Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Just got back from the yard. The roof was $80 out the door and it took maybe two hours to get off. We would have gotten it all in one sitting, but after an hour and a half the two batteries for the sawzall died and we had to go and let them charge for a few hours. After we got back it only took 30 minutes to finish cutting the roof free.

The topless Trans Am;

The roof with roof skin still intact;

I've just got to get the angle grinder out and remove some of the excess metal from the roof structure and then I'm going to get the razor blades out and cut the glue holding the skin on. So close! Almost bubble free!
Old 09-10-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Ok Chaman, I'm currently in the middle of chopping the roof off a 94 Trans Am in the yard I mentioned. My buddy and I are taking a break to charge sawzall batteries. There are two more roofs out there and I'll let you know the full price for the roof once we get it off and paid for.
Thanks man, let me know.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chaman
Thanks man, let me know.
$80! Not too bad!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

$80! Not too bad!
Kidding? Of course not. Let me know about shipping and stuff! Thanks again.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Kidding? Of course not. Let me know about shipping and stuff! Thanks again.
I'm going to start cutting away the excess metal over the next few days and see if I can get the skin free. From there I'll have to take some measurements and try and find a box / stuffing and see if I can get an estimated quote from the USPS place down the road from me. Back in the yard there are three T-Top roofs and a hardtop roof that can be reused. All are black (except the one I got which was red, but it was the easiest to get to). If the shipping price is good with you then I can go back and get one for you and send it on down there. Heck, I may harvest one or two more while I'm there and keep them in case I get other 99-02 F-Bodies in the future!

For those out there wondering, it's not that bad. Bring a cordless sawzall (make it a nice one, we used a DeWalt) and about 4 fully charged batteries. I'd also take along a crowbar so you can pry the metal out of the way and make it easier to get to the parts that need to be cut on the inside. Take your time and be patient and it will go ok. I'd also recommend taking a friend. My buddy and I got one side completely free and then got the other side about halfway cut and he would lift up on the panel and twist it so I could reach hard to get to spots with ease. I'd also bring some gloves so you don't cut yourself on the sharp metal edges. I'll get some pictures of my process of cutting out the excess metal and getting at the glue once I get to that point.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to a guy who takes Firebirds (mostly totaled by a crash) apart, and i bought a roofpanel from a 1996 Firebird.
They removed the complete roof for me, for € 100,00 (about $ 135,00).

At home i took a paint stripper, and heated the underside of the metal roof, so the adhesive gets soft a litte bit.
I took some cutting wire, and removed this panel without a problem.
One the side of the window panels (T-roof) you have to bent the metal, so it's easier with the cutting wire.

The complete roof:

Cutting wire:

The panel is removed:

The metal you have to bent, for easy acces with cutting wire.

The underside of the good panel,
Only i have to remove the rest of the adhesive:

Last edited by pv-camaro; 09-25-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Update?
Old 09-25-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pv-camaro
.....At home i took a paint stripper, and heated the underside of the metal roof, so the adhesive gets soft a litte bit.
I took some cutting wire, and removed this panel without a problem.
Yep, this is what I'm doing. Or, rather, will do once I get the free time to get out in the back and work on it!

Update?
I'm still working on getting the skin off so I can get a quote. I work for my county in the elections department, so with the upcoming Nov. 8th Constitutional Amendment I've been swamped. I'm going to try and get out today and work on it, but how far I get depends on when I have to pick up my daughter this afternoon. I haven't forgotten you though, promise!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Yep, this is what I'm doing. Or, rather, will do once I get the free time to get out in the back and work on it!

I'm still working on getting the skin off so I can get a quote. I work for my county in the elections department, so with the upcoming Nov. 8th Constitutional Amendment I've been swamped. I'm going to try and get out today and work on it, but how far I get depends on when I have to pick up my daughter this afternoon. I haven't forgotten you though, promise!
LOL!! Okay man, Im no hurry at all.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Default T-Bar roof "bubbling idea"...Thoughts?

I'm tired of friends and people that don't know these cars asking me whats wrong with my roof. So I was thinking about having a local company do a carbon fiber wrap on just the T-bar portion to cover the bubbles up. Has anyone ever done this or seen anyone do it to their car?? Pictures would be nice if anyone has any. Thanks!!
Old 10-03-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OP I know the "wrap" that you are talking about in theory it will work but to make sure you have a smooth surface won't you have to sand down the bubbles. Then you apply the wrap and the bubbles will eventually come back and just push up through the wrap. This is just a theory so don't take it as gospel. However if it bothers you that much why not spend the cash and fix it right instead of just band-aiding the problem.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Your car has contracted the herp. Its ok, mine did too. Wrapping up wont help, herpes can get around that (just fyi). Just try to go back to the dealership (good luck there), or hit up 6LE for a real carbon fiber replacement.

Last edited by Br3tticu$; 10-03-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Sail panel removal

loooking good doing this tomorrow

Last edited by cancam99ss; 10-03-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Launching!

So, I've had this bubbling problem myself probably 5 years ago. I noticed ~~ 2 years ago that the problem appeared to be coming back. I'm going to share w/ you guys my idea that I came up w/ 2 years ago. Now, nothing has gotten worse and I never tried this but maybe someone on the board wants to try it. The idea is to use a latex sticker (black) to cover the entire piece (I have t-top style). I'm bringing this up now because I saw something at AAP today that I thought would be better/ pretty darn cool. They are selling some type of latex sticker (carbon graphite/ brushed silver/black/whatever) material. They had a model of a camaro and the entire hood and roof was done and it looked awesome. The material looks and feels awesome. This company producing the material says it is 'breathable'. They also have some video's on their site and it looks like it would be pretty neat on interior parts or exterior. They advertise it lasts ~~ 3 years. Who knows, I know someone w/ latex sticker on his truck for 4 years and it still looks the same and has not faded. Feedback guys, what do you think?

This is now a meguiars owned company. Is this the FIX FOR OUR CARS!!
http://www.wraptivo.com/
Old 10-04-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Schnell
So, I've had this bubbling problem myself probably 5 years ago. I noticed ~~ 2 years ago that the problem appeared to be coming back. I'm going to share w/ you guys my idea that I came up w/ 2 years ago. Now, nothing has gotten worse and I never tried this but maybe someone on the board wants to try it. The idea is to use a latex sticker (black) to cover the entire piece (I have t-top style). I'm bringing this up now because I saw something at AAP today that I thought would be better/ pretty darn cool. They are selling some type of latex sticker (carbon graphite/ brushed silver/black/whatever) material. They had a model of a camaro and the entire hood and roof was done and it looked awesome. The material looks and feels awesome. This company producing the material says it is 'breathable'. They also have some video's on their site and it looks like it would be pretty neat on interior parts or exterior. They advertise it lasts ~~ 3 years. Who knows, I know someone w/ latex sticker on his truck for 4 years and it still looks the same and has not faded. Feedback guys, what do you think?

This is now a meguiars owned company. Is this the FIX FOR OUR CARS!!
http://www.wraptivo.com/
No, this won't fix it. It's been tried before (wrapping the panel in vinyl) and the bubbles show back up underneath it and cause the vinyl to bubble as well.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Has anyone installed the 6LE reproduction panels yet? If so, how was fitment? And please post some pics. It seems like they've been out there for a while now, someone must have installed one.

I'm mostly interested in fitment of the NON-carbon fiber panel. I dislike the CF look, so I'm not interested in that.

Please post up if you have installed the new panel.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fitment has been hit and miss, probably due them rushing the order, but we've taken care of everyone. Here's pics of one that was just installed, it needed the most work as well but you can see it came out great...

Name:  InstalledSailPanel.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  1.47 MB
Old 10-14-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1Hotbird
What Glue should I use to reinstall my sail panel?
I think the TSB calls out the part number for the glue. It's somewhere in this thread.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Fitment has been hit and miss, probably due them rushing the order, but we've taken care of everyone. Here's pics of one that was just installed, it needed the most work as well but you can see it came out great...

Wow, that came out amazing. Great work.

I got my panel repaired by GM but it was the hardtop. Hopefully if the issue pops up again someone like you will be making the hardtop version!
Old 10-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
I think the TSB calls out the part number for the glue. It's somewhere in this thread.
It is also on my ordering page for the sail panels... Other recommendations as well.

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies