Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

underbody rust, help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 12:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default underbody rust, help!

so i had my pontiac dealer check my underbody out while they were performing a routine maintenance on the beast. they found alot of rust underneath (bought car in Illinois). i asked how to save this or prevent more, i suggested steam cleaning and he said, that won't prevent it anymore at this point and theres nothing that will eliminate the current rusts underneath. what do you guys think? anybody experiencing the same thing i am? what can I do?
Old 03-04-2007, 01:10 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

**** PLEASE POST IN THE APPROPRIATE FORUM ****

Paint & Body Work
Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

I moved it here in the correct section, you will have better results buddy!

Peace,
Craig.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:33 AM
Launching!

thanks
Old 03-04-2007, 06:55 AM
TECH Resident

Here where I live Rust Is Us. If you want stop the rust then you need to seal the area and cut off the moisture and oxygen supply to the affected area.

A very effective product that I use is called Chassis Saver (tm). Another more notorious name is POR15. These products are made to coat rusted metal and seal them from further decay. Although they look like paint they are a stride different. They bond to the prepared surface so completely that the rust below will not receive any moisture or air through the coating aspiration. These products are no joke in that they have effectiveness beyond what one would expect. Surface prep with Chassis Saver amounts to wire brushing - no primer or other surface prep. The irregular surface created by rust actually aids in the coating to metal adhesion. Once it is applied by brush or spray it becomes apparent the coating is not just paint. The downside is that like any rust repair it is time consuming and can be messy - but worth the effort and clean up if you want to preserve your car.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Launching!

I use chassis saver, had much better results with it than por-15. Same deal though, the one I heard thats really good is rust bullet.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to por15 my rear this spring should I use another brand? heres the rust bullet they say its better then por15 and I can shoot it through my hvlp gun.
http://www.rustbullet.com/ProductCar...idCategory=120
Old 03-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Launching!

You can spray any of it just need to reduce it, but you need a bigger tip for the gun. I was told to use a house paint sprayer type, never tried it. I'm not a big fan of por-15, I used it on a car a few years back, blasted the parts, prepped/painted as direction, it chipped a little and peeled off real easy. Its just too finicky. I hear great things about rust bullet, Id go with it.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

I might just use an old gun to shoot it with then.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

may not be the OFFICIAL product to use but you might consider hitting it with a grinder then taking some paint on truck bedliner. its durable cheap and it looks pretty much factory, i know a number of show cars that have gone this route on the under carrage and in the floor pans. its the way i would go.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Launching!

thanks for the info guys. this seems like too much work for my current lifestyle at the moment. is there a place i can go where i can pay for someone to do this for me? what place would that be and how much? thanks again. I really want to get rid of this problem.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

a body shop should do it. Ive checked around my area and they all said they could remove rust!
Old 03-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Default sorry, this is gonna be a long post...

thanks for all the info guys. i called a bunch of places listed on the yellow pages under the "auto body" category here in san diego. alot of them said this:
1. they steam clean the under carriage until the rust falls out
2. they coat it with a rust preventative, to stop new rust from forming and to stop current rusts from growing
3. they grind the rust off to bare metal
4. they cut the pieces off and replace them with new
(alot of them are combinations of the list above)

so far the ballpark price estimates i got through phone were between $136-$470

so i dont know what to do. i dont wanna just jump the gun without having any rust repair experience and be taken advantage of by these shops...

anyone here with alot or some experience with my rust problem? are these steps proper?

i live in san diego and bought the car in illinois 6 months ago, i drove it here and went through some snow along the way. and im not sure if the previous owners drove it through alot of salt & snow during their ownership, none the less if they even washed all that crap off and coated it with anti rust stuff. i dont think my car is badly rusted or anywhere near that. i just know there is "light" rust and i want this car well taken care of.

let me know what you guys think and feel free to throw me some suggestions... thanks!

car is a 98 t/a 54k mi.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

We have a shop locally, don't know if its a big chain or not called Ziebart. I guess they do a complete underbody coating that is supposed to prevent rust. I'm thinking about having it done here.. gotta get under my car to see if its bad at all. had to drive it through the salt this winter .

Quick Reply: underbody rust, help!