Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Think I can pop this dent out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007 | 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Default Think I can pop this dent out?

So today I get to my car and somthing looks different, Oh wait its the dent some ******* gave me I have a small Ball-pin hammer and all I need to do is just reach around to get behind the bodywork.

Do you think I can just hammer it out?

Dont mind my uhh... clean clean car
Old 01-31-2007 | 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

You could probably get most of it out, but I don't know about right where the dent is at the wheel well because thats a crease where it rolls into the wheel well. Also if it were me I'd put a block of wood or something when I'm hammering so the pressure would be more evenly distributed.
Old 01-31-2007 | 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, sorry to say that is full blown repair.
Metal work, filler , and paint. The crease did you in. As for the age of the car and depending on the condition of the paint. Might get a little more involved when it comes to matching and blending.

Hope all goes well, were you planing on trying to take care of this yourself?
Old 01-31-2007 | 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Exactly why I am not a body man! ^^^
Old 01-31-2007 | 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got a dent just like that but on the passenger side...lol..i think a buggy at the local walmart or a car out there did it...talkin bout pissin me off....
Old 01-31-2007 | 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 618HAWK
No, sorry to say that is full blown repair.
Metal work, filler , and paint. The crease did you in. As for the age of the car and depending on the condition of the paint. Might get a little more involved when it comes to matching and blending.

Hope all goes well, were you planing on trying to take care of this yourself?

Yea I was thinking about just tapping at the dent carefully.

Do you think I could get at least some of it out?
Old 01-31-2007 | 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

nope I dont think so
Old 01-31-2007 | 04:45 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Problem is that the inner wheelhouse gets very close to the edge of the quarter panel by the wheel lip. Still, a good PDR guy could get that back in shape in an hour or so. As long as the paint isn't broken, PDR can get it.

Call (or visit ) the local BMW or Benz dealer and see who they use for PDR. There's plenty of ******* out there (just like with conventional auto body) and the high end dealers will know who's good.
Old 01-31-2007 | 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is way off topic but PORK SODA that is a very very nice looking LT1 do u have any pics of it, is that a custom paint job.

now on topic, i am sure you can get most of it out, Follow whistlers advice he is dead on.
Old 01-31-2007 | 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Whistler
Problem is that the inner wheelhouse gets very close to the edge of the quarter panel by the wheel lip. Still, a good PDR guy could get that back in shape in an hour or so. As long as the paint isn't broken, PDR can get it.

Call (or visit ) the local BMW or Benz dealer and see who they use for PDR. There's plenty of ******* out there (just like with conventional auto body) and the high end dealers will know who's good.
I agree..good idea...I get my car polished at a place that caters to only high-end cars..Local Dealers always know good cleaners, mechanics, bodymen.........[I know the guy] GOOD LUCK.
Old 01-31-2007 | 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks everybody, I think I will just slowly and carefully tap the dent until most of it is out, ill just do the best I can knowing that it wont look 100% perfect the paint is not cracked so there is luckily no need for any type of touch up.

Im not too pissed because this car has scratches and imperfections all over it, but still kinda gets on my nerves.

Thanks again!
Old 02-01-2007 | 07:01 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Pop it youself if you want, but if you "meatball" it up then the PDR guy won't be able to do it, it will have to be filled and repainted over to be right. But if you really want to try it yourself, put a paint stick in there flat against the dent and push off that. A paint stick, or a flat piece of aluminum ruler... something that keeps the pressure spread out will keep you from pushing a bunch of little "outie" dents in it.

Quick Reply: Think I can pop this dent out?