Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

got copletely screwed over by USSA insurance

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default got copletely screwed over by USAA insurance

About a month ago my car wa hit in the passengers rear quarter, it cracked my door and dented in the quarter and took a couple gouges out of my wheel.(ill post up some pics tom) so i go for an estiment find out it will be like 3000$ but no prob cause her insurance would pay for it right? i fax them the estiment and they say they will write me a check to fix it. 2 days later they change their mind and they come and do their own and decide to total out my car. now of couse im not ok with that so i argue it. the guy says he will do what he can.......? so he finds a bunch of shitty reconditioned parts and a wheel, his estiment came to 2445$. he says i have to take that to any body shop show them his estiment and have them fix it and find parts for me. Its bullshit and ik it cant be fixed that cheap, is there anything i can do other that sue the mother ******?????

car is in sig and ik 3g's would never total it!!!

any sugestions???

Last edited by 93blcZ28; 05-31-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

For an ins company to total a car depends on the value of the car and at what percent of that value the ins company decides to consider it totaled. As much as it sucks, they use the book value. So anything you have done to it or any personal value is out the door.

I previously owned a 92 5.0 that was in mint condition. I got in a car accident and state farm made me get it quoted at one of the body shops on their "list." The car only booked for about 3700, but the damage for a new fender, bumper cover, set of headlights, and a few other small things through Ford was more than 75% of the value. While I new I could repair the car for 700 bucks easily, that was not at one of their shops. I ended up taking the 3700 from state farm for the coverage and bought the car back for 500 with a title of destruction. I parted out the car and just made as much as I could off of it. I heard that there is a way to fix the car and get back to a salvage title, but never looked into it.

I assume you meant USAA instead of USSA, not sure though. If so, I have a very good friend that works at the main office in SA, Tx. I can give her a call and ask a few questions for you, she works in the claims dept.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

One of the key factors in totaling a car is what the salvage value is. A lot of good fixable cars get totaled out because they bring way too much money at the salvage auctions.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Sorry to unravel an old thread but I have a question about USAA'a business tactics.

One of their clents was the at-fault driver in a collision and they've assumed liability for the repair. However, they're trying to force me to accept reconditioned parts. The accident happened in Texas.

Do they have the right to force junk parts on me?? Where can I fine information about my rights as the claimant??
Old 09-20-2008, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

It depends on the state and how old the vehicle is, but most places it's going to be LKQ (like kind and quality) parts. The way they look at it is your car is used, so the parts on your car are used, so they replace them with........
you guessed it, used parts.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

They usually do that so it saves them money, but it just depends on them.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

American Family has always used new parts on any body damage. My wife's 2v was hit earlier this year and took $4200 in damage, but it was fixed and everything replaced was new. New rim, quarter skin, trunk lid.... etc.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

You need to find a body shop that will work with you. I've got USAA, and a USAA approved body shop that I'm very pleased with. When I damaged my truck, USAA only authorized cheap-assed Chinese parts. Truck was over 3 years old or something, and that was their policy. I told the claims agent that I didn't remember getting a discount at the three year point to make up for their "savings". But, since the accident was my fault, I didn't have much recourse.
I had told the shop I wouldn't accept the vehicle with anything less than original equipment, and was willing to pay the difference (it would have been minor). The shop ordered their USAA-approved ghetto beer can parts, and they didn't fit right (they pretty much already knew this would be the case). They billed the supplier for a refund on the parts, plus labor. I ended up with American steel at no additional cost. Plus, USAA and the shop guarantees the work for life.
If you have the option, find a body shop that has a good rep and is approved by USAA. Let them know you won't accept anything less than excellent work. Let USAA pay them directly. That way, if there is a problem, USAA will go to bat for you and withhold payment until it's done right.
And no, they can't force junk parts on you. Just like you don't have to accept their decision to total your car. The accident was their client's fault, not yours. Be professional, but firm with them about what you are willing to accept. Don't get emotional. If they won't be reasonable, you can always take them to small claims court.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

i had a similar problem on my V6. chick hit my rear bumper and cracked it. no big deal.go to the only shop i am willing to take my car to. went ahead got an estimatetrying to make things flow as easy as possible. few days later i get a hold of her insurance (farm bureou) they told me that i had to bring my car up to them to look at it which is 30 miles away. As he said "we don't waste our time with driveable cars". i was in high school and co-oped to work with no time. after arguing with the guy because he wanted me to go to one of those drive thru body shops. after getting some extra help in convincing. i get a phone call asking for my info on the car. before i got out of school to reply he had come to my school and looked at the car. all is well right... NO. he goes behind my back and give me a check for used parts. that finally pissed me off enough to go up there. he put his hand out and shake my hand and i stuck the check in his. told him i flat would not use used parts. after thoroughly tearing him apart he saw it my way. until he did it again.

point is in TN if a car is older than 2 years legally they can force "refurbished parts". no matter how nice the car. i got the corporate office involved and all. in my case it was over $80 difference. i wish you luck in your situation
Old 09-20-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

every insurance company uses junk yard parts, there is nothing wrong with the junk yard LKQ the low ball insurance companies have low ball labor rates, use jap crap parts, fix everything,
just becasue you think your car is the best thing on 4 wheels to an adjustor who goes by a blue book or nada, it is nothing more then a figure to him, customer can ask for new oem parts sure no problem, but when that estimate goes over and the car is totaled, then to save the car we use junk yard parts
i put on junk yard 1/4 all day long it dont bother me, fix used fenders and bumpers, we have to we have no choice, insurance company wants it thats what they get, and you would never know it was a used part
Old 09-20-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

don't think my car was the best thing but maybe you should keep such statements for people that you actualy know. i have had very bad experience with junk parts. there was nothing wrong with my bumper before, why should i settle just because they insure a bad driver. as i stated before, here the law is on their side. this wasn't my first experience with cheap parts on cars in the garage (not mine). i feel you get what you pay for
Old 09-21-2008, 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by buellxb12s
point is in TN if a car is older than 2 years legally they can force "refurbished parts". no matter how nice the car. i got the corporate office involved and all. in my case it was over $80 difference. i wish you luck in your situation
Damn! That sucks dude. I work for an insurance company, and just last year CA passed a law stating that insurance companies can't force "preferred" shops for claims. You can go wherever you please. Also, with my company you can tack on OEM replacement parts to your policy for hardly anything.
I guess cali's passed a few good laws for cars here.

My advice to anyone whose unhappy with their insurance companies claims is to file a complaint with the dept. of insurance for your state (most places you can do it online). If you really get them good, they're some hefty fines involved! Plus, even if your complaint gets denied, it's still a ding on their record.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:15 AM
Launching!

also in california, if you are hit by someone and they are at fault, their insurance company must use oem parts if you request it, also if you have upgraded your car, you can show receipts and they are responsible for a percentage of what you paid depending on how long the parts have been on the car. I have gone through both scenarios of being hit and having the car fix and being hit and it being totaled
Old 09-22-2008, 09:48 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Normally if the repairs cost 80% or more of the value of the car they will total it. On older cars they will want to put aftermarket or lkq or used parts on it to do the repair, even if you car is perfect your going to wind up with used or aftermarket parts.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any time you want to fight it you will get more. They want to settle it with as little time as they can. I had a car that got totaled they had a car in the news paper ans said they would give me 3500.00. I told them that my car was more like one that was for sale for 7500.00. They paid me 6500.00 no more questions. Have car for sale in ur area that are like your car. They have to replace your car with like value. You do not have to take what they offer. If you dont like there offer go to court. But you need to do ur home work.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Sorry for the delayed reply... busy here.

Thank you all for your responses and excellent advice. I could see why, if I was the USAA client, I would be forced to accept parts that are inferior to what was damaged. However, since I was the innocent party and signed no such agreement with USAA, I just can't accept USAA's BS.

I'll try fighting this and will post my result. If a fair agreement is not met my only recourse is to sell the car less than two years after this claim and attempt collection of the depreciated value. What a PITA...

UPDATE: As it turns out the shop already made the repairs even though I told them I'm negotiating with USAA. At this point I'm wondering if they're somehow in league with the insurance companies. It really pi$$es me off to get the shaft and be powerless to fight it. It looks like my only recourse is to ensure I sell the car in less than two years and have plenty of evidence in the form of confirmable estimates and purchase/trade-in offers so I can make a follow-up claim for depreciated value. NOT HAPPY WITH USAA!!!

Last edited by Mike1234; 10-01-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Launching!

See UPDATE ^^^

Quick Reply: got copletely screwed over by USSA insurance