Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

After hitting a huge lab...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default After hitting a huge lab...

Was going about 50mph and saw a dog running across in front of me so I slammed on my breaks to miss the dog and right as I got past him another dog darted out from the ditch into the front right side of my car and smashed into my car. Unfortunately I couldn't slam on the breaks and swurve to the left to miss this dog because the other dog stood in the lefthand side and I didn't have enough time...Sigh...The damage was catastrophic, I never knew a dog could F things up this bad...

So far from what I can gather the list of what will have to be replaced:
Full Bumper, Headlights, Foglights, TurnSignal (all housing and bulbs) , All connecting brackets and mounts connecting the bumper and headlights to frame, Right front panel (located next to the hood).

What a night...The Camaro will be outa commission for a while I do believe...

Here's the pictures, anyone give me a little advice and some estimations on this??

Please disregard the oil and other stuff under the car, normally thats where the Grand Cherokee Parks..

Old 03-12-2007, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that blows *** at least you didn't drive over it. we had a family friend run over a german shephard the first month he owned the car and it ripped apart his drivetrain and oil pan... told the shop workers he didn't know what happened until they looked at all the fur stuck under the car...
Old 03-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Holy cow. Glad you're okay. A neighbor hit a mastiff with his son's VW bug and the car needed frame work in addition to a front end and one side of sheetmetal.

Hopefully you can find parts on Ebay in the same color. Nice SS man, sorry to hear about the hit.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:19 PM
SCRWS6

It`ll buff out.......j/k sorry to hear bout the dog....I normally aim for cats... good luck with the repair.....if your gonna redo it yourself...try popping them dents in the plastic out with a heat gun....
Old 03-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SCRWS6
It`ll buff out.......j/k sorry to hear bout the dog....I normally aim for cats... good luck with the repair.....if your gonna redo it yourself...try popping them dents in the plastic out with a heat gun....
Well the unfortunate part about that is, I don't think you can see from those pictures but, the bumper and the panel are torn and have numerous holes in them for some reason ....

It seems my only choice of action is just to buy all new parts...

Question though, is the RK Sports Front Bumper the same one as the one I have on my car now? What's the best places to get some of this stuff?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:40 PM
SCRWS6

hmm...... can cut out the torn parts......just make sure you get the right kind of filler....it basically fills and hardens to the same consistency as the bumper.... just gotta back fill it with tape, metal whatever your liking till it hardens......
Old 03-12-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

If by any chance you know who the owner of the dog is, their insurance would have to cover it. They are responsible for the dog if it isn't on their property. Good luck with this.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Did the dog **** when you hit it or is that mud on the side of the car?
Old 03-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1QWKT/A
Did the dog **** when you hit it or is that mud on the side of the car?
Dog ****.....Gives you an idea about how mauled the dog got also...

I got the quote back today, for all new parts, painting, materials, labor, replacements, ended up to a total of $1800....I was expecting more, but still a great deal of money for a ******* dog...
Old 03-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Poor dog! Did it have tags?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gd1996
Poor dog! Did it have tags?
Coroner time of death tags?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry to hear about your car. I would be on the look out for who's dog that was. Good luck gettin' it fixed back up.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, that sucks for both you and the dog.

I just got some damage almost identical to that repaired. My GF's Neighbor backed into my car when it was sitting on the street for 15min while my GF got ready to leave. Luckly she was nice enough to come to the door and tell me about it and give me her insurance info. I think it ended up costing almost $2300, so you got off a little cheaper than her insurance company did.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

Thats not a bad price quote. I had similar damage in the same area. Fender, front bumper, headlight, fog..ect, ect. Cost the insurance company $2800. Course, it wasnt mine, someone backed into my car here at work. Crazy part was when he told me. I though he was joking. Then he got frightend when I was holding a breaker bar.

Ski
Old 03-13-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ehhhh that quote seems a little high to me. All those parts can be purchased for pretty cheap here on the forums. The only costly part would be paint if you got a diff. colored bumper, and that shouldn't even cost that much. If you buy the parts from these forums and pay for a new paint color or just want the bumper repainted, id say your looking at 900 bucks TOPS!

150.00-200.00 for a bumper cover
50.00-100.00 for the brackets (entire set)
80.00 for a new set of clears markers (pair)
dunno what headlights go for but lets say 50.00-100.00 used from here (pair)
400.00 paint (optional if you get a bumper that is already your color)

so at the high end id say 880.00

But then again, there are crazy deals everyday in the sales forum due to wrecked cars and part outs. I would check there first, buy all my parts used, sell off the **** that wasn't damaged (the good headlight, fog-light and clear corner) and just get that **** painted. Your car will be out of commission for as long as it takes to ship your parts.

Anyways, just my opinion.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so how are you paying for it?? out of pocket, insurance? because Im pretty sure if you find out who the dog was for that they are responable for the damages to your car.... but im pretty sure you would need a police report... just throwing it out there in case you've never heard this
Old 03-13-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

holy ****, looks like you hit a elephant not a lab lol... that sucks i hit a deer in my old car and cracked the hole front end apart