Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

File with the better business or sue them, thats where I am at now.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

+1 on the law suit. I'm trying to get a court date on 12-31-07(monday) at 8 a.m. Let's see if they'll actually show up!
Old 11-07-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brundz
hey 2001somws6...i'm about 45 mins from kissimee looking for a dealership that will fix this problem. the local one blew me off! was coggin pretty cool about the whole situation and do u think its worth my trip out there to see if they'll fix mine?
Yeah they were cool. Id give them a call first tho. They were also working on another f-body while i was there for the samething.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OreoLt1
+1 on the law suit. I'm trying to get a court date on 12-31-07(monday) at 8 a.m. Let's see if they'll actually show up!
Hopefully they call you and just settle. I just filed a letter of appeal with the BBB and I am waiting on GM to call me on Friday. BBB says they don't cover extended warranties . Whatever. They are supposed to be the advocates of fair business practices and they wont keep a company from violating consumer protection laws . What a joke.

And they wonder why people go and buy ******* Toyotas. If I didn't love my Camaro so much and hate imports so much I probably would.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Ok what should I do, 01 Camaro T-Top and the sail is black (car is burgandy) and its bubbleing like a ****... 96K miles
Old 11-12-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pushing it, but it depends on how much time you are willing to spend on it. I spend a quite a bit of time each week calling people and writing letters.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone around tomball, tx have a dealership fix this problem for them? im startin to see a few bubbles poppin up. 63,000 miles.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:35 AM
10 Second Club

My '99 has 45k miles on it, and it's just now starting to bubble..
Old 11-13-2007, 02:25 PM
Launching!

I got a call back today from the local dealer and he said that they would't fix it. I then called gm and gave them the Technical Service Bulletin number. That guy more less said that they never posted it. He said that just because I found it on the net doesn't mean gm had anything to do with it. So, I guess I will have to pay for it out of my pocket.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well after a lengthy conversation w/my Tech Manager, the Pontiac District Manager, denied my claim "sight unseen" for the Goodwill reparations.

His name is Sidney Winston, and will be included in my correspondence to the GM product Warranty division. This is just **** POOR customer service IMHO.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

Small claims court/ law suits are the only way to go these days!
Old 11-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Banned

damn im glad mines convertable....thatd be just one more thing id be mad about lol
Old 11-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Teching In

A year now and nuthin, and yes, I'm the guy who posted Scott Summers number up on LS1.com, haven't heard back from him, so I have since had two "case numbers" besides the orginal one with him and all I keep getting is the runaround.

I'm going to a nearby Pontiac dealer tomorrow who asked me to come in to take a look at it. If they say no...no BS my next car will say Challenger on it.

And this isn't just because I have a few bubbles on the sail panel oh no...sit down kids, lemme tell ya a story.

Back in the late 80's I bought a nice blue 84' Camaro, it looked just fine, got compliments everywhere I went on it, but after the first winter (no it wasn't garaged but still) after the first winter the paint just started flaking off, exposing grey paint underneath, which would then soon rust, the more time that went by, the more paint came off, the more grey was exposed and the more rust developed, until after two years it looked ridiculous, it looked like the kind of car you would expect a crack addict to be driving.

Well, as you can imagine, cars like that tend to stand out. And guess who it caught the eye of, that's right, every f'in cop that seen me. I was pulled over more times than you can imagine. The tickets began to pile up, until finally...License...REVOKED.

I won't even go into the hell that resulted from that.

As soon as I got a different car, no more getting pulled over. I mean one of the cops just flat out said, "Look at this car, it looks like hell"

Before I got rid of it, I see a special on 20/20 about how GM eliminated the primer coat from these cars using just an electrolytic coat which the paint didn't adhere to for very long. I just watched the show shaking my head. This was done in an effort to save money.

Knowing that the "problem" ended in I believe 94' when they went back to using primer, I didn't think twice about buying a nice black 01' WS.6

Well....SURPRISE! Here's a bubbling sail panel for ya.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

i am now lawyer and do not know what the laws are could there be a class action suit filled
to get a recall? i had the gm rep tell me the bubbles were cause by not taking care of the car. i was a detailer at the time for a gm body shop and the mangers knew it wasn't true and tried telling her that but she just said my hands are tied witch is bullshit . not only do i have the bubbles on my hard top i have paint peeling on my quarter i am screwed
Old 11-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Teching In

I'm no lawyer either, and have no idea how you go about filing a class action lawsuit. I imagine someone has to ask a lawyer what one has to do and of course, how much it costs.

All I know is this is BS, there is a TSB they act like doesn't exist. The odd thing is, when you call GM they say they are aware of the problem, give you a case number, tell you to go to a dealer, then the dealer says no...WTF???

What am I missing here, if GM says you can have it done, doesn't that mean in effect they are covering it, and all that has to be done is the dealer does it and they are reimbursed by GM or is that not how it works. I tell these people I have a case number, the work has been approved by GM, yet the dealer's say no, I'm dumbfounded.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what I understand, you start w/the dealership who refers it to the District Regional GM/Pontiac rep. At that point, they can approve or deny your request. If you are unhappy, then you can contact GM/Pontiac customer service w/claim # and protest.
(Good luck) They uphold the District Managers' decision.

It's all boguss and BS, but to deny a claim "sight unseen" just represents the state of the Domestic Automotive Industry IMHO.

Would Toyota, BMW, Mercedes or VW treat you this way? Probably NOT.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:57 AM
On The Tree

I got a free oil change from GM and maybe making some progress with the dealership im talking to. The oil change is because I showed disproval the rep.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to start making this public knowledge as much as I can. It is plain and simple BS...GM made a mistake that was done when the cars were being built, and they should fix it. My letter writing campaign starts today. Somebody somewhere will listen.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I'm going to start making this public knowledge as much as I can. It is plain and simple BS...GM made a mistake that was done when the cars were being built, and they should fix it. My letter writing campaign starts today. Somebody somewhere will listen.
Thanks, and GM wonders why their market share is shrinking
Old 11-30-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone got any suggestions or a comparison for this 2002 Hardtop SS?
(See the thread here in this forum named "02 Camaro Roof Changed-More Problems")

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies