Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

body kit molding

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body kit molding

Anyone know what this process involves? i have the wings west kit and love the look of it molded on. just curious as to what it's all about. any help is appreciated...thanks!
Old 05-18-2007, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

anybody?
Old 05-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Im going to say I have this same question. Im undecided on if I should mold the front and rear skirts. The reasons not to is pretty simple. If you ever scrape the molded on skirts on something. The mud will crack and look real -----. If you are wanting to do this yourself your looking at alot of manhours sanding glue and mud. Basically what you will want to do is glue the peices on and then use mud/filler to fill in the bad spots. If you can get away with using all glue then it will still mostlikely crack but glue is much more flexable then filler.Another reason to not mold is that if you do scrape the hell out of these skirts you will have to have the whole bumper repainted to fix.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

FINALLY somebody posts something lol! well basically this car will be a show car/weekend fun so i'm not real worried about breaking stuff or anything but you do bring up a good point. i just think it looks so much better than with lines. espeically since i'm planning on saving the side markers,door handles, and fillin in the gap in the rear bumper cover.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:35 AM
Teching In

Yea I got the vizage kit sittin in my livin room. Bumpers in back of truck. Just lookin for the time to do everything. Im not going to mold mine on but I am planning on putting some bolts in the skirting so i can bolt it onto my bumpers so the 3m double sided tape doesnt let loose over time. I know that all it takes to make that **** crack is one gas station driveway rub. Happened a million times with my firebird and this thing is going to sit alot lower then the gm skirting. I do agree though the molded look is awesome looking just make sure your extreemly careful cause It sux reworking crap all the time. Since your planning on doing all the molding and shaving look into the c5 mirrors that some people have started using. Looks pretty damn good in my opinion.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:39 AM
ZRO
Staging Lane

Duramix plastic repair works good. Test fit your kit then once its in place just use the plastic repair to fill in the seam to you liking. Then sand it smooth and do again if nesscary. Then finish the small **** with glazing putty since it sands easy. Its not that hard just time comsuming. Oh and also use a good primer it will help minor imprefections ( no spray can ).
Old 05-22-2007, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

thanks! appreciate the help!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Also look into spies hecker raderal spray polyester 3508. I have used it a few times now and am starting to see it used alot more. Its about 50 bucks a quart but its well worth it. It sands really easy and will lay perfect. Less sanding.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

what about plastic welding? i just saw a post on another forum and it said plastic welding was the way to go to get that "made into the bumper" look.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:39 AM
Teching In

Im not to sure about plastic welding. I usually glue everything together. I dont like plastic welding but the plastic welder we have at work sucks so it could just be that I havent used a good plastic welder. I would pm the guy that did it and see what he thought.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Also when you use putty to fix all the inperfections use poly flex flexible putty because if not you will have crack marks with time. Use 5887 plastic repair by 3m for filling the seems but make sure you rough both edges good with at least 80grt then start filling. that epoxy glue is not cheap neither about 40 bucks a piece and you will end up using a good 5 or 6.

Quick Reply: body kit molding