Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

I was in a wreck last night :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flamin' bird
Sorry about the car but glad it's fixeable. Glad youre ok
thanks! I'm really sorry about your car too, I just saw the pics At least it gives you a good reason to get that T/A bumper on there sooner!
Old 01-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

they look at the % of repair cost vs. what it is worth a high repair bill will total it
Old 01-15-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just thought of something. They had to replace my door since it was cracked so what do I do about the stickers in the doorjamb? The door on it now has stickers but i doubt it has the same options as mine. Is this a big deal?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

You can order all the replacement info labels on the door from the dealer. With the correct vin #.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I AM NOT HAPPY!!! Well i saw my car again today and let me just say, i want to cry! Starting with the engine bay, it was scraped up on the front left where the truck hit me so they sprayed over it but the black is much duller than the black in the rest of the engine bay. Also, the flat bar that the driver headlight mounts too was cracked so they welded it and painted it. I really want stuff like that REPLACED!!! Also there is a metal bar in front of the air box that curves down on the driver side and connects to a bar by the window fluid resivour that curves the opposite direction and there is a big shiny metal shim in between them. HALF *** fix from the previous mechanic workin on the car. Also, my driver quarter panel was chipped where my door hit it so they bondo'd it and the paint looks like poo on top of it cuz it's wavy and there are runs and ****. While they painted that, they painted the door too and they didn't bother to remove any of the door moldings or the trans am logo so those just got painted too!!! Also my passenger side quarter panel was smashed upwards, either cuz of the curb jump or the signs we plowed through but they say it's not on the list to be fixed, along with my lid that is partially bent in the front. So they wanna finish everything up and then try to get money from the other guy's insurance to fix the quarter panel. Well i say HELL NO. I just want my damn car back and want to take it to Richey Collision (a board sponsor) and get that stuff fixed, plus have all the other **** redone.

How much will his insurance pay for me if i do this, just the crap that they didn't notice when they did the estimate, or will they pay to fix this bullshit work from the dealership too. His insurance did say they would make it right for me, though i dunno how far they will go now. I'm soo pissed, i wanted my car to look exactly like the second b4 the accident and this is bullshit. I tried from the very beginning once i found out about Richey Collision to get my car down there and my dad fought me the entire time saying we would have to pay to have it towed an hour south and that the dealership would give a year warranty on their repairs and make it right again. Well WHO CARES if they can't even do it right! It's so damn obvious it was wrecked now with the way they are fixing it. The new mechanic guy working on it is cool as hell like i said b4, but he can only do what the people in the office tell him. Someone else paints and I HATE THEM.

I'm so upset right now, i've been pacing back in forth, smoking (thought i finally quit yesterday since i didnt have 1 in the past 2 days!) and it's just been keeping me from concentrating on studying. I don't wish this kinda **** on anyone on this board, I hope it never happens to you!
Old 01-18-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a job done in hell....terrible and I feel bad for you . I am surprised the insurance company would let a half *** shop do the work? Did your insurance have anything to do with it? When mine was in an accident that wasnt my fault I paid my $500 deductible and had 4 choices of where I could go. After all the work was done the other person paid for everything including the $500 deductible. I would certainly call your insurance company and get someone out there to look at the work. I dont think it is legal at all for that place to have done such a shitty job. Oh and when I had another accident when something fell off a truck in front of me and then when the car was keyed I got to choose who to take it to due to the custom paint.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the thing is, I got to choose where to take it and I was gonna have it towed down to Richey cuz it's closer to my house anyway. The wreck happened an hour north where I go to college. My dad fought me saying no, leave it there at the pontiac dealership, they will fix it right. Apparently he talked to the manager and was convinced they could handle it. I told him i didnt want it there since this other place is a board sponsor and I know it will be fixed correctly from all the reviews people gave on this site, but he kept saying no. It was my first wreck since i bought the car 5 years ago so i turned to my parents for advice & it screwed me. I told him if it didn't come out right, i'd be so upset with him, but he's my dad, i can't actually get mad at him!
My insurance hasn't gotten involved at all in this accident so i doubt they are going to now
Old 01-18-2007, 07:06 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

No No NO!!!Unbelieveable man!!

I think the first step is to start ******* the insurance company and have an agent come out to the shop with you so that yo can show them first hand how crappy the work is...Insist on changing shops or with the new damages along with the old un-noted damages,maybe they will total it and you can try to get into another car..

I know you love your car man but,if they have f*ucked it that bad and they won't fix it right (who knows what 2nd rate work has been done that you CAN'T see )...I say try to get it replaced.

Good luck man...let us know how it goes...
Old 01-18-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh i'm going to try everything i can, that's for sure. I don't think something like sueing them would work though since i chose the place, maybe i will have to try though if it comes down to that. I will defnitely be on the phone in the morning with his insurance company. I guess the absolute worse thing that could happen was i get the car back, then take it to Richey Collision and have everything redone paying out of pocket i think that would kill me though. I have 6 grand saved at the moment that is supposed to go towards finishing my BM, then masters & doctorate. & my grandparents gave me 5 grand back in highschool for future schooling that has doubled since i put it in the bank but i would REALLY HATE to tap into that when i don't think i deserve this at all!!!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does the dealership have any warranty on their work? The dealership mine went to when a Budget truck backed into me in 2002 has a warranty for the life of the car or as long as I own it. I would definetly call the guys insurance company tomorrow and see what they can do.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

: ( its so pretty. Looks purely cosmetic to me. - Def. fixable, i would guess it at 6-8K depending on your rear end situation. I know how you feel. I've crashed my Fbod as well - it looks good as new and was also purely cosmetic, new 1/4 panel and a bit of bondo on the spoiler and u cant even tell on mine. Good luck w/ the fix it times. Hopefully a good shop will get it done in a decent time frame for you.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Im with MJK on this, start hounding the insurance company about the half *** work being done, thats why you have insurance, to make things right not mess them up more.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok i just got off the phone with his insurance(state farm). they called the dealership and of course the manager said the car was being repaired right, not half assed and that the test drive is scheduled for this wednesday. at that time i can point out what i'm not happy with in the repairs and they will fix it
what i'm planning on doing is coming in and going on a test drive and never coming back, **** them. his insurance said i can take it down to richey then and they will have a guy come out to estimate the rest of the repairs from the wreck that were missed and i can show them all the shitty work done and hopefully get it all redone. the insurance said they won't pay for the same repair twice but they also said they would pay to have all repairs properly done so it's like they were contradicting themselves. I will fight them to the ground though to make sure all this halfassed work is redone right
Old 01-19-2007, 03:16 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

I don't like how that sounds man...That they seemed like they were contradicting themselves...

Just my opinion but I think you need to get a lot more clarification with the insurance company as to what they mean and will cover before you make a move like suddenly taking it over to a different shop.

Maybe try to get it in writing as to what is OK with the insurance company.With as many insurance disputes as there are today,I think the ins comp will definately understand if you want any discussions/agreements in writing.

THE BOTTOM LINE in all of this is that you do NOT deserve or should expect to "settle" for a 2nd or 3rd rate repair job...If you are not happy with the work,they have failed to uphold thier part of the agreement in my opinion.

BTW...nah nah nah....Don't even consider messing with your education money.In the end (as I'm sure you know) that education is going to allow you to buy another TA like yours ten times over...I wouldn't advise that,but I bet it would be with in your financial range further down the road...

Good luck man...hang in there.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

Holy cow what a letdown for you. I agree with MJK that you need the insurance company to specifically stipulate what the conditions are for additional repairs / redo of previous repairs. If you don't, you'll end up stuck with what's been done. Keep on the insurance people, and do NOT let them tell you that your car is done until it is to your satisfaction.

Just a quick example: My T/A was rear ended in a hit and run accident (with me in the car). Long story short I'd memorized their plate # and they ended up paying for repairs. When their rep came out he tried to tell me that my WS.6 badge was simply, "held on with 2 sided tape". I went ballistic and noted that it was a rather expensive badge that required a vin number, was made of ceramic, and was baked into the paint. They got me a new badge. Whether or not this is true is still up for debate, but to him it sounded good.

Moral of story, be overly knowledgeable about what you want done, state that it's not right and you know exactly why!
Old 01-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

You should be able to get it fixed to your liking no matter what. call your insurance company and tell them about the situation and see what they say.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i think i'm fucked. Apparently since this dealership wasn't on State Farm's list, they won't pay to let another shop fix this ones **** ups. They also said they are gonna stop payment on my rental car tomorrow since this place is taking so long. What the ****!!! I don't know what to do now!
I'm debating calling my insurance company but I'm not sure what they could do. Maybe I just need to call a lawyer.
MY POOR CAR!!!
Old 01-26-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

i spoke directly to the adjuster. He said that lady had was an idiot. This shop is on their list, so the rental car keeps going, and he will meet me on monday to look at my car with me
Old 01-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Launching!

I had a similar prob with the hood on my car after my accident i took it to the dealer for repairs got it back and the fender hood and front clip didnt match, well the dealer didnt think it was off cause after all they blended it. well i called up state farm and started bitching at them about the repairs and they sent out an adjuster. so the adjuster comes and he pointed out the paint problems right away and imediatley called the dealer and schedualed a repaint of the entire front end. so it goes back and i get it back and what do i find a matching left fender hood and clip and a missmatching right fender. called insurance again and they made them repaint the entire car with the adjuster there making sure they did it right. so as long as the dealer is on state farms list just keep bitching until its done to your specs.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Damn sorry bout the car

Quick Reply: I was in a wreck last night :(