Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marcello93
Mileage is 68K.
Wow, I should be able to get mine done then.....56k. You the original owner?
Old 10-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Teching In

I sopke to my service manager and he agreed that the level of good customer service at a dealer is a primary factor of covering this issue under warranty.

In Wisconsin most businesses need to have good service or they will go out of business. The less populated areas just have better service.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Teching In

No... I am the 2nd owner.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In Wisconsin most businesses need to have good service or they will go out of business. The less populated areas just have better service.
It should be like that everywhere. Where I am in San Luis Obispo it is not that big of a town. They are a member of Better Business so if they want to keep their AAA rating they should get this done for me. I am a second owner as well and if GM decided to fix your car at 68k, they set a precedent and should fix all cars with the problem.

Congrats on getting the problem fixed, I hope I can get to where you are soon.

I hope they give you some kind of proof of the work you had done, would give a lot of us good leverage to get this fixed
Old 10-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
It should be like that everywhere. Where I am in San Luis Obispo it is not that big of a town. They are a member of Better Business so if they want to keep their AAA rating they should get this done for me. I am a second owner as well and if GM decided to fix your car at 68k, they set a precedent and should fix all cars with the problem.

Congrats on getting the problem fixed, I hope I can get to where you are soon.

I hope they give you some kind of proof of the work you had done, would give a lot of us good leverage to get this fixed
As I said to many others..... I will do my best to get the invoice posted as proof. Hopefully it will work to get others done.

I agree that if GM is going to cover some cars, then they should cover all that report the issue. GM told me that this issue is a case by case decision through the dealers. GM can't make the dealers cover this issue. I don't agree, but thats GM for ya.

Reminds me of health insurance companies.....Deny deny deny.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM told me that this issue is a case by case decision through the dealers. GM can't make the dealers cover this issue. I don't agree, but thats GM for ya.

Yup, and I told my Dealership (after 22 years), SEE YA!

Maybe that explains the CNBC domestic car satisfaction rating that came out today:

Ford 93%
Chrysler ??? 72%
GM 49%

Last edited by Firehawk526; 10-16-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As I said to many others..... I will do my best to get the invoice posted as proof. Hopefully it will work to get others done.

I agree that if GM is going to cover some cars, then they should cover all that report the issue. GM told me that this issue is a case by case decision through the dealers. GM can't make the dealers cover this issue. I don't agree, but thats GM for ya.

Really makes you rethink your loyalties. My family has always bought GM cars.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:02 AM
Teching In

The new TSB says it was issued to correct a PN...so where is the corrected PN?

I don't see ANY part numbers on it, so how is a body shop supposed to know what to use?
Is there a page missing or something?

The old TSB had body, primer and urethane part numbers, I assume the body part numbers were correct, which leaves the primer and urethane as suspect, so why is there no updated primer and urethane PN's on the new TSB?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by {FzS}BlacKMagicK
The new TSB says it was issued to correct a PN...so where is the corrected PN?

I don't see ANY part numbers on it, so how is a body shop supposed to know what to use?
Is there a page missing or something?

The old TSB had body, primer and urethane part numbers, I assume the body part numbers were correct, which leaves the primer and urethane as suspect, so why is there no updated primer and urethane PN's on the new TSB?
I watched the service manager print it directly from their website. It is 4 pages. I am not sure what changes are between the old and new.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:56 AM
Teching In

Marcello, in each link you posted I get one page, do you see two in each link when you open each link?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My dealer told me to go get estimates from different places to send to GM, no one really wants to touch this....
Old 10-17-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Marcello, hows the work coming along on your car?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firehawk526
In my case, it is a DD, but it is also a show car/car audio vehicle which sits under a carport and/or cover most of the time and doesn't get exposed on a regular basis. Secondly, it is Pewter, so this also took longer to develop. Regardless on the time frame, it is a pre-existing condition stemming from faulty workmanship/craftsmenship.

Just like the paint issue w/Ford on the Taurus' from past years. Which, BTW, was covered by Ford if I remember correctly. So what makes this case any different? I do believe there is precedent for a class-action case. But to deny and dismiss some, while authorizing reparations for others is utter non-sense.
Same issues for me, I have the BSM paint and it is just starting to show signs of paint stress from whatever is happening below the paint. It looks like a little bit of spider webbing below where the stip of adhesive would be. My car is also under a cover most the time and is a show car. Unfortunately the spider webbing is really hard to see unless you can catch just the right reflection. Body Shop manager who wears glasses no less, couldn't see what I was talking about.

I'm surprised no one has tried to sue GM over this. I mean, aren't they basically profiling peoples cars when they should be treating them all equally as this is a production wide issue?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
Same issues for me, I have the BSM paint and it is just starting to show signs of paint stress from whatever is happening below the paint. It looks like a little bit of spider webbing below where the stip of adhesive would be. My car is also under a cover most the time and is a show car. Unfortunately the spider webbing is really hard to see unless you can catch just the right reflection. Body Shop manager who wears glasses no less, couldn't see what I was talking about.

I'm surprised no one has tried to sue GM over this. I mean, aren't they basically profiling peoples cars when they should be treating them all equally as this is a production wide issue?
Probably anyone that had tried to, GM ended up settling with. I am in the process of trying to get mine fixed right now. Waiting for Marcello to get his fixed and hopefully provide the rest of us with some leverage. Its on a dealer by dealer basis right now.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some helpful conversations:

Quote:
Hey, I saw your post about the place in San Jose, do you have a receipt number or something that can show this was done to your car?

By: warpwr

That invoice number is cvcs63698.

But lots of Camaros have been fixed. I just don't think it is fair for GM to let the various dealerships randomly decide who gets fixed and who doesn't. Fix all or none.

The particular service manager that I dealt with was straight up and had the work done for me. Maybe it was my lucky day.

Quote:
Hey sorry to bug you again, but about how many miles did you have on your car when you got it fixed and are you the original owner?

By: warpwr

Not a problem at all.
My car had 31,500 miles on it and I am the original owner. It still has (to this day) the original windshield wiper blades, battery, etc. I did have to replace the tires due to a blowout.
I'm sure that had something to do with the decision to repair.
But regardless, GM is biased in their decision making by choosing only some to repair with no criteria.
All we need is a black or asian person to get denied at this point and claim the denial is based on race. Then watch what happens.
and...
We should probably be posting this conversation in the open forum.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

My car was just dropped off for the replacement roof. Should be done by Thursday or Friday. I will request a warranty receipt so I can post it here. I will also post the dealership info after the job is complete. Don't want to rattle the cage before the job is complete.

Also, Here is the latest TSB from GM on this issue. The one that is posted on this thread is an old one. It's is also a better quality scan for those of you that need it.
I was just told a few minutes ago by GM that they wont fix my bubbling roof.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bucksbadz
I was just told a few minutes ago by GM that they wont fix my bubbling roof.
How many miles on your car/what year/first owner? What did they tell you?
Old 10-17-2007, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

How many miles on your car/what year/first owner? What did they tell you?
It is an 02 with 58k and im the second owner. GM said that the car is affected by the bulletin but it was pending the service managers approvial. GM talked to the service manager directly and denied the work request. So my next action is to get as many invoice numbers as i can to use as muscle and try that. If that don't work i'll start a class action lawsuit against GM on the base of, it is a factory defect and you fixed his car and you won't fix mine. If anyone wants to help let me know. The more invoice numbers i can get, the better chance that myself and anybody else who is in this fight can have it fixed.

Chris

Old 10-17-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bucksbadz
It is an 02 with 58k and im the second owner. GM said that the car is affected by the bulletin but it was pending the service managers approvial. GM talked to the service manager directly and denied the work request. So my next action is to get as many invoice numbers as i can to use as muscle and try that. If that don't work i'll start a class action lawsuit against GM on the base of, it is a factory defect and you fixed his car and you won't fix mine. If anyone wants to help let me know. The more invoice numbers i can get, the better chance that myself and anybody else who is in this fight can have it fixed.

Chris

That is the buzzsaw I ran into also, but the Dealership SM said it was the District Pontiac Area rep that denied it, but we all know better now don't we?
Old 10-17-2007, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealerships denied me too. Wasn't till I called the GM 800# in the back of the owners manual that a woman there got the ball rolling for me. Ended up getting it fixed for free thru the same dealership that originally denied me.

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies