Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Minor Fender Bender, How Much to Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor Fender Bender, How Much to Fix?

I accidentally rear-ended some lady in a POS Malibu. When it happened she was more worried about her cigarette than she was about trading information and pulling off of the main street. I was only going about 10 MPH when I hit her, I was about to switch lanes and she stopped to wait for somebody to turn. There is quite a bit of "spider-webbing" in my paint on the front bumper, and the corners of the "nostrils" bent from getting rammed into my hood. Also, my drivers side head lamp is noticeably out of alignment. How much do you guys think this will cost to fix?

Old 05-14-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

and yes i know i need to polish REALLY BAD
Old 05-14-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

anybody? id like to get a formula bumper if i end up having to replace the bumper.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

It appears, that all it did was spider crack your paint when it flexed from the impact. Not hardly a cause to get a new bumper, unless you just really want to change it. I am only going on a few pics that don't show the whole picture, though.

Take it to a body shop and get estimates. Most do them for no charge. None of us can honestly tell you a price by looking at pics, as we are all ~pissing in the wind~ with estimates on here. You can only truly tell what needs fixed by an "in person" inspection, to look for hidden damage. I have wrote my fair share of estimates for collision work over the last decade +, so I feel this is the best advice I can tell you.

Sorry for your misfortune.

P.S. It just appears to need paint work/minor adjustment, but I can't tell from the pics if it pushed anything back. Pics just never tell the whole story, and there is nothing better than a "hands on" inspection for an accurate quote.

Last edited by Tim Noel; 05-15-2007 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

gonna have to be sanded all the way down, reprimered and painted, there is no way to fix that without stripping the bumper down. Id say probably around 300 or so to strip it and repaint it, 450 to blend it into the hood and fenders.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

thanks for all the help, i guess ill just go see if a body shot will give me an estimate. the only way im getting a new bumper is if it would cost less to get a new one then it would to fix this one.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:10 AM
Staging Lane

sucks b/c your going to have to reshoot the whole bumper the make it look right
Old 05-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd reccomend getting a new bumper because to get that smooth again it's going to have to be sanded down to the bare plastic and primered... which is no big deal, but if you bump something again, it'll crack just like it is now. If you're on a budget, fix the old bumper, but if you want to do it right, get a new bumper and have it painted with the proper flex addditives. The tweaked headlight assemble you can probably re-align.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

go to Richey Collision! they rock. they won't let you be dissappointed!
Old 05-17-2007, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Whistler
I'd reccomend getting a new bumper because to get that smooth again it's going to have to be sanded down to the bare plastic and primered... which is no big deal, but if you bump something again, it'll crack just like it is now. If you're on a budget, fix the old bumper, but if you want to do it right, get a new bumper and have it painted with the proper flex addditives. The tweaked headlight assemble you can probably re-align.
This makes no sense. A new bumper, or using the same one will not matter, if you bump something again. IT WILL CRACK EITHER WAY, with new, or by re-using your original bumper. This is not even correct to suggest, as we have done them both ways in our collision shop, and if you hit something with a rubber/urethane bumper, it's going to flex, and the paint is going to crack 90% of the time, anyway.

Buying a new bumper is just a waste of money to the customer, as he can make it look as good as new, with no problems. Besides, if you hit something with the new bumper, he'll be back in the same position he is in right now. Correct? Only way a new bumper makes sense, is if the body shop is going to charge more to strip it, than a new bumper will cost.

Last edited by Tim Noel; 05-17-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

i think i am going to buy a new bumper because i really want a formula front bumper.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

shouldn't need a front bumper just a paint job that will prolly run about 300 for the bumper.

Quick Reply: Minor Fender Bender, How Much to Fix?