to expect the official GM cost to be?
Old 09-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
My car is definitely out of it's factory warranty, it's a Y2K with 88K miles on it.

I don't really mind paying to have this work done...I'm just curious if anyone knows what to expect the official GM cost to be?
My car was built in 07/02, has 38,000 and I got denied the warranty.
They gave me a price of $840 to replace it.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Loochy88

do you have a case number or a rep you talked to? maybe you can help some of us other guys out. we own 3 gm vehicles, 2 of which are fbodys.

my fiance was talking about a vette, and i was thinking about the new camaro when they come out. this has me so angry, i think some of those plans may be changing.

I agree.. i've started thinking about a challanger instead
Old 09-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Set
Staging Lane

Just noticed one bubble last month and another this month. Had no idea what it was until i stumbled on this thread by accident just now. I'm glad i did but kinda mad that i did cuz i'm sure i won't be able to get it fixed with out some money out of my pocket..that i don't really got.. I got a 2001 with 60K on the clock. I'm gonna go and talk to the service dept at the local gm dealers here and see what happens. Not expecting much...
Old 09-06-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

i need to take a baseball bat to my roof and claim it on my insurance. it would be alot easier than tryin to have GM fix it. ****** GM sucks!!!!!
Old 09-07-2007, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Loochy88

I don't know all the details.... but VETTES are having roof recalls as well

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies