Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if this is an easy fix or even if we do get this problem solved a year down the road we're going to have to deal with water leaking in and headliners falling down
Old 10-28-2007, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

i'm also sol. the previous owner must have not known about the tsb and just had it repainted because there is overspray on the weather stripping and still bubbles . i dont like this situation. they've been painting cars for how long...kinda stupid to have a problem like this
Old 10-28-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

if anyone has troubles with this they need to try to talk to the service manager... if that doesnt work get ahold of their gm rep... if you bitch enough stuff happens i see it everyday

i have seen people get their car bought back over less stuff
Old 10-28-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nice4thgenZ
if anyone has troubles with this they need to try to talk to the service manager... if that doesnt work get ahold of their gm rep... if you bitch enough stuff happens i see it everyday

i have seen people get their car bought back over less stuff
I have tried to talk to the regional division manager and any other superior GM employee above the service manager and either they say that can not foward any message to them or they can't give out their contact info. The dealership service manager and GM 800# has told me this

The service manager also told me about the buy back situation with severly defected vehicles but I just want the vehcile fixed! a few hundred $$$ I would pay for it myself but I'm quoted 1K+ for the repair and if others are still getting their's repaired per the TSB for free then my vehicle should be no different!
Old 10-29-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I dont work for gm any longer otherwise I would try to find someone for you. on a 02 i dont see why they wouldnt take care of it
Old 10-29-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

UPDATE: So GM called me back today and the factory rep ended up refusing to come out. BBB and small claims here I come.....
Old 10-31-2007, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

fight em brotha. i went to the stealership and they took down my info and said the regional manager would be in town on thursday and if he authorizes it they'll give me a call on thursday...aka i'm throwing this out when you walk out the door, thank you have a nice day. this is retarded. mine looks like absolute crap. its a big eye sore. ruined my year when i saw it.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brundz
fight em brotha. i went to the stealership and they took down my info and said the regional manager would be in town on thursday and if he authorizes it they'll give me a call on thursday...aka i'm throwing this out when you walk out the door, thank you have a nice day. this is retarded. mine looks like absolute crap. its a big eye sore. ruined my year when i saw it.
I don't see how they can deny my claim. I have proof that the same kind of car, with more miles on it, second owner, and with the same problem, was repaired for free under warranty under the same service bulletin. Unbelievable.

And for reference, I filed complaints with Better Business, consumeraffairs.com, California Department of Consumer Affairs, and the Center for Auto Safety. I also wrote a letter to my local newspaper, local TV News station, both my state senators, and a letter to GM informing them of my dissatisfaction. Basically I said,
Old 10-31-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

I done pretty much the same thing but to no avail no one wants to help. When denied I wanted proof that the dist. manager actually reviewed the claim and that he actually denied and why(when providing reciept of others repaired at no cost) and I all I was told was it was denied we got ya c-ya later dumbass!

I am filing a claim through my local small claims court and hope to have a date set for the appearance before a judge. I sent a letter to the Detroit, MI head office advising them of the situation that they already knew about and expect to recieve a letter setting a date when they need to appear. I wonder if they'll actually show or just write it off? I'd love for them to show!!!
Old 10-31-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe they would probably settle rather than try to fight it. The center for auto safety website has a good tutorial for bringing GM to small claims. If I end up having to do that I want to see if I could file in a county near me where there is no airport within a 2 hour drive and schedule it for as early as I can on Monday morning. Make it as difficult as I can for them.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

yea i wish my car was 2 years newer like you guys. i have the receipt too that another car was fixed for free but unfortunetly i'm a year and a half outta the 6 year paint warrenty, under mileage but out of the year so i have no argument in court. it would be a waste of my time and money
Old 10-31-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Such bullshit, did the problems start before your car went out of warranty? If so you could claim discovery in court. What I mean by that is even though you are out of warranty, you should still be reimbursed because you had no way of knowing there was a defect in the paint because you were never notified by GM that there was a problem.

I dont know much about your situation, but I think this article could help you, dont let GM off that easy.

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=99&did=562
Old 10-31-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

UPDATE: GM responded to my complaint from the BBB. Got to the next level of GM customer service. A little bit friendlier this time around. They collected some info from me (basically the same thing they did the first time I called GM) and said they would call the dealers, factory rep, and investigate further and get back to me on the 9th.

My b-day is on the 8th, it would be such a nice present from GM to a person from a family who only buys GM cars, if they would tell me go ahead and get the roof replaced free of charge. But somehow I just don't see that happening.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

haha thats cool. well if they responded to you after the bbb got on their case then i bet you they are actually working on it instead of just making you think they are and not doing anything. it might not be free of charge but i bet they at least split it with you now
Old 10-31-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

When I filed with the BBB the BBB called me back and said that the vehicle was out of THEIR warranty parameters and that I would have to deal with GM directly and sorry they could not help!

A GM cust. service guy called that handles BBB complaints a few days after it was filed and pretty much did the same thing as if you would call the GM 800# and promised that he would contact the district manager and get back to me. A few days passed and no call, so I call him and he states that ohh yeah I fowarded the file to him and he denied it once again!

How do we know the files ever got fowarded or the dealerships actually contacted their superiors about our complaints? They try to lead you in circles and make you jump through hoops and hope that you'll give up well they've met the wrong guy to give the run around!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

haha thats cool. well if they responded to you after the bbb got on their case then i bet you they are actually working on it instead of just making you think they are and not doing anything. it might not be free of charge but i bet they at least split it with you now
If they offer me anything other than full coverage of this repair (aside from maybe a 100 or 200 dollar deductible) I am taking their asses straight to small claims court.

By the way, offering warranty coverage repairs for one person and then denying another person coverage for the same problem is a violation of California Consumer Protection Law. Just some FYI for those of you in Cali.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

yea they've basically just blown off a ton of laws so if u do take them all the way to court you will probably win. but there probably just gonna throw the least amount possible at you until that point because usually people will just give in if you dig and dig and dig at them
Old 11-01-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea they've basically just blown off a ton of laws so if u do take them all the way to court you will probably win. but there probably just gonna throw the least amount possible at you until that point because usually people will just give in if you dig and dig and dig at them
True that. I'm definitely not giving in if they want me to pay anything over $300 dollars. It could be worse though. We could be driving a Ford.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

mine was wrecked and it needs replaced anyways. A buddy of mine is going to do it for free almost. Is it hard to remove the original sail panel and reaplce it?
Old 11-01-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There was a guy a couple pages back who was doing it himself I think and had a pretty tough time with it. From what I recall there is a lot of sanding involved and it makes a huge mess.

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies