Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Sherwin Williams or PPG

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sherwin Williams or PPG

Which is the better paint? Sherwin Williams or PPG?
Old 01-17-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Which is the better paint? Sherwin Williams or PPG?

You'll get a lot of different opinions on that. PPG is the "BIG" name along with DuPont, but I've used Sherwin Williams auto paint and it is excellent. They have a line of products called Ultra 7000 which is very good. Another paint you may want to consider is Valspar. It is the parent company of House of Kolor and their paints are excellent. Very good color matches, good durability and they spray real well too.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 01-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Banned

Thats Valspar site is a good one. Now I'm undecided on paint color again I like the ferarri rosso fiorano but that HoK stuff is off da hook. Question is do I really want a kameleon paint job. Maybe cost alone can answer the question for me. Spraying a mid layer has got to at least double the expense is my thought.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Thats Valspar site is a good one. Now I'm undecided on paint color again I like the ferarri rosso fiorano but that HoK stuff is off da hook. Question is do I really want a kameleon paint job. Maybe cost alone can answer the question for me. Spraying a mid layer has got to at least double the expense is my thought.
It won't double the cost of the overall paint job, but it will certainly add to the cost of materials and some extra labor cost due to the extra coat. As far as the kameleon, or color shifting paint, that stuff is EXPENSIVE. Like over $400-500/pint. So that will definitely up the cost of the paint job.

Bryan
Old 01-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by parbreak
It won't double the cost of the overall paint job, but it will certainly add to the cost of materials and some extra labor cost due to the extra coat. As far as the kameleon, or color shifting paint, that stuff is EXPENSIVE. Like over $400-500/pint. So that will definitely up the cost of the paint job.

Bryan
Sounds like Ferrari fiorano again. I guess I'm just bored with the black. I've seen some really nice fresh black paint jobs on here and I dont think they pop as much as other colors.

This is a tough decision here and a semi agonizing one. This is the last thing to do to my car. I've always been not happy with the condition of my paint and how my car looks. I've modded everything else from inside to outside. I'm completely happy with my car except for the paint. (and maybe a Direct Port)
So now that its being painted and I can have it my way I want to make it that car I just cant take my eyes off. That I want to put a cover on everynight and keep it spotless. That you just stand there and say wow.
Know what I mean?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like Ferrari fiorano again. I guess I'm just bored with the black. I've seen some really nice fresh black paint jobs on here and I dont think they pop as much as other colors.

This is a tough decision here and a semi agonizing one. This is the last thing to do to my car. I've always been not happy with the condition of my paint and how my car looks. I've modded everything else from inside to outside. I'm completely happy with my car except for the paint. (and maybe a Direct Port)
So now that its being painted and I can have it my way I want to make it that car I just cant take my eyes off. That I want to put a cover on everynight and keep it spotless. That you just stand there and say wow.
Know what I mean?
Know exactly what you mean. If it were me I would not comprimise. If you've gone this long you can go a little longer and wait and save for the paint job you really want.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Banned

well I crashed the car so it's being painted by the insurance company. I'm going to pony up the extra bucks for a complete paint job. The shop told me he'd work with me so I'm going to go for all I can afford right now. I know I pro'lly wont be able to do the jams and underhood, but maybe I can do those myself later? Red with black doesnt look too tramatic when you open a door or hood or hatch... or would that be tacky?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Quite frankly, I would leave the underhood black even if you can afford to have it painted. That is a classic muscle car look, painted body with a black underhood. Now for the door jambs, I would try to get those painted if you can swing it.

Bryan
Old 01-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Banned

Nice! Just spoke to the insurance company. The dont care what I do once they've settled on a price with the shop.

The jams will cost more in labor than anything to tape it all off. Might be worht it though. Get it done right the first time. Then theres the hatch lid. Oh well, it's only money. OR maybe I can help tape some of it.
Question- do you need special paint for an intake? or would regular car paint be ok? I have a fast 90 waiting to go on the car. Maybe have it painted along with the rest of the car

by the way thx for all your help, I'm getting excited about my car again!
Old 01-17-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Regular auto paint will be just fine for the FAST. It will look pretty cool color matched to your car's exterior. Really tie it all together. And YES, please get the jambs done!!
Old 01-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Banned

right on! maybe have the scoop painted in the future but for now I'll just concentrate on the basics.

This is my color
Attached Thumbnails Sherwin Williams or PPG-red1.jpg  
Old 01-17-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

PPG all day long.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am stuck on PPG myself.
What-who ever you decide to use, it is best to stick with all of there materials. At least for that job.
Not a good idea to mix other brands while doing a job. When it comes to primers, paints, and thinners, ect. Stick with the same manufacture.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:45 PM
12 Second Club

I have painted and graduated form Wyotech. I have 10 years of experience and would say PPG or dupont. The base colors are going to spray similar but the dupont clear is the best you are going to get for shine and durability. Stay away from valspar. The metalics are horrible and it takes 3-5 coats to get good coverage and all of the valspar products seam to dull out after a few weeks of being outside. Don't go cheap on paint you get what you pay for with paint products
Old 01-18-2007, 01:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

PPG no question when compared to S williams. Im a Dupont guy, and the Dupont Chroma system clears are definitely the best...unless you wanna step up to the high dollar stuff like Sikkens
Old 01-18-2007, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by parbreak
Quite frankly, I would leave the underhood black even if you can afford to have it painted. That is a classic muscle car look, painted body with a black underhood. Now for the door jambs, I would try to get those painted if you can swing it.

Bryan
I agree leave under the hood black. Looks awsome.

Sherwin williams is pretty decent but I would rather have the ppg paint system over the sherwin williams.

Quick Reply: Sherwin Williams or PPG