Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SOo Loochy 88 Check your email i sent you the bulleton

I dont know how to upload it on here soo do it for me. or someone pm me with there email addy so i can send it and you can upload it!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Regular

hey, i got it.... ill upload what i have. very interesting, since it says to disregard the bulliten everyone originally got ahold of. that would be why gm always tells us they cant find the one we reference. its a little hard to read, and if you could sent me a bigger copy i would appreciate it even more. but thanks!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah that could be why. I think the owners should have gotten together when this was first learned to be a manufacturing defect and put together a class action. Although I am no lawyer, so...

Now I am not an original owner and have pretty much no say since in addition the car is over 6 years old.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

here we go... if you have a chance email me a clearer one...

Name:  GM.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  31.8 KB

Name:  GM001.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  43.0 KB

Name:  GM002.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  14.8 KB
Old 09-27-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

now, i'm having trouble reading the parts section, but i remember someone saying the original TSB called for the wrong glue. This unfortunately casused the roof bubbles to come back. Maybe its possible people were handing over their outdated TSB's, and the dealers were fixing them using the wrong stuff. I could be wrong... and i cant really read which glue/primer this one calls for.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Loochy

The comment about the GM benefits was sarcastic

I have received more than one case of skunky beer before in my life - I didn't contact the mfg. for a new case - just threw it out. And it sure as hell didn't stop me from buying the same beer again - **** happens...

And yes I take VERY good care of all my cars, I do not have the bubbling roof problem on either of my T/A's (2000 or 2002). And if I did, and the problem just reared it's ugly head 6 years later - I would pay to have it fixed myself.

That's one of the main problems in the world today - everything is always someone else's fault and everyone wants someone else to pay for their problems.

Basically I 'm suprised that the GM contacts don't tell you to take that copy of the TSB and wipe your *** with it.

My opinion still stands - take care of it yourself
Old 09-27-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Sarcasm tends to get lost on the internet.

More than one case of skunky beer? You must be a miller drinker.

My guess is that you will see the roof bubble problem soon, or you dont liver in a very warm climate. Have fun fixing something GM couldnt put together right in the first place.

Im not the guy who goes around filing lawsuits and blaming people, but when you pay money for a product that doesnt deliver what it promises, thats a problem. Your roof shouldnt bubble off your car when cared for properly.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Loochy
Pm me Your home address and i will send you a copy of it in paper that way you can read it i hope my find helps all of us out. My dad was thrilled to help out but must keep his name hidden. as he works for gm soo doesnt want any greif i told him about our problem and didnt think twice to help out. If anyone else wants a copy let me know.
I will email it all around if need be.
Thanks Guys
GEorge
Old 09-27-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

I agree with 1QUIKWS6 about society today always "passing the buck" and blaming someone else for mistakes that they made, BUT if you build a vehcile and use a wrong material which in turn causes damage (in any form) to the vehicle you(GM) should not "pass the buck" but in turn fess up to your mistakes and make the necessary repairs. Without shafting your customers!

Exceptions should be made to vehicles that have not been taken care of(i.e. damaged panels never repaired and poor overall condition)
Old 09-29-2007, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

I don't think it's a matter of sucking it up or whatever anymore.

It isn't the amount of time that's passed or that foriegn cars cost more to begin with.

Some people are getting the panel fixed
Some people are not getting the panel fixed.
This has been true it seems since day one and it is still happening.

GM needs to state why this is true and publish guidelines.
If they don't, how do we know what they base it on.
How the service manager feels that morning?
Did he or she get any last night?
Do they have a hangover?

The randon selection of fixes vs. non-fixes is total bullshit when no apparent reasons show.

And if that's the truth, for best results send your wife/girlfriend in your bubbling car over to the dealership dressed like Paris Hilton and with a six-pack of single barrel Scotch.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is this problem only with the T-top cars or the hardtops?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
Is this problem only with the T-top cars or the hardtops?
My 2001 som v6 camaro had this happen. But i got the car new and fixed within the first 2 years.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(a) YES, Pontiac/GM should make good on the TSB since it was released years ago, and I WAS NEVER NOTIFIED THAT THIS WAS A CONDITION THAT COULD POSSIBLY OCCUR

(b) Most cars that developed these problems were dark in nature and probably were exposed to the sun (causing gas vapors to create the problem).

In my case, it is a DD, but it is also a show car/car audio vehicle which sits under a carport and/or cover most of the time and doesn't get exposed on a regular basis. Secondly, it is Pewter, so this also took longer to develop. Regardless on the time frame, it is a pre-existing condition stemming from faulty workmanship/craftsmenship.

Just like the paint issue w/Ford on the Taurus' from past years. Which, BTW, was covered by Ford if I remember correctly. So what makes this case any different? I do believe there is precedent for a class-action case. But to deny and dismiss some, while authorizing reparations for others is utter non-sense.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read some of these posts but not all. I have a 98 & 99 T/A (both White) with no problems..Is it on the darker cars that are having problems? Talked to my ex woman for the 1st time in 5 years & she said her 01 T/A(black) has bubbled too..
Old 10-03-2007, 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

mine is doing it as well, but i doube GM will cover it since its a 99 and out of warranty...pisses me off...
Old 10-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Got an 02 WS6 with several popped bubbles on the sail panel.

Just used the TSB posted on line in this thread and showed it to a local dealer here in WI and worked with GM Customer service. The service manager got an approval from the regional manager to replace the top. Parts are ordered and is scheduled to be repaired next week. I believe it is getting covered by the 6 year paint/body corrosion warranty.

I originally lived in FL and moved to WI 2 months ago. The perople are much nicer up here and I believe that is why this is getting taken care of ( good custome service).

In FL, they could give a rats a$$ after the sale......
Old 10-04-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My 2002 hardtop with 55k miles seems to be have this problem near the bottom of the sail panels and around the edges of the roof. I thought they were just chips in the paint but after seeing this and looking closer it seems like they are popped bubbles. Hope someone in Cali will take care of this if this is indeed the problem.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

More than one case of skunky beer? You must be a miller drinker.
Actually, I drink either Sam Adams, Blue Moon, Corona, or Coors Light - course the skunky beer was the CL

I do agree with one statement made - if GM has/and will fix the problem SOME of the time - then they definitely should fix it ALL the time.

By fixing some cars (and I'm talking about cars that just show the problem now after at least 5 years - not back when the TSB was written) - they have set a precedence which almost should force them to fix all. One thing I did notice is that they did not set an expiration date on the TSB - so their piece of paper does essentially say they will fix it forever...
Old 10-04-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marcello93
Got an 02 WS6 with several popped bubbles on the sail panel.

Just used the TSB posted on line in this thread and showed it to a local dealer here in WI and worked with GM Customer service. The service manager got an approval from the regional manager to replace the top. Parts are ordered and is scheduled to be repaired next week. I believe it is getting covered by the 6 year paint/body corrosion warranty.

I originally lived in FL and moved to WI 2 months ago. The perople are much nicer up here and I believe that is why this is getting taken care of ( good custome service).

In FL, they could give a rats a$$ after the sale
Amen to that brother.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no expert but I assume it was mostly the darker cars. My Arctic White 2000 did not develop the problem. The SOM 2001 has it, and it is pretty ridiculous. You can see exactly where the bead of urethane was run under the panel.

btw if someone doesn't mind emailing me a copy of the new one...
matt.dennison@gmail.com

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies