Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Removing body side molding that's been painted over

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Removing body side molding that's been painted over

I'm dying to remove the molding off of the doors, but I am afraid that the car was repainted at one time, and that they just painted over the side molding. If I remove the side molding, will a detail shop be able to buff/polish it out, or would the door probably need to be repainted? Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this problem before.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More than likely IF the car has been repainted, the moldings were not taken off. Do you think the car was repainted the the stock color or was the color changed? Also, if there is molding on the car then the original paint is under the molding and should be in good condition. I've peeled moldings off a high mileage 95, high mileage 01 and low mileage 00 and the paint looked like it was new; once cleaned up. But these cars, to my knowledge weren't repainted. Is this on your Formula?
Old 01-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Launching!

If your car has been painted WITH the moldings left on,you'll need to have the sides refinished....I know,happend to me,and I would do it again cause !moldings look SO much better.

I'll post pics,gimme a minute.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Body shops I talked too said,by the time they wetsanded the newer paint down to level with the old paint,that they'd be threw the clear and into the paint of the newer paint....so had to be refinished.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't even think of that possibility before I took off my moldings, good thing my car wasn't repainted.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BadMrFrossty
More than likely IF the car has been repainted, the moldings were not taken off. Do you think the car was repainted the the stock color or was the color changed? Also, if there is molding on the car then the original paint is under the molding and should be in good condition. I've peeled moldings off a high mileage 95, high mileage 01 and low mileage 00 and the paint looked like it was new; once cleaned up. But these cars, to my knowledge weren't repainted. Is this on your Formula?
Yes, the formula. It is the stock color, I believe it was keyed before I had it, thus repainted on one side. For sure the rear quarter area, possibly the door as well. I can see overspray on the trim of the rocker, by the sail panel.

Originally Posted by bootleg<detroit>
Body shops I talked too said,by the time they wetsanded the newer paint down to level with the old paint,that they'd be threw the clear and into the paint of the newer paint....so had to be refinished.
Thanks for the pics. How much did it cost you and just how much did they refinish? Because I think mine is just on one side.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Cool. Love the Formula's color BTW. Yeah, I'm biased, lol. Artic White is such a pure, clean color. Sorry I wasn't much help but goodluck with whatever course of action you choose to take. Pictures would be nice.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by keliente
Thanks for the pics. How much did it cost you and just how much did they refinish? Because I think mine is just on one side.
Paid $400 to refinish both sides from the body line down
Old 01-07-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only way to correct the problem is by feathering the paint lines back and refinishing the panel. You cannot wet sand and buff out a paint line to the point that it cannot be seen, especially if sealer or primer was applied.

Any quality paint shop will remove the mouldings as well as the belt mouldings, handles, lock cylender, ect. to refinish a panel.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

i'm having the same problem with the b4c. it was a fl car and was two toned... so the company i bought it from repainted it and of course didn't take the moldings off. i hate the moldings but there's no way i'm going to take the chance of it looking like **** since i'm planning to paint it this summer anyway.

Quick Reply: Removing body side molding that's been painted over