Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painted my Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painted my Intake

Didn't come out exactly how I wanted. Maybe if I sand the clear in a few days it will look a little better. What I learned though, is that I suck at painting and next time will let someone else do it.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

At least you gave it a shot. Try sanding it down.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Sanding these intakes smooth is a PITA because of all the nooks and crannies. Best solution I've found is a quick sand for some mechanical adhesion, 2 coats of adhesion promoter, then a couple pretty thick coats of high build primer before laying on base. Comes out super smooth and slick:

Bryan
parbreak
Old 05-04-2007, 03:57 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Louie83
Didn't come out exactly how I wanted. Maybe if I sand the clear in a few days it will look a little better. What I learned though, is that I suck at painting and next time will let someone else do it.
Sure, some things are best left to "experts". This stuff is not too complicated for us mere mortals, though. Just consider this first attempt a learning experience. Determine what went wrong, and correct it next time. I just did a bunch of stuff for my car, and I made some mistakes also. I do not think anyone will notice my mistakes, but I still determined what I did wrong so I can avoid them next time.

Edited to add the following.
I would advise following Parbreak's "how to" very closely. Some advocate lots of clear. I think that may have caused some minor problems for me. Also, do not let base and clear over-dry between coats. If for some reason you are interrupted and you cannot lay all your base and clear down at one time (allowing the curing times Parbreak recommends), scuff it with 400 grit and start over with base. My first mistake was not properly scuffing the base I let dry so I could remove a mark I made in the wet paint. The second might be applying too much clear.

Last edited by bsf; 05-04-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by parbreak
Sanding these intakes smooth is a PITA because of all the nooks and crannies. Best solution I've found is a quick sand for some mechanical adhesion, 2 coats of adhesion promoter, then a couple pretty thick coats of high build primer before laying on base. Comes out super smooth and slick:
Bryan
parbreak
I followed your guide as well as the other person's guide who has pictures in his.

I sanded the absolute hell out of it. You suggested a minumum of 400 grit if using high build primer - I went to 1000. I sanded the high build primer super smooth as well.

The silver base came out pretty good I think. I just wish I could watch someone paint something plastic like this once. I'm so afraid that I'm going to spray it on too thick, so I do it light and spread it out over 6 or 7 coats instead of 3 or 4. Maybe I'm doing too much misting which is causing it to be uneven.

Either way, the real problems arose when I added the anodized blue over the silver. It didn't come out nearly as nice as when done on my calipers. In fact, the first time I did the blue it was so rough the top coat would crumble off if you touched it. So I waited a week, then sanded it smooth again until some silver could be seen again. This time I think I laid it on too thick

I don't know. It looks like I was drunk and half-assed it when I really spent A LOT of time on it. Depressing.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Louie83
I followed your guide as well as the other person's guide who has pictures in his.

I sanded the absolute hell out of it. You suggested a minumum of 400 grit if using high build primer - I went to 1000. I sanded the high build primer super smooth as well.

The silver base came out pretty good I think. I just wish I could watch someone paint something plastic like this once. I'm so afraid that I'm going to spray it on too thick, so I do it light and spread it out over 6 or 7 coats instead of 3 or 4. Maybe I'm doing too much misting which is causing it to be uneven.

Either way, the real problems arose when I added the anodized blue over the silver. It didn't come out nearly as nice as when done on my calipers. In fact, the first time I did the blue it was so rough the top coat would crumble off if you touched it. So I waited a week, then sanded it smooth again until some silver could be seen again. This time I think I laid it on too thick

I don't know. It looks like I was drunk and half-assed it when I really spent A LOT of time on it. Depressing.
One of the things about spraying it light/heavy, the main thing is to ALWAYS keep moving your spray. You can mist it on it a lot of passes per coat. You don't want it to run by saturating it. There is a perfect balance of moving the can too fast and not going fast enough to where you develop runs. If you start over, know that you will get in done in 3 to 4 coats and spray accordingly.

That is something weird with the anodized blue though. Was it the same type of paint you used as the silver base?
Old 05-05-2007, 04:36 AM
On The Tree

on a side note, is the intake easy to take off? Ive been thinkin of painting mine
Old 05-05-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
If you start over, know that you will get in done in 3 to 4 coats and spray accordingly.

That is something weird with the anodized blue though. Was it the same type of paint you used as the silver base?
About starting over - how can I get the current paint off?

And the anadodized blue is a Duplicolor Metalcast. The silver is an Acrylic Lacquer Duplicolor.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

You can get like a paint thinner/aircraft stripper. You could also sand it all off, but that would clog things up. I would go a chemical route. It will all curd right up and be really easy to remove. As for the paint, maybe the Duplicolor Metalcast is having a problem with the plastic. I'm not too familiar with it. I assume it can be used on plastic right, if properly prepped?
Old 05-05-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

i really want to paint mine but i just dont have the time . But hey aleast you tried.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
You can get like a paint thinner/aircraft stripper. You could also sand it all off, but that would clog things up. I would go a chemical route. It will all curd right up and be really easy to remove. As for the paint, maybe the Duplicolor Metalcast is having a problem with the plastic. I'm not too familiar with it. I assume it can be used on plastic right, if properly prepped?
Some people are telling me that paint thinner or aircraft stripper might eat the plastic. Is there any truth to this?
Old 05-06-2007, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

so was the intake easy to take off?
Old 05-06-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

My engine is a 99, it has the LS1 intake. I bought this LS6 intake, and I haven't taken the stock intake off yet.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

The almighty Paint Fumes Director Parbreak suggested using Lacquer Thinner and wiping it off. Here is a thread with that advice.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/611622-what-use-get-paint-off-intake.html
Old 05-06-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Aircraft stripper will work just fine also, just don't let it sit too long.

Parbreak "Almighty"
Old 05-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Teching In

You dont have to resand it all the way back down to black plastic. Just smooth out your paint and reprime it. Then reshoot your color and clear..
Old 05-06-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackbird9984
You dont have to resand it all the way back down to black plastic. Just smooth out your paint and reprime it. Then reshoot your color and clear..
Good info.

So when I use stripper/thinner, will that just take off the paint or does that take off primer as well?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Use aircraft remover.It will take off everything. Thinner will probably work alright but aircraft remover is a little easier.Its sometimes pretty messy though thats why I would just scuff it up good and reprime. Since its pretty fresh paint though it should eat it off pretty easily. If you have a high pressure washer I would spray the aircraft remover on the intake let the paint bubble up a little bit then spray off with water. Repeat as much as needed till your done. Hopefully not too much sanding.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

How do you guys spray the intakes, with a gun sprayer or can paint?

BTW, I used that same blue paint for one of my projects, and came out alright.
http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?i...build058xj4.jpg
http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?...build059xb9.jpg
http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?...build060fn0.jpg
Old 05-11-2007, 07:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would not use a chemical stripper, or thinner!!!
It could soften the plastic and ruin the intake.
Use what you already have on there as a filler.
So all you need to do is just sand it smooth with 320 or 400 then apply 2 coats of a high build primer, then sand smooth.
If you still see dimples and it is not completely smooth then re-apply more primer and then sand smooth again. The smoother the primer is the smoother the base and clear will lay down!

Try to think of primer as liquid filler!

Quick Reply: Painted my Intake