Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Accident/Insurance/Paint HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident/Insurance/Paint HELP!!

My car was in an accident and they have to end up painting 3/4's of the car. I really would like the whole exterior of the car to be painted. Any way I can get the insurance to pay for it?

They are painting the hood, front bumper, drivers front quarter, drivers door, driver rear quarter, rear bumper, rear wing, trunk lid, and the sail panel behind the t-tops....

All that is left to be painted is the passenger side front and rear quarters and door, along with the 2 headlights.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Just pay for it out of pocket unless there is something ultra special about it, it may be hard getting them to go all the way. It never hurts to simply ask though sometimes it works miracles.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont have an extra $1000 to pay for it....I just had to pay a $1000 deductible....thats why I asked
Old 04-27-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone else?
Old 04-29-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

$1000 for one side of the car is a hell of a lot extra especially when they are doing all the prep work anyhow. I would try to negotiate that down some, but whatever I would do everything you could to get the whole car painted.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You call the shots with your car if it is there repair shop, period. I did not settle with my repair job on my old SS until I think the 7th time they called me down to say it was "done". The shop gets paid whatever they charge the insurance company. Tell them you are overly **** and if it is not 100% perfect you will demand the whole car get painted because that would be the appropriate way to repair the car to it's original insured condition. And if it's Silver you have great nego- power =p.

Also, don't paint your headlights, I think it's illegal (sarcastic) =p.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

I'd flip the bodyshop owner 5 bills cash and get it done. u gotta talk to the top.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99SSinOC
You call the shots with your car if it is there repair shop, period. I did not settle with my repair job on my old SS until I think the 7th time they called me down to say it was "done". The shop gets paid whatever they charge the insurance company. Tell them you are overly **** and if it is not 100% perfect you will demand the whole car get painted because that would be the appropriate way to repair the car to it's original insured condition. And if it's Silver you have great nego- power =p.

You could not be more wrong, 99SSinOC. I deal with insurance companies all the time, and it only has to meet their expectations for repair to the same condition it was in before the accident. Not meaning the car has to be 100% perfect. The body shop can leave rock chips and blend the paint, too. They do not have to paint the whole car, just the area that is damaged.

If he ticks the shop off, by being an arrogant jack ***, like you are suggesting, it will only hurt himself, 99SSinOC. Being polite and working with us body shops guys is the only true way to get the best results.

Just talk to the shop owner and let him know your concerns about wanting the whole car painted, and see what you guys can work out.

Being polite will go alot further than making demands/being arrogant like 99SSinOC stated. That's a crazy way to be.

Last edited by Tim Noel; 04-30-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your thinking is screwing the body shop. The insurance company tells the shop what it will pay for the job. If they have to keep repainting they don't get reimbursed for it. It's not the shop or the insurance companies fault you were in an accident and CHOSE to have a high deductible.
Step up to the plate, it's your fault why should someone else have to pay for it?
Us body shops fight for every dime we get from insurance companies and if you have a company like Progressive God help us both..........

oh..... key word is "pre-wrecked condition"
If you had rock chips before the accident why would we fix them for FREE if it's not on a panel we are already repainting?
Old 05-01-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Sorry, I am a body shops worst nightmare when it comes to getting my car fixed, I don't let some body shop paint with runs and have terrible blends and non-matching panels onto my car. Nor do I like shitty body prep with sanding marks. I sent it back every time for just cause, not to be a *****. Thanks

And I know you're not referring to me to "step up to the plate". My deductible is $100....

And for the record, my car was hit by a white trash hillbilly in a lifted bronco after wooping his *** in a fight at a club.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Sorry, I am a body shops worst nightmare when it comes to getting my car fixed, I don't let some body shop paint with runs and have terrible blends and non-matching panels onto my car. Nor do I like shitty body prep with sanding marks. I sent it back every time for just cause, not to be a *****. Thanks

And I know you're not referring to me to "step up to the plate". My deductible is $100....

And for the record, my car was hit by a white trash hillbilly in a lifted bronco after wooping his *** in a fight at a club.

You need to have a better attitude with life, my friend.

You call the guy a white trash hillbilly, but use the word "wooping"? Ok...

Why come off being such a jerk? Sorry, but you have just rubbed me the wrong way, and your attitude is horrible. Seriously, man.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

*laughs* This is getting way side-tracked, I am a dick when it comes to my car being repaired, it's called being ****. I'm now white trash for using the word "wooping?" Holy crap man, you gotta lighten up and take some Zanex or something. Taking a stab at my life because I'm picky with paint and use the word wooping... whew.

And please, my life is just dandy... I'll take you thinking I'm a jerk and anyone else.. some people are picky with paint, and some are not willing to take a sucker punch from a white trash hillbilly in a lifted bronco.

Body shops and people who work for them are going to tell you to deal with whatever they give you, so long as it's nothing obnoxiously horrible. Some customers are picky as hell, and the body shops (If they have been around for any amount of time), know that people are picky when it comes to paint sometimes. Best bet to keep these guys happy on here is to "make friends" with the manager or something and pay him extra to spray the panel(s).

Last edited by 99SSinOC; 05-01-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

*laughs* This is getting way side-tracked, I am a dick when it comes to my car being repaired, it's called being ****. I'm now white trash for using the word "wooping?" Holy crap man, you gotta lighten up and take some Zanex or something.

And please, my life is just dandy... I'll take you thinking I'm a jerk and anyone else.. some people are picky with paint, and some are not willing to take a sucker punch from a white trash hillbilly in a lifted bronco.
Anyone call you white trash? Must have missed that one.. Zanex, for what? Wow..

Picky, and being an arrogant jerk are 2 different things. Know what I mean? I'm not the first person in this thread to see how you come off as brash and arrogant with the "demands" ect..

Like I said before, being polite will get the original poster alot farther than what you are suggesting for him to do.

And like already stated above, the body shop does not charge the insurance company whatever they want to. They only get paid what the insurance company is willing to pay for the repairs on the claim.

Maybe you can be open to suggestion, and have a better attitude. It will carry you alot further in life, I promise.

P.S. I see you edited what you first said, so I see no point with arguing against your **** poor attitude towards us collision repair guys. As with any profession, there are good and bad ones.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Teri9672
Step up to the plate, it's your fault why should someone else have to pay for it?
Teri I agree with you for the most part but this statement is a bit retarded. Yes it is not their fault that you got into an accident. But yes they (the insurance company) should damn well pay for it, thats WHY we have insurance. That and medical bills resulting from accidents. Otherwise it would be worthless. You pay them for a service, that service being that they will repair your car to pre accident condition, so yeah it's their problem. I do agree though that they are only responsible for pre accident condition and screwing the body shop is no way to do things. In my own personal experience I would try taking it to a good local body shop rather then a dealer because a local shop is more likely to work with you and is typically more reasonable with the price. Try not to worry too much about having the whole car repainted either, as nice as it would be I've found most body shops I've dealt with to do amazing work.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

i was in the same boat as u, my whole car was getting painted accept my drivers door, and drivers side rear quarter panel, so i paid an extra 150 outta my pokcet for them to do the whole car
Old 05-02-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeresous
Teri I agree with you for the most part but this statement is a bit retarded. Yes it is not their fault that you got into an accident. But yes they (the insurance company) should damn well pay for it, thats WHY we have insurance.
what I meant by that statement is.... the original poster wanted the insurance company to pay to have his entire car painted when the repairs didn't include the entire car. He wanted it painted without him having to pay it because he had already paid a $1000.00 deductible.
The insurance company shouldn't have to pay for it and the shop shouldn't have to eat the cost. He set up his insurance with the high deductible.

I don't let some body shop paint with runs and have terrible blends and non-matching panels onto my car. Nor do I like shitty body prep with sanding marks.
I think you just picked a shitty shop to do your repairs. Our shop would never let something with runs and crappy bodywork out the door. My point was you can't tell someone to keep sending the car back until it's perfect because lets face it, our cars did not roll off the assembly line perfect. I know we have 6 Camaros right now. Like I mentioned before, your car will be repaired to prewrecked condition.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I work for an insurance company and everyone is correct that your car will be repaired to pre-accident condition. If you must have the entire car repainted that would be out of your pocket. I've seen many shops around here that do excellent paint work. With the rock chips on a bumper or rust on a 1/4 panel if you happened to get hit there consider yourself lucky as the insurance company isn't going to put normal wear/tear stuff back into that part. Hence you smash your bumper that had rock chips... you get a like kind quality or OEM bumper, (brand new) painted and looks like it came from the showroom floor. Quit whining as our premiums are high enough as it is... take it to a REPUTABLE repair shop and avoid the dealer.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

$150???? the shop wants $150 to just paint my 2 headlight covers!! They want an extra $1700 to paint the passenger side front, rear and door!!

talk about rip off
Old 05-02-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Jesus! I get the whole car painted at my cost looking like show quality cut and polished for 1580 bucks out the door =p That sucks man, but being that expensive they better do some sick *** paint work.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by my01ws6
$150???? the shop wants $150 to just paint my 2 headlight covers!! They want an extra $1700 to paint the passenger side front, rear and door!!

talk about rip off
At that point you might try another shop. Even if your having to stick with shops approved by your insurance company there has to be more in your area and your insurance company will probably be okay if you tell them you just aren't happy with the shop.

Quick Reply: Accident/Insurance/Paint HELP!!